Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain-free Primal Flax Bread page

nina_70 Guest

Shop Now

This might have been posted before, but just in case...this has become our absolute favorite bread substitute. It's the closest I've come to a true bread texture with no grains whatsoever. And, it's really easy to make.

Taken from here:

http://bearmedicineherbals.com/?p=394

I've modified the recipe slighty to substitute water with raw cream...makes the bread a little thicker & creamier which I like. You could also use raw milk or coconut milk.

2/3 C flax meal

1/3 C almond meal

1.5 tsp Baking Powder

3 tsp unrefined coconut oil

2 eggs

raw cream to texture desired (thick, just able to flow)

Salt to taste

Mix dry ingredients together well. Gently beat eggs together before adding (optional, but it blends better that way). Add coconut oil & cream.

The recipe will work for a regular sized pie tin or small loaf pan. Double the recipe for a more normal sized bread loaf pan.Donít forget to oil the pan well before pouring the batter in.

Cook at ~375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Toothpick or butter knife should could out clean if you insert it into the center of the bread. Enjoy fresh out of the oven or at room temperature for a nice sandwich.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

yep I think I remember seeing that one, but thanks for the reminder I wanted to try it this weekend! will double and make a big loaf xoxo Darlene

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I've just commented on a similar recipe that only uses flax meal and not almond flour. When I made it, it was very, very heavy and moist, and it had a somewhat slimy texture to it.

How does this one taste?

nina_70 Guest

chocolatechip6 - honestly this one is REALLY nice. It's the closest I've come to "real" bread (both in texture and flavor). It's slightly more crumbly than real bread, but I'm still able to use it open-face style (so, for example with cheese or liver-pate spread ontop...sometimes in AM w/ goat-cheese ontop). Taste-wise it's excellent. The mix of flax & almond seems to make all the difference.

I'll take your word for it and try it tonight Thank you for sharing the recipe.

nina_70 Guest

Let me know how it turns out!!

nina_70 Guest

I should also mention that the amount of water/cream you add to the mixture does make a difference. The original recipe calls for enough water "to texture desired". If the mixture is too soft it can't cook through (or hold well enough). I've never figured out how much cream I actually add, but I make sure the mixture is "just" able to flow...no more. So, go for minimal water/cream needed to get things fluid enough to pour the batter.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Um, flax is a seed, hence a grain.

And like most, if not all, seeds, its primary oil is polyunsaturated, not a good thing. http://tinyurl.com/pzgoq2

The Omega 3 benefit is the hard-for-us-to-use ALA kind.

And then there's the carbs, if one is trying to minimize.

Jus' saying, ya know?

nina_70 Guest

Not that I really want to argue this, but flax is not a grain...technically....a grain being a fruit (usually with a single seed inside) produced from crops of grasses (the genus Poaceae). Flax is not in the grass family (it's in the Linum family, which is a family of flowering plants). Also, in flax the seeds are produced in bolls (each with about 6 seed in them).

Now...all this aside, this is just a nice, bread alternative for those looking for a grain-free bread.

For those looking for nutritional break-out 1/8 of the whole bread recipe contains about 103 cal, 8g fat, 5g protein, 1g NET carbs (technically 4g carb and 3g fiber). Pretty low-carb to me

PrimalCon New York

OTB, are you saying all seeds are grains?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast