Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next week I will be going off primal page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Next week I will be going off primal

Shop Now
    As I'll be having a small operation in hospital; not sure how many days I'll be in but wish me luck!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Good luck and get better soon!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Hope all goes well for you! Back to primal as soon as you are home for best healing. All the best.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, and be well!

Just as a heads up, the last time I was in the hospital, I wasn't on the PB but the food was still inedible (fat free yogurt with artificial sweeteners, weird frankenmeats dripping with grease, congealed cream of wheat, etc) but no one had a problem with my husband bringing in outside food for me. You may want to see if they'll let you bring a care package
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Good luck, and be well!

Just as a heads up, the last time I was in the hospital, I wasn't on the PB but the food was still inedible (fat free yogurt with artificial sweeteners, weird frankenmeats dripping with grease, congealed cream of wheat, etc) but no one had a problem with my husband bringing in outside food for me. You may want to see if they'll let you bring a care package
    Yes I thought that might be the way to go otherwise I'll end up in a worse position health wise coming out than I did going in!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezerinno View Post
    Yes I thought that might be the way to go otherwise I'll end up in a worse position health wise coming out than I did going in!
    Haha...when I was in there I kept thinking "how the hell is anyone supposed to get better eating like this?"

I just noticed you're in the UK - maybe the food in your hospitals is less scary? I was in the hospital in Philadelphia, which is ranked #15 on Men's Health's list of the US's fattest cities!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Good luck, and be well!

Last time I was hospitalized (6 days after being hit by a car as a pedestrian) I was on a low-carb diet (Atkins) and I found it wasn't too horrible to try to eat well - and the hospital I was at wasn't known for the greatest food. They did give a choice of two items for all meals, so I'd pick the most favorable one and eat what I could (I was in so much pain that my appetite was horribly depressed and I had to force myself to get through even half a meal, even after I got back home and had better options available - only time in my life I've been uninterested in food!). Often I had to scrape gravy off of meat for lunch /dinner but there was meat (not the world's greatest meat, but at least it wasn't pasta). I could often get a pretty solid salad as well. Breakfast generally had an egg/meat option. I also made friends with one of the nurses who was also a fan of low-carb eating and she'd even share some of her own meals with me (brought from home).

I think as long as you're up front with your medical team, as others have said, there shouldn't be a problem having someone bring you outside food as well.

My sister was in hospital fairly recently and I think she said they had a couple of choices at meal times so hopefully I'll manage!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Good luck on everything.

It is possible to be Primal while in the hospital. I was able to manage it with a surprising amount of success. They will make you some scrambled eggs for breakfast. Ask for some fruit with it. Tuna salad for lunch. Hard-boiled eggs for snacks. Chicken breast and broccoli or chef's salad for dinner. Etc., etc.... They give you choices, plus you can also request special items, such as the scrambled eggs. Plus, people can bring you food in.

I don't know how they do it there, but here they had someone come from nutrition services and ask me about any special diet. They put "GLUTEN FREE" in highlight on everything of mine after they spoke to me about it.

P.S. I agree about the making friends with the nurses. Big help.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 01-06-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Well on the plus side it looks like I'm only going to be in for the day so should be able to stay primal. The negative is they think I have cancer so fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast