Thread: I'm 16...help with going Primal? page

PillowFire is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey guys. I recently found this website through google, and it's been very fascinating. I'm still sorting through all of the information though, so there are lot's of things I don't understand. I am in need of some advice and sorting out.

I'm 16 years old, from Ukraine. I moved to the U.S. when I was around 5 years old. I used to eat home cooked meals when I was young, but when I moved to the U.S., I eventually started to eat tons and tons of junk food, snacks, etc. It got to a point where I was literally eating McDonalds several times a week as there was nothing else I wanted and my parents couldn't get me to eat anything else.

When I turned 15, this stuff gradually stopped. I have always been a reader, and constantly find stuff on the internet. I was tired of the junk food and really didn't want to be a lazy couch potato forever, so, gradually, I began eating home cooked meals much more (wasn't intentional at first). I started to work out, do exercises, eat more and more home cooked meals. Now, more than a year later, I do not even remember the last time I have eaten at Mcdonalds or any fast food place, really. I haven't drank soda and Coke in literally close to a year now. It's been nothing but fresh-squeezed juices; mostly orange juice, as well as milk. I drink a good deal of Kefir (although it is more of a fruit flavored kind, but it does have the cultures and everything), as well as eat yogurts. My parents are aware of nutrition, and the things they cook, they tell me are balanced, healthy, and non-processed. They try to buy as much natural "real food" and non-packaged crap to make meals as possible, although some of this stuff is expensive, which prevents going all the way.

So, the things I eat that my parents make are recipes and such brought back from Ukraine and also passed down over several generations. We eat lot's of chicken and Pork and other meats prepared in different ways with herbs and the like. My parents literally buy fresh meat prepare it by pounding it with a hammer, season it with herbs and pepper and all that (I am not sure how that works though; I'm not a great cook lol) then cook it over a flame on a grill, or in the oven. Usually as part of a recipe.

They make fresh salads with lot's of different vegetables. For example, today I ate two sausages and Sauteed vegetables consisting of Tomatoes, onions, eggplant, carrots, and some other veggies which I don't recall at the moment. Natural sunflower and olive oils are used for salads. The vegetables are bought fresh from Wegmans (as are most things we eat now since it's a great store with a lot of different stuff). Another thing I like to eat with many of my meals is pickled cabbage. The most recent batch was made using a cabbage bought at a farmers market on the way home from the Beach (as fresh as it get's). The cabbage is mixed with a few other vegetables such as carrots and onions. It's all stored in a giant jar with a bandage shoved into the top, and when it's ready after typically a few days, portions can be taken and loaded with a bit of sunflower oil and eaten directly as a snack, as part of a meal, etc. It's cold, crunchy, and tastes great.

But we also eat potatoes. Potatoes are a staple. We don't eat them that often. It variates weekly. Sometimes it might be several potato-containing meals and sometimes it might be several weeks before they are made. Lot's of variety. My parents cook them in the oven, bake them (not fried) and the skin is left on. Some sunflower oil is usually also added and maybe sour cream. So a meal might consist of oven-made potatoes, cut into halves or smaller pieces along with a big piece of fresh pork cut prepared directly on a fire just prior to the meal (most of the time my Dad will make the meat right when it's bought from the store and later that day we eat it for dinner and then left overs for later meals), along with a freshly-made salad. The thing that kind of puts me off of the salads is the herbs like Parsley and Dill, but even these I eat readily now.

Aside from potatoes, there's also buckwheat, which is prepared in a manner you won't find in America. I don't know how it's called, but it can be eaten as a side just like potatoes with a salad/vegetables and meat.

Besides that, I do still eat snacks sometimes. I have all but abandoned chips and other junk food (although I sometimes have a big bag or two of chips in the house that I might sometimes eat a bit from before I go do some physical activity). To compensate for my periodic urges for a snack, I started to get Mozzarella sticks. These have only a few ingredients, taste pretty good, and are only 70 calories meaning they are pretty small but just give me something to chew on. But I eat sometimes several of them at a time. Still, it's better than oreo's in a plastic bag.

Sometimes I get beef jerky from Trader Joe's.

I take a vitamin supplement in the morning-silver for teens or something like that.

