Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kate's Warrior Dash Training Journal- Copper Mountain Aug. 20/21 page

isaboblue is offline Senior Member

Red face Kate's Warrior Dash Training Journal- Copper Mountain Aug. 20/21

Shop Now
    I've been Primal since April 2010. I had a few difficulties with food that I have overcome. Then I had a few difficulties with exercise that I think I have overcome. I'd like to tentatively say, OH YES I FRIKKIN DID IT.

Anywho, I had really wanted to do the Warrior Dash last year, but I couldn't manage to get myself in any sort of decent shape, so this is my year! I've abandoned my old journal for this shiny new one in hopes that I can find some more Colorado PBers that want to do the Warrior Dash with me this year.

http://www.warriordash.com/register2011_rockies.php

I'm not in good shape at all really, and still have a lot of fat to exchange for muscle, but I've got a lot of time to train for this.

I can't wait to get covered in mud!!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Today I'm doing about 20 minutes of yoga as this is a relax day. Once I get my training 'strategy' worked out, I'll post it.

geoffspakes is offline Member
    Hey Kate, I'm a new PB'er as well, some friends and I just decided today in fact to sign up for the Warrior Dash in Copper...looks like a blast!

Sempronia is offline Member
    We and several of my friends are signed up for the one in maryland.

Geoff----Heck yes, crawling through mud and leaping over fire? It's so me.
    Sempronia---Take lots of pictures and post 'em up!

I'm hoping I can convince my hubby to do this with me. He says it looks really fun, but he has a bit of social anxiety and feels silly doing that kind of thing, but I have a feeling the fun will win over the little bit of anxiety he has!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I love it!

Isn't event training wonderful? I really do believe it is life-changing for women.

I don't really follow blogs here (I spend too much time at this site as it is!), but I will keep my eyes peeled for your updates. If you are both excited as hell and scared and feeling a bit crazy to even try it, you are in the perfect place.

I've got a big event I'm training for at the end of August as well. I really like your ticker. I need to get one.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    ZOMG. I just watched the video at the site.

What a riot! I had never even heard of this before. We've got to get a bunch of Primals doing this. Right up our alley.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Yesterday was a rest day, so I goofed off and watched Family Guy and played with squishy. Today I did 2 rounds of the 5 Essential Movements. Some of the moves I did better the second round than the first, I had more energy for them, which is a first.

My 'training' is pretty relaxed so far. I'm still just easing back into the whole working out thing and I don't want to overdo it. I am doing the 5EM's every other day, some yoga when I feel like it and I'm working out how/when I want to incorporate sprints. This 'training' is also about body recomposition. Since the birth of my son, I've got more blubber than I really need. My weight is fine, I just want more muscles! Since my eating is so clean, I figure that it will be pretty smooth sailing. I also IF every day 14-16 hours. I may need to eat a bit more though. I'll be tweaking that here and there as I go along of course.

My first goal is to improve my sprinting (I'll need that in the dash!!).
    It's been beautiful here in Colorado Springs, about 45F and sunny. I know from last summer's sprinting expeditions that my 2yr old gets very upset to see me running away from him as fast as possible, so if we do go to the park, hubby has to come with on either Friday or Sunday to keep little man company. I was thinking of doing Plyo from P90X when that's not possible. All that jumping around is kinda fun. Tomorrow it's supposed to snow, so depending how cold/snowy it is, we may just go to the park and do our sprints anyway.

My 2nd goal is to improve my grip since the dash will include some climbing. Hmm, I think there's a place here in the springs that may have a net I can practice climbing on. My pullups will help a lot with my grip and also when I incorporate some free weights.

So here's where I am this week:

Five Essential Movements

Pushups Level 4--I can do about 3 normal pushups, then I have to switch to my knees and can do about 7 for a total of 10. *sigh* It wasn't that many years ago that I could do 30 pushups on my knees! I'll get there again
    Pullups Level 1 (2 leg chair assisted)-- I can manage about 5
    Squats Level 4 (Full Squat)--I can do about 20-25 of these, but I do a full-on Grok Squat instead of just stopping past parallel.
    Overhead Press Level 2 (Jack Knife Press)-- I can do 10 of these without falling on my head
    Planks Level 4 (Forearm/Feet)-- I can do about 45 seconds of this without dying. My side planks are easier to do and I can go 60 seconds on those.

Tigerlily---oh yeah, it's so awesome! I think that this goal of doing the dash is really going to keep me going when I'd rather sit on my ass and watch movies!

I have this fantasy of flying to Japan and being on Ninja Warrior! Since that's not gonna happen anytime soon, the Warrior Dash is the closest thing to it!

Makoto Nagano makes it look so easy, but he's the best of the best and no one has gotten as far as him!

Yesterday I was planning on sprints at the park---no way. It was freezing and snowing like crazy. I didn't do any Plyo either, after laundry, cooking vat of beef stew for the week, doing dishes, diaper changes, and bath time I did not have any time or energy for it. Ah well, I'll fit it in. I'm waiting for my little man's nap time to do my work out. Today is friggin cold! 8F is our high, but it's sunny out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast