Thread: In Pea Protein a good source of protein? page

MelissaS Guest

Shop Now

Just ordered a custom blend mostly of pea, some hemp and egg white. I've read that pea protein is a good source of protein. I'm dairy and soy-free.

Tarlach is offline Member

Meat is a good source of protein.

Powder is a poor substitute for the real thing.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

klcarbaugh Guest

No, no, no. Please, as Tarlach said, go eat some meat, or some nuts. Why do you want the powder? Convenience?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Melissa, that is so UNprimal. I don't understand why people who are doing Notprimal lurk and post here. Hemp seed, which is what I presume you are referring to, is a SEED, not primal

You can get all the nutritional data you want and www.nutritiondata.com . They even have a nice chart for a given food of the amino acids, so your question can be answered at a glance.

Have some eggs with a big side of bacon or sausage. That's protein.

MelissaS Guest

Yes, convenience. I'm a trainer so often work several hours straight with minimal break time and need to get something in me. If I eat during those times, I eat too fast due to time constraints and it's hard on my stomach/digestive system.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Melissa,

I agree with all my fellow Primals. If you have a sufficient protein/fat breakfast, you can actually sail through a whole day without eating again until dinner. Your energy will be fine all day. Really.

The need to, "get something in you" every few hours is just a "Conventional Wisdom" fallacy.

Bring a couple of hard-boiled eggs for a snack, if you think you might need it.

I just went through an intense twelve-hour day of training at the range yesterday; running and shooting, on an Intermittant Fast, My performance was better than ever before.

Give it a try- you'll be amazed. "Pea Protein" sucks- it's worse than not eating at all.

Mick Guest

PrimalCon New York
    [quote]

Yes, convenience. I&#39;m a trainer so often work several hours straight with minimal break time and need to get something in me. If I eat during those times, I eat too fast due to time constraints and it&#39;s hard on my stomach/digestive system.</blockquote>

OK. So what it looks like you&#39;ve got there is a product aimed at the low-fat market. This, for example, would be why it has egg white but not egg yolk (which is higher in fat) - possibly, also, the whites powder down better, too.

The product is probably a reasonably high-protein product, but it&#39;s a low-fat product.

But the problem with modern diets - and current diet-recommendations - seems to be precisely that they are low-fat. There are plenty of places on earth where people don&#39;t get enough protein in the diet. The West probably isn&#39;t one of them. The lack of fat is a bigger issue. So far as being "primal" goes, there have been people who have recommended low-fat diets as being what Stone Age people ate. That seems to have been wishful-thinking from the low-fat lobby. All the Stone Age people we actually know about ate quite a lot of fat, and in particular a lot of the currently unfashionable saturated fat. Mark himself does not recommend low-fat.

There are other possible issues there, including that the egg is probably spray-dried at high temperature, which can damage nutrients, and possibly cause harmful compounds to form.

It&#39;s just best to eat the best quality food you can get in a state as close to its original form as you can get. If you want something to consume fast - perhaps something to drink - that might be a difficult question.

There would be cheese, which doesn&#39;t take a heck of a lot of chewing - but you you don&#39;t eat dairy products.

Eggs - as opposed to an egg-white-containing powder?

Egg yolks you can eat raw. Raw egg-whites are best avoided (because they contain anti-nutrients (avidin and trypsin) which need to be neutralized by cooking. Free-range raw eggs yolks eaten as they are, or added to something, could be an option. Or would cold hard-boiled eggs fit the bill?

I suppose there&#39;s coconut milk, too - perhaps enriched with coconut oil.

I guess meat broth you&#39;ve made yourself, if you&#39;ve time elsewhere in the day to make it, could be an option.

I don&#39;t know. Perhaps there are others here who use meal-replacement drinks that they feel have a better profile than pea + egg-white + hemp.