And finally, In the morning I usually eat something egg based, like scrambled eggs or an omelet with sausages (and rarely bacon, although I ought to have more of it. I will do so next time I have an omelet). Mostly I eat oatmeal and throw some berries in, or waffles or french toast of the frozen kind. Lately, I have sort of dropped that stuff a bit and now I'm trying to find more variety in the healthy alternatives besides eggs and meat. Salads are too much of a hassle to prepare for the morning (for my Mom, anyways). I haven't eaten cereal in god knows how long though, so that's a plus. Bad thing, though, is that as School started recently, I decided not to eat school food, and started taking my own stuff. I bring little lunch packs akin to lunchables that have some crackers, ham slices, and cheese as well as a candy (I just give the candy to my friends). Not satisfied with this junk, I also bring along an apple and yogurt.

It's mostly temporary. I have a small supply of these lunches and when they run out I should have some better stuff ready. I'm still trying to find out what to replace it with, though.

So there it is. That's what my foods consist of. Back when I ate junk food in heaps when I was younger, I did not really fatten up. Mostly due to the straterra I took for ADHD which I dropped this past summer and am going well without. The drugs suppress hunger, and I could notice myself getting chubbier without them. But now I am in great shape due to my work outs and mostly healthy eating. I started working with weights recently, and after not going outside for ages and being a basement dweller for most of my life (And now really realizing that I need that vitamin D now if I want to grow past my 5'6 1/2 inch height that I have been stuck on for awhile) decided to start riding my bike after school. I brushed it off, inflated the tires, replaced the seat, and rode for an hour yesterday. I was trying to go for a light ride like I read on one of the blog posts, but it didn't work out that way. I was sweating and damned if I didn't get a good cardio and leg work out from it all. All of those hills just left me no choice but to go up them. I traveled all around my neighborhood, breathed air, smiled, said hi to everyone I passed, and felt so alive when I went down a hill after several minutes of hard work peddling up one. I went for my second ride today. My legs are sore afterwards, and so is my butt and crotch area from the seat.

My exercices consist of every (or most) mornings doing 20 burpee's consisting of 4 different variations (so 5 each) along with push ups, crunches/leg raises/etc and a few other things before I take a shower (So I get up at 5:45 to go to my stop at 6:50 and get to school at around 7:20). I have really fixed up my sleep regime lately. I used to go to bed late, especially during the summer break, but now I am already in bed by 11 to get 7 hours of sleep minimum, and mostly try to be in bed earlier than that (but it takes awhile to take a shower and stuff).

I also use acne creams and washes twice a day to keep myself acne free. I might have one or two pimples every now and then, but I am pretty much entirely free on my face and body.

So there it is. Everything about my eating/sleeping/exercise/lifestyle habits. Anyone want to offer some advice, or comments?

Thanks.

grandma is offline Member

Sounds to me you are doing great. Keep eating healthy natural food prepared at home for traditional recipes. Keep active. I wouldn't change a thing.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

Anyone want to offer some advice, or comments?
    </blockquote>

Distill your thoughts into a more precise post. Don&#39;t post exactly the same thread three times.

I would suggest you skip the potatoes, buckwheat, supplements, crackers, yoghurt, oatmeal, waffles and other stuff you know is not good for you.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

grandma is offline Member

With all due respect to Tarlach (a very knowledgeable chap) I foresee a problem with you attempting a primal lifestyle while your parents are providing and preparing your meals. Unless they are on board, it will be difficult for you to control you meals. From what I read you parents are providing very well for you, you are lucky. Control the things you can, but you will need to compromise. Crackers and waffles, you can avoid those most likely, particularly if you prepare your own breakfast and pack your own lunch. Buckwheat and potatoes, just take less at your meal.

You didn&#39;t mention any goals, so I&#39;m not really sure what sort of advice you are asking for.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Mick Guest

[quote]

I started working with weights recently.</blockquote>

I&#39;d suggest get some training and guidance from a qualified strength coach, if you can and haven&#39;t already.

greggor Guest

Hello Fellow UKI! Ah the days when Baba would stuff my face full of Kapusta (cabbage filled pastas) or pedaheh (potato stuffed pasta). Of course they were all natural, but that still doesn&#39;t mean that they&#39;re good for you. I also forsee a problem with you going primal. I know how it is to grow up with a different culture. What your parents make you, were made for them when they were children, and so on and so on. Tradition is synonymous with law in Ukrainian ways. Really, just try to get away with little things here and there. Try to cut back on starchy portions, and get bigger servings of the meat. That way, they&#39;ll just think you&#39;re a normal growing Uki boy. At school/ during the day, a great snack is a pint of whipping cream, or hard boiled eggs, or bacon. My grandfather was actually a butcher, so I know how great the meats can get. Be creative, or covert. Which ever way you want to say it. Cook a bunch of bacon at once, and put a couple strips in a baggies for the week. Or, during your trip to school in the morning, stop by a grocery store and get that pint of heavy whipping cream. You won&#39;t be hungry for a snack, I promise.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Are you male or female? I bet you&#39;ll find that you don&#39;t need acne products any longer if you stick with primal eating (which sometimes means no dairy...It seems to irritate my skin personally!) I used to use Proactiv (that stuff adds up$..) once to twice a day, but now I just rub coconut oil into my skin at night, then rinse it off well. Cavemen didn&#39;t use acne wash, why should we?!?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Well, hello I moved from Ukraine to US about 8 years ago, and I will second greggor that in Ukraine it&#39;s all about the traditions. I can see where it might be problematic to get your parents on board with primal eating.

With that said, my mother is Ukrainian as well and I just recently got her hooked on PB and she&#39;s loving it. She doesn&#39;t miss buckwheat, potatoes, etc.

Keep reading about primal way of eating and order yourself Mark&#39;s Primal Blueprint book. It will help you to sort a lot of things out and to understand the reasoning behind Primal Blueprint.

By the way, I absolutely love to cook so I always used to cook some Ukrainian recipes here in Wisconsin, but now that I understand the priciples of PB I figured out how to cook most of the same stuff but with sibstituting certain ingredients to make those dishes primal.

Mick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

There are some interesting issues here, aren&#39;t there?

I agree with the social points Sir Grandma makes.

I recently came across a comment from someone who does strongly recommend certain ways of eating, but who also says:
    [quote]

Rudolf Steiner warned against any dietary formulations ... or rigid guidelines, that separated individuals from their fellow men during meal times. For man, eating is a social activity, much different for humans than animals.
    </blockquote>

I guess Steiner is not exactly mainstream and perhaps not to most people&#39;s taste, but I suppose he had a point there.

Anyone who does get to sit down to a table and eat home-cooked food with other people is very lucky these days. Increasingly, people eat alone. At the extreme, it seems that many people with mental and emotional problems, and who engage in criminal activities, are not only malnourished but don&#39;t eat socially ever. Here&#39;s an interesting article by a prison psychiatrist on that:
    [quote]

I asked the young man whether his mother had ever cooked for him.

“Not since my stepfather arrived. She would cook for him, like, but not for us children.”

I asked him what they—he and his brothers and sisters—had eaten and how they had eaten it.

“We’d just eat whatever there was,” he said. “We’d look for something whenever we was hungry.”

“And what was there?”

“Bread, cereals, chocolate—that kind of thing.”

“So you never sat round a table and ate a meal together?”

“No.”

In fact, he told me that he had never once eaten at a table with others in the last 15 years. Eating was for him a solitary vice, something done almost furtively, with no pleasure attached to it and certainly not as a social event.
    </blockquote>

http://www.city-journal.org/html/12_4_oh_to_be.html

Greggor&#39;s comment is interesting, too:
    [quote]

Try to cut back on starchy portions, and get bigger servings of the meat.
    </blockquote>

I&#39;ve sometimes wondered if some of the "eat less meat" theme has a social origin. That&#39;s to say when people did eat together, if someone got more of what was (rightly) most prized - the meat - then others got less. Maybe that&#39;s the origin, because it&#39;s a pretty old theme.

Here&#39;s an extract from Xenophon:
    [quote]

... Socrates noticed that one of the company at dinner had stopped eating bread and was eating the savouries by themselves ...
    </blockquote>

http://books.google.com/books?id=IzEkixDBUVQC&dq

You find the same drum being banged in Locke&#39;s Thoughts on Education:
    [quote]

But if my young master must needs have flesh, let it be but once a day, and of one sort of a meal. Plain beef, mutton, veal, &c. without other sauce than hunger, is best; and great care should be used, that he eat bread plentifully, both alone and with every thing else ...
    </blockquote>

http://www.bartleby.com/37/1/2.html

I tend to think that one reason that people were so easily sold on the "lipid hypothesis" is because there was already a pretty old tradition of "take more bread with it" running all the way back to the Greeks at least and cropping up later in people like Locke.