Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your favorite ground beef recipes! page

alireb is offline Member

Share your favorite ground beef recipes!

I normally do picadillo or hamburgers or meatballs but I'm looking for something a bit different. I can also eat it just plain browned but not sure if the rest of the family would be too happy with that

Oh I can't stand meatloaf - it goes back to my childhood.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Ground beef fried up with mushrooms, garlic and onions, enough crushed tomatoes to make it stick together, mmmmmm. I might eat it over spag. squash, but more often than not, I just sit down with a bowl of it for dinner. Sometimes I'll toss in baby spinach near the end, before I add crushed tomatoes.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Primal Shepard's Pie - replace mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower. Add in whatever veggies you want, make a gravy, cheese if you want...good to go!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    My new FAVORITE way to eat ground beef is making beef strogonoff over cauliflower rice (though I often eat it straight, too). Various primal renditions are discussed here, which is incidentally a thread on the same topic as this! You should get lots of ideas there too.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I make a basic ground-beef-with-onions, and then add spices and other veggies to make different dishes with completely different ethnic/national flavor profiles.

For example: Ground beef and onions, plus mushrooms, black pepper, nutmeg, a bit of Worcestershire sauce, white wine and (right at the end) sour cream = stroganoff, which is originally Russian.

GB&O, plus olives, a can of diced tomatoes, chili powder/cumin/garlic/red pepper flake/black pepper/oregano, and maybe some shredded cheddar cheese on top = Mexican-flavor chili.

GB&O, plus sun-dried tomatoes, cumin/curry powder/garam masala/black pepper/fresh ginger, plus some plain full-fat yogurt right at the end, = East Indian-style curry.

GB&O, plus toasted pine nuts, black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped celery, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, basil/black pepper, and half a small can of tomato paste = yummy stuff that my family calls "S'more" - as in, "can I have s'more?" - a totally American profile.

GB&O, plus eight ounces of bacon, three to four tablespoons of bacon grease, some chopped celery, a can of diced tomatoes, a few cups of burgundy wine, dried thyme/black pepper/salt, and about two hours of simmering and reducing = the French flavors of beef bourginon.

And of course, GB&O, plus a tube of pork sausage also fried with the GB, a cup or two of red wine, mushrooms, a can of diced tomatoes, a half can of tomato paste, and garlic/oregano/basil/black pepper/fennel seed = the Italian flavors of spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce. Just simmer it down some and serve it in bowls, instead.

Look up ethnic flavor profiles and then adapt them to a basic GB&O, and you really can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Griff; 01-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I made this recently, and it was a hit. Probably not a great idea if you're avoiding cheese & dairy, but we do OK with it in our house:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/enchilada_bake.html

I did have to select my enchildada sauce wisely to get one without added sugar. In an ideal world (and not on a weekenight), I would prefer to make my own sauce.

Kariberry is offline Member
    Found a great recipe in a 1981 cookbook I picked up at Goodwill. Tweaked it just a little, but not much!

Serves 4

1 1/2 lbs. Ground beef or ground bison
    1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 egg
    1 tbs. minced garlic (I use prepared garlic from a jar)
    1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    1 or 2 tbs. chopped fresh herbs - I usually use rosemary, basil and thyme
    olive oil for sauteing - about 1 or 2 tbs.
    2 tbs. butter
    1/4 cup half & half or whole milk
    1/2 tsp. or more fresh ground black pepper
    dash cayenne pepper
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

Saute chopped onion in olive oil until onions begin to brown. Add garlic and saute for a minute more. Remove from pan, spread out to cool. Mix ground meat, onion/garlic mixture, Worcestershire sauce, fresh herbs, and egg together with your (clean) hands until thoroughly combined. Shape into four patties. Place into the refrigerator while you saute mushrooms. In the same pan you cooked the onions in, add 1 tbs. of the butter and saute mushrooms until they reach your desired done-ness. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add the other tbs. butter to the pan and cook the meat patties. When they're done, reserve the drippings. Remove the meat patties from the pan to drain on a paper towel, and keep warm.

To the drippings, add the half and half or milk, ground pepper and cayenne, stirring with a whisk until mixture starts to turn creamy. Taste, and add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce or salt to the sauce if desired. To serve, place a patty on a plate, top with the sauteed mushrooms, then spoon sauce over them. Simple to make, and elegant enough for company.
    Last edited by Kariberry; 06-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.

a-ray is offline Member
    Shepherds Pie is always good route to go.

Probably my favorite and go to ground beef recipe it the One-Skillet Meal. Start with your ground beef in a skillet get it browning, then start adding in the veggies. Onions, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, whatever else you would like. Don't forget to add spices.

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    My favorite is using it in taco salad. Put taco fixings in bowls & let everyone add what they want.

I also like spaghetti sauce, ground beef with spaghetti squash.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i'll be making this tonight: BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv
    It's garlic meatballs with tomato sauce

it looks amazing, i'll report back how good it was
    Last edited by JennaRose; 06-26-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast