Thread: What vegetables to eat cooked, and which to eat raw? page

jimpag is offline Senior Member

What vegetables to eat cooked, and which to eat raw?

Shop Now
    So when you read around it seems like almost every vegetable out there has some nasty stuff in them that you have to cook them to get of them.

So im just wondering what vegetables you guys think is fine to eat raw, because I would think only eating cooked vegetables wouldnt be optimal, would like some of those vegetable enzymes intact, right?

Usually I boil and or stir fry broccoli, asparagus and spinach. Im gonna starting today add some raw romaine lettuce, that vegetable and iceberg lettuce is like the only two vegetable I havent stumbled across lots of people saying they are bad in a raw state.

What vegetables do you guys eat raw and which do you cook? And what is your general thought about cooked vs raw vegetbales?

nutritionut is offline Member
    Cruciferous vegetables need to be cooked to deactivate the goitrogens, or thyroid-inhibiting agents. So you definitely want to cook broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, collard greens, brussel sprouts, etc until they are tender but not mushy.

Personally, I steam or stick all my veggies in the oven except for carrots. I've read a lot about how raw carrots clean out toxins in the gut. But obviously vegetables like zuccini and spinach need less cooking. I think spinach is another vegetable that is probably okay without cooking.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I eat almost all of my veggies both ways.
    I love to cut up bits of zucchini and/or yellow squash into my salads, with some raw red onion (just a little, those are potent), fresh tomatoes, a few leafy greens (spinach, too), mushrooms, red bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and parsnip. (I tried jicama in salad and it's really better on its own). Obviously not every salad has all of those, but they all have at least three.
    I also like to cook carrots, parsnips, yellow squash and zuchini together (adding the yellow and green much later) in ginger and butter.
    I can't stand cooked broccoli or cauliflower, and prefer my greens crispy, but otherwise, most things get both treatments. Asparagus is always cooked for me, green beans (when I eat them), too.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    On the other hand, some vitamins and anti-oxidants and whatever are diminished by cooking.

Therefore, I ignore the whole issue and eat vegetables raw or cooked, whichever way suits my fancy at the moment. Just the fact that I'm eating vegetables instead of bread and Cheerios is the main impact on my diet.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I eat it how I want to eat it t that day. I try to remember to cook the goitrengic veggies, but I love broccoli raw, so it's a toss- up.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    On the other hand, some vitamins and anti-oxidants and whatever are diminished by cooking.

Therefore, I ignore the whole issue and eat vegetables raw or cooked, whichever way suits my fancy at the moment. Just the fact that I'm eating vegetables instead of bread and Cheerios is the main impact on my diet.

+ !0

Travis Culp is offline Junior Member
    I give my broccoli and spinach a fairly light steaming. You can eat so much more steamed spinach than raw, even if you're taking a slight hit in nutrient content. The water is almost imperceptibly colored post-steaming, so there can't be that much leaving the, well, leaves.