Thread: When Does the Weight Loss Level Off? page

Question When Does the Weight Loss Level Off?

Primal Fuel
    I am curious... At what point does your weight level off on the Primal Diet? Would it be in the middle of society's "recommended BMI" for you? Or well below it? I wouldn't get down to 100 pounds, would I?

And when does it level off? After a year of living Primally?

I'm 5'9" Female. My lowest weight ever was 120. Started Primal Blueprint last month. What can I expect this year?

Intention: To throw scale away one day when it tells me nothing new!
    Last edited by Psychicsinlove; 01-28-2011 at 04:27 PM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that's pretty tough to answer. you won't continually lose weight forever, obviously, but how much you lose and for how long depends largely on how much you are eating. even eating too many primal calories will slow weight loss and even cause weight gain.
    however, when your body reaches homeostasis, which is your ideal condition, you'll be in a good spot and may try adjusting things to stay on maintenance. bear in mind, weight is not all that matters. at 5'9", weighing 100 lbs would be way too thin, so you want to keep exercising to maintain or add muscle. also, focus more on measurements and body fat percentage more than weight. how much you weigh doesn't really tell you as much as other measurements do.

...Homeostasis... That was the word I was searching for!!! Thank you!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Seriously it's going to be so individual nobody can tell you this. Helpful huh?

It will depend on things like your body frame size-- do you have a narrow frame or wide frame? Even when I had almost no fat on me my waist was 28" and my hips and bust were 35. They will NEVER be smaller than that, so I can't compare someone my height and weight who has a 32" hips and bust and a 24" waist. I just have more actual BODY than they do! LOL...

It will also depend on how much lean muscle mass you gain. If you end up moving some weights around and getting a good amount of lean muscle mass you will weigh more than someone else who doesn't have much muscle mass. You may, though, actually be around the same "size" depending on a bunch of other stuff.

I would just focus on eating right... and doing what exercise/body weight stuff you enjoy and is a good fit in your life. At some point you'll feel good, like how you fit into your clothes, and can do cool stuff like lift stuff in the garage and go for big hikes. Then you'll know you're there. But truthfully, then what? you're not going to change anything at that point, just keep living your new, energetic, fun life.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    primalrob is right.

The funny thing about homeostasis is that it's not the Hollywood look some of us are after. I'm one of those that is attempting to go beyond what homeostasis calls for, in the body fat realm at least. I could be wrong though, but I think nature would want us to have some fat for when times are hard, and food is scarce, but that's unlikely to happen soon.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    At some point it will end up as an I:O equation. One could continue to lose weight to being grossly underweight, if intake is less than output, if intake continues to be greater than your output, than one would gain some weight. Homeostasis should be reached at some point given a reasonable diet: exercise ratio.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that's pretty tough to answer. you won't continually lose weight forever, obviously, but how much you lose and for how long depends largely on how much you are eating. even eating too many primal calories will slow weight loss and even cause weight gain.
    however, when your body reaches homeostasis, which is your ideal condition, you'll be in a good spot and may try adjusting things to stay on maintenance. bear in mind, weight is not all that matters. at 5'9", weighing 100 lbs would be way too thin, so you want to keep exercising to maintain or add muscle. also, focus more on measurements and body fat percentage more than weight. how much you weigh doesn't really tell you as much as other measurements do.
    So what do you think are the key measurements to track?

melodious is offline Senior Member
    If you reached 120 as an adult 5'9" woman healthily...you obviously have a fine body structure. I'm 5'10".
    Given what the others told you as being absolutely right, and all I can do is guess, I would say you could get down to maybe 130 with just dietary changes, but if you start working out and lifting, you'll likely end up back at 140.

My 2 cents.

I was 120 at eighteen. When I "stopped growing" after college I was 130. So, I'm guessing the same numbers. 150 if I cheat.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I stopped losing right around the time I was beginning to worry that I might go lower than ideal. Not sure if I instinctively ate more once I identified that worry, or whether my body just chose the same end point as my brain

It was pretty steady weight loss to that point. Now I just oscillate +/- 2lbs.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food