Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ennasirk's Primal Journey page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

ennasirk's Primal Journey

From the meet & greet thread:

Your location: Oakland, CA

Age (If you want): Just turned 40

How Primal are you: I strive for 90%+ but go on and off the "wagon"

Do you consume dairy: Not much - plain yogurt daily, 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee, and some cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee daily, herbal teas occasionally

Motivator for switching to Primal: I feel better when I eat primal. I'm less prone to depression, mood swings, energy swings. And it's proven the most effective way for me to lose weight/maintain my weight.

Favorite exercise: Working out with my trainer and/or in his boot camp classes

Favorite Primal food: Bacon!

Best part about being Primal: The way it makes me feel.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss sweets.

My intro (previously posted to Meet & greet)

I'm not new to low-carb eating; in 2003 and 2004 I dropped 125 lbs on the Atkins diet (which, in its purest form, is not all that different from primal eating - it's the bastardization of Atkins with a ton of packaged/processed crap that can make it a very different eating plan). Then I stopped eating low-carb, and over the past 5+ years I've re-gained and re-lost up to 50 of those pounds a bunch of times.

I found Mark's Daily Apple about a year ago and started following the blog but wasn't ready to recommit till this summer, when I went back to what I knew worked and started primal eating again. One of the reasons I'd been so hesitant to go back to cutting carbs was the "all or nothing" mantra of the Atkins folks. I appreciated the 80/20 approach, even though I am usually more in the 95/5 range.

From July - October I was doing great, then in October I injured myself skydiving (nasty left ankle sprain and torn right MCL), which severely limited me for a couple months, and still has me somewhat limited (I still can't run or jump). For me, movement and eating are a virtuous cycle, and I used the fact that I couldn't move the way I wanted as an excuse to go far far off the deep end and into non-Primal pure comfort food.

So here I am, facing down 2011 having re-gained most of the 20 lbs I lost last summer but ready to get moving again and ready to eat well again. I did a whole bunch of shopping yesterday so my kitchen is fully tricked out with Primal goodness. I'm planning to work with my physical therapist and trainer to kick my rehab up a notch so I can return to full functionality as soon as safely possible. I miss being able to push my body as hard as I was, but I also know that I have to do this rehab right so that I don't end up with a more serious injury.

Edit to add: I'm 40 years old, 5'10", starting weight (this time) is 264.6 lbs. My short-term weight goal is 15 lbs by the end of the first quarter, longer term is 40 lbs in 2011.

My short-term fitness goal is to get back to full functionality (post injury) by the end of the quarter, though I'm really shooting for the end of February, I'm giving myself a little cushion as there's only so much control I can have over the healing timeline. Long term is to run a 5K, and to kick more ass at my boot camp classes rather than being one of the slower people in the group (though I'm definitely not one of the weaker people - I can lift some heavy things!).
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-05-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Monday's journal

Morning weight: 264.6 (starting weight) Height 5'10" (no, I don't expect that to change, just including it for reference!)

Workout: 30 minutes with personal trainer. Still modifying exercises to accommodate my recovering ankle/knee injuries, but I'm getting closer every day to being back to full capability. Can't wait!

Pre-workout: 1 cup plain whole milk organic yogurt

Breakfast: 16 oz coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, 3 eggs scrambled in butter with a little cheese, 1 slice bacon

Lunch: 6 oz mahi-mahi with green beans and broccoli

Snack: apple with almond butter

Dinner: big-ass salad and home made chicken soup
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-05-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Tuesday's journal

Morning weight 260.8 (-3.8)

Workout: 30 minutes with personal trainer.

Breakfast: 16 oz coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, 3 eggs scrambled in butter with a little cheese, 1 slice bacon

Lunch: Thai chicken curry (coconut milk, chicken thigh meat, broccoli, onion, green beans)

Dinner: medium-ass salad, Niman Ranch bacon-wrapped pork loin chop
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Wednesday's journal

Morning weight 257.8 (-6.8) ... yes, I know it's all water weight but it still feels gooooood

Breakfast: 1 cup plain whole milk organic yogurt, 16 oz coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, 3 eggs scrambled in butter with a little cheese, 1 slice bacon

Lunch: 6 oz mahi-mahi with green beans