Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soup: carb-heavy? Really? Even if it's homemade? page

jnmarz30 is offline Member

Soup: carb-heavy? Really? Even if it's homemade?

Shop Now
    This is why I hate counting anything related to eating (and why I couldn't keep up with WW for more than a week or so, ever). I make everything from scratch. Yesterday I made a pot of chicken soup, boiling down two chicken carcasses I'd saved. I didn't get as much meat off the carcasses as I'd hoped - less than 2 c. total. I added half an onion, about a cup of chopped celery, and 3/4 c. or so of chopped carrots. Seasoned with some salt and pepper. Ate it for dinner last night and lunch today.

I didn't track my meals yesterday on FitDay (because, as I mentioned, I hate doing it), but am trying to keep track intermittently so that I have a loose idea of my fat/protein/carb percentages. I entered my lunch on FitDay - 2 c. of soup - and it told me 19 g. of carbs! I couldn't believe it.

Where are the carbs coming from, and is it possible that it would be lower for a soup that's not processed/canned? I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something here.

Thanks!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    From the carrots and onions. But why are doing so low carb? I think that's pretty good.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You cannot enter 'soup' into fitday and expect it to be anything like what you've made from scratch. You can enter each ingredient separately--1 cup chopped carrots, 1/2 an onion, 3 cups homeade broth, etc... (then divide that by how many servings there were) and then get a better approximation of what it is. (You can also create your own items on fitday so you don't have to do this more than once...)

HTH. Soup in a can may contain noodles, flour for thickening, potatoes, etc etc etc--lots of carb sources there...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    agreed. less than 20g for one meal...what's the issue? I'd be shooting for under 100 and be happy with that. If you go with that basis, you're only 20% of your max for the day. Not sure what else you consumed, but still plenty of margin to take in additional carbs without tweaking out. I slipped today and a piece of bread fell in my mouth. It just means I'll be conscious the rest of the day and not taking in any additional carbs. I know I messed up...damn pressures of business lunches.

Travis Culp is offline Junior Member
    We just made soup with a ton of chicken, veggies, mushrooms etc. without the grain and it was far more satiating that soup usually is for me.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    What they said^^ Those three vegetables altogether would be around 18 carbs...so if you divided it into two equal servings between dinner and lunch, it would have been around 9 carbs/serving.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and I agree w/ pps that its possible the soup contained those carbs--not sure if you entered the ingredients individually or just entered 'soup' into fitday.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

jnmarz30 is offline Member
    I'll enter everything separately and see - thanks for the tip!

It's not a big deal that it was 19 grams of carb. I was just surprised and unsure where the carbs were coming from. Since I'm new to PB, I'm still working on getting a feel for what foods have what nutritional profiles.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

mizski is offline Senior Member
    The carbs in your soup are veggie carbs which are great carbs to have. In the cold months I load up my homemade stocks with lots of veggies as I find it much more satisfying than cold salads. Don't be afraid of veggie carbs. If you're watching your weight or trying to lose be mindful of the starchy ones though.

Also, when using food trackers (I also use FitDay) it's best to enter everything as separate ingredients. For example, FitDay's counts on scrambled eggs are very different than homemade as they include things like margarine. With soups, they just presume that there are noodles or other starches and in it and higher amounts of sodium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast