Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headaches page 2

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Um what? I never said that I had this for breakfast! Where the fiddlestix did you get that idea? I drink one for my afternoon snack, usually around 3pm.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    It's still not good for you. Have real, whole food, not pureed food.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Indestructible is offline Junior Member
    I find nuts make an awesome arvo snack - I sometimes have a little cheese (fermented) with it too but I know that a lot of primal eaters don't go that way...

On the headache issue. When I switched to the primal diet I'd had years of headaches so couldn't really say if I got low-carb flu on the switch over but can say within a month my headaches were greatly reduced in intensity and frequency. I found that they further reduced at about the 5 month mark after I read an article. It was about the traditional Inuit diet and referenced a condition known to the Inuit people as "rabbit mailaise" - a condition of fatigue and headaches during a time of year when the only meat they could get was lean rabbits. The take home message was when fatty food was available they were fine - minus the fat they all felt ill. I upped my fat intake quite dramatically and my headaches have become even less frequent and less intense.

So... maybe more fats could help your condition - if you're worried about calorie intake you could eat a little less as carbs and protein and a little more as fat.

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Headaches are gone, and I actually think they were linked to the St. John's Wort tea I was drinking. I cut that out-headaches gone. Thanks for the advice.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Some people are more sensitive to the transition to ketosis. I always get a dull headache, my spouse doesn't. It is better for me not to go in and out, but just stay in for a while. I have to drop below 20g carbs.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

ShannonWinchester is offline Junior Member
    Griff,

I tried using coconut milk (1/2 cup), with almond milk (1/2 cup, unsweetened), and protein powder (low carb) and now have a "WICKED" headache along with some hotflashes (post meno), and in general feel like I have a good case of carb flu. I have been doing low carb. (I have 72.5 lbs to lose). I lost 90 lbs before doing Atkins and am doing that again with Primal modifications. I also have multiple food allergies, which I am trying very hard to avoid taking in any of the foods. But this means I am struggling with breakfast as eggs are off the table. I have been at it hardcore for 6 days and today is the first day of this headache. So if I reduce the carbs will I experience the carb flu more, but it will go away sooner? And what do you recommend for breakfast for the egg allergic gal?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    ^Any other kind of fat & protein makes a good breakfast. Leftover meat from dinner or freshly cooked. Eat a steak! Have some drumsticks! Don't think conventional.

As for length of carb flu, it varies from person to person. Best thing you can do is make sure you get plenty of fat and protein during the transition and after to get your body burning fat. And don't forget to hydrate! I would suggest you avoid almond milk and possibly also protein powder altogether to avoid any excess sugar (yes, even if it's unsweetened) and overly processed food sources for at least the first month.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    The best breakfast of all is no breakfast at all...

IF FTW.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ShannonWinchester is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh for the ability ot fast for breakfast. Unfortunaly my body is too "tuned in" and I wake hungry", now this may be related to PTSD and other stressor, which I am working on getting rid of or dealing with, but until I can turn off the hunger monster completely breakfast is a must most mornings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12