Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Certain traditional foods you refuse to give up as an uber-indulgence? page

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member

Certain traditional foods you refuse to give up as an uber-indulgence?

Shop Now
    Hey PB Community,

Most of us "cheat" once in a while, and I'm sure most of us just got through a whole month of cheating. Just wondering what your big indulgences are if you have any. I know that I'll never give up making the corn-laden traditional tamales my family has made every single year of my life, since the first year of my parents' marriage. It's a two-day long process, and it reminds me of the time I lived in Mexico and my Mexican family that I love so much. But once the tamales are gone, I'm totally content to wait another 11 months for them!

Not looking for justification for my rampant tamal-eating. I'm going to do it no matter how many evil carbs are them. Just wondering what your traditional indulgences are too!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Ferrero Rocher, turtles, my father's couscous and mac and cheese, and my mother in law mole. The first two appear and disappear for Christmas and my birthday, the 3rd I haven't had since high school (I live across the state now),the 4th one I have once a year at Thanksgiving, and the last one I get maybe 4 times a year.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    My family eats tamales too, but I was never a big fan of them.

There was a time I didn’t eat any rice at all, now I’m back to it somewhat, so if my mom makes something yummy with rice in it I’ll partake, but my portions are smaller than they used to be and I still focus mostly on the good meat and only have some of the rice.

I still love the shit out of beans and lentils, I’m eating garbanzo beans for lunch today actually. So if my fam’s having rice and beans I’ll have some, there was a time though when I wouldn’t touch them, but it was all a part of a learning process. I can’t think of a specific dish though right now.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    I will eat the hell out of some Mexican food, tortillas and all! lol I will never give up my aunt's 18 layer chocolate cake either, good thing I only have it maybe 3 times a year!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    two things:
    Chuy's creamy jalepeno sauce. I don't have any plans to get any (I used to get some on my annual trips to Texas, but now I've moved here and Chuy's is 1.9 miles away), but if I forbid it, I know I'll be there by dinnertime. So, it's an indulgence. I'll have some next time I get desperate.
    Green goddess stuff mushrooms at the Melting Pot. It's $$$ there, so I eat there once per year. Stuffing a mushroom, covering it in batter and deep frying it, then eating it while the cheesy/creamy stuff inside is still melted is one of God's gifts to us. I don't care if it is gluten-y. Yum!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Nothing at all.

Though god do I miss pizza! Thats about it though.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i really can't say. i mean, i don't see primal as all that strict, and i definitely see the once-a-year tamale as fitting well within 20%. i don't see an issue with this, or anything else that would be occasional.

of course, i don't have to worry about food allergies, reactions, and what not.

and moving to NZ helped. mexican and pizza here *sucks* and most of the really good food is primal. so, i actually *don't* miss it unless i'm missing the US, so. . .yeah.

though, i imagine that if i go back to the US, i will likely go to a really good mexican place, and probably eat some really good mexican food -- corn and all. but then again, maybe not. it just depends.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    after all, we had stollen at christmas, so. . .

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Ale, though I am not currently drinking any.

Paleo Bill is offline Junior Member
    Starbucks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast