Thread: egg protein powder "safe"? page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

egg protein powder "safe"?

Shop Now
    I feel that I use to boost my protein intake a little, at least from time to time. after a tough workout. I do not want to overdo whey because I am a little conderned with the IGF 1 hormones that whey naturally contains so I thought about egg protein powder. I haven`t found much information about this. Is it safe? Is it worth buying an organic brand?

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    I use 100% egg protein ( strawberry flavored sweetened with stevia) to add to my frozen berries for PW nutrition. haven't had any issues.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    But why? It's processed. No nutritional value. Plus it's expensive. Eat some eggs. Eat some meat. Eat real food. Your body with thank you.

Gordo

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It is protein and does have some nutritional value. I don't use protein powder every day, but once in a while I do want to up my protein intake based on what else I'm eating. I prefer whey protein powder because it's cheaper and has a better ratio protein to fat.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I was wrong about the percentage of protein in egg protein powder. But I stand on the cost part.
    I'm just another stark raving mad prime around here so, here's what Mark has to say on the subject.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-egg-white-casein-pea-hemp-rice-protein-powder-supplement/

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I would opt for the egg (or hemp, rice, or pea) protein powder as well. Whey may be cheap, but unless it comes from raw, organic milk (in which case, it'll be expensive), it probably isn't worth it. Whey is a very fragile protein; most commercial whey powders are highly processed and probably denatured.

http://download.journals.elsevierhea...0245952489.pdf

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    I take egg protein powder. Not daily, but generally after I lift in the mornings (mornings that I sprint I generally don't consumer anything for a few hours). After some experimentation, I've found that works best for me. I take a scoop of the egg protein with a combo of water and some almond milk, glutamine and BCAAs. It's proved me well so far.

I quit whey to see if cutting that out would reduce the bloat I had...it did. But I'd experiment around a little and see how it works out. Best of luck.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    It is protein and does have some nutritional value.
    By nutritional value, I mean value outside the protein itself. That stuff is the protein equivalent of refined sugar.

Gordo

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    By nutritional value, I mean value outside the protein itself. That stuff is the protein equivalent of refined sugar.

Gordo
    Isn't the whole point of taking it, the nutritional value from the protein...not anything else?

I understand and agree with all of the primal aspects, but I think sometimes people get caught up in the details. Yes whole food would be better. Sometimes it isn't easy though when running in from the gym, getting ready for work, trying to spend time with the kids, wife, etc. then still leave by a decent time to get to work without hitting too much traffic.

Protein powders shouldn't be relied upon, but they're not evil. If you're going to supplement with them, I'd just recommend choosing a quality one and one that sits with you best. As you can see from the comments above, people react differently to the different types. Daemonized clearly doesn't experience the lower ab bloat that I get when I take whey, it's why I tried egg. Egg has served me well.