Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I learn to sleep on my back? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

How can I learn to sleep on my back?

Primal Fuel
    Iíve been a stomach sleeper for many years despite it causing me to wake up every night with neck pains. I tried the long lay method Mark mentioned in his sleep post last night and it felt great to not have my back hurt when I tried to sleep on my back, but I still couldnít resist the urge to roll onto my stomach to fall asleep.

How do I stop that?

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    The issue is reversed for me. Whenever I wake up after sleeping on my back, I wake up with sharp pain in my ribs. the proximal cause is my wife elbowing me to stop the snoring.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    tell wife to "pet" you instead. if i rub my DH's head or his back or arm, he'll stop snoring very quickly.

to the topic, i can't say. i slept on my back (and in pain) for the first year after DS was born because he likes to sleep ON me. so, i made a nest and slept in that. there are some interesting articles out there about different ways that humans sleep (without beds) that explain a fair bit, and how a specific side-sleeping pattern (which i do naturally -- it's my preferred sleep position) is the most common among humans and other great primates like us.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It could be a pillow issue, do you sleep on any? I sleep on a single, low pillow and sleep on my stomach (or eventually end up there) but have no neck pain.
    I don't know if you can "learn" to sleep any one way, but when I sleep with my girl (who is a freaking octopus) I've "learned" to sleep pretty still and on my back so I would suggest putting a pillow at your sides to prevent you from rolling, or sleeping against the wall and having your wife sleep closer to you which is what my girlfriend does, not on purpose, but because she's all over the place while she sleeps.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Causality might run in the opposite direction. As I've begun to sleep better, I usually wake up stretched out sleeping on my back. Sometimes I go to sleep that way, but usually I fall asleep curled up on one side or the other. But I almost always wake up after sleeping well, stretched out on my back.

Good luck!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Freshy is offline Junior Member
    I have serious neck & upper back problems from to many years of getting checked into the boards playing hockey. I would always sleep on my stomach and wake up with a crick in my neck or a stabbing pain in my upper back. I then snapped my clavicle playing soccer and was forced to sleep on my back. I ended up wearing shorts to bed and putting a tennis ball in each pocket and pillows on each side of me. Helped quite a bit training my body to not roll over. My body still REALLY wants to go to my stomach when I sleep though. Probably some mammalian instinct to protect my junk

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I also urgently need to learn to sleep on my back. It's a vulnerability thing no doubt. I feel safer curled up on my side. But that mashes my ears and eyes. I only have 2/3 of my eyebrows. My eyes look messed up. And I have back trouble that would benefit from back sleeping. Years ago, I was having back trouble. When I started sleeping on my back, it was greatly reduced. Then I got in a relationship where we were sleeping in a bed too small for us to sleep on our backs. That relationship is long gone.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to sleep on my stomach, but it kills my lower back. I use only one thin pillow, but end up with an arch in my lower back. Same thing happens when I sleep on my back. There's a space between my lower back and the mattress, and after 10 minutes or so, I can't take it anymore.

Milty is offline Senior Member
    I have trouble understanding how anyone could sleep on their stomach, it gives me stomach and neck pains. I can only sleep on my back or sides. For the past 5 or so years though I have woken up almost daily with mid to lower back pain which would only ease if I sat upright for a few minutes, but I think since I have started the exercises this has stopped. Further personal research will confirm

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    For me it started years ago when I got an AWFUL sunburn on my back, and I had to sleep on my stomach for a whole month. Since then I can't revert back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast