Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live like Grok in modern times? page

abroder is offline Junior Member

Live like Grok in modern times?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If one had the urge to live off the land in the way our pre-agricultural ancestors did, how would they go about doing it? Where can one learn how to hunt, build fires, survive in the wilderness, and live a simple life in nature? I sometimes get fed up with my modern cubicle-apartment existence and have daydreams about doing this, but I wouldn't know where to start.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Google "survivalism" and "outdoor skills" - there are a ton of blogs out there. There are also "wilderness survival courses" you can sign up for across the country - most tend to be in the midwest (assuming you're in the USA). But be aware that surviving outdoors is not the same as thriving outdoors. In the middle of winter a cubicle and apartment would look really good.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    there are plenty of books and guides for you out there, but nothing is going to beat immersion. get outside, find/build a shelter, and go kill some stuff. grok didn't have anything to help him out, he just went out and did it.

I'd have to disagree with that last part primalrob. Grok was brought up in a community where he learned how to live an outdoor existence from his parents and tribal elders. He didn't go from being a cubicle jockey straight out into the wilderness with no guidance at all.

DanC is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of available resources to help learn how to be self sufficient. But if you want to live a migrant life living off of the land, I think you will find laws about stuff like property rights, hunting and fishing regulations etc... will get in the way!
    @primalrob "grok didn't have anything to help him out, he just went out and did it. " I think humans have always been tribe/pact animals and Grok would have had "training" in the necessary skills growing up.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    true, he didn't come straight out of an office, but somewhere in the grok timeline people had to learn to do these things. my point is that there is no replacement for experience and trial and error. i can read about building a shelter, or i can go build one...then after it rains i can build a better one.

a little research, however, would be beneficial in learning what plants should and should not be eaten. i suppose watching animals is the way to learn that the old way, but better safe than dead.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    You might also want to google "primitive technology" that will teach you about how to make stone tools, and cording, hunting bows, and things like that- I've always considered it one step beyond "outdoor/survival/bushcraft skills"

And for food and medicine, look up wildcrafting.

"I think humans have always been tribe/pact animals and Grok would have had "training" in the necessary skills growing up."

Yes, I agree, and what I'm really interested in finding is a group or community where the people live this way and are open to accepting outsiders.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    watch tom hank's castaway. that'll give u a little inspiration

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    true, he didn't come straight out of an office, but somewhere in the grok timeline people had to learn to do these things. my point is that there is no replacement for experience and trial and error. i can read about building a shelter, or i can go build one...then after it rains i can build a better one.

a little research, however, would be beneficial in learning what plants should and should not be eaten. i suppose watching animals is the way to learn that the old way, but better safe than dead.
    The evolutionary model would reinforce the importance of learning from elders and looking back at what has worked. The stuff that didn't work typically didn't have the elder practitioner around to pass along the knowledge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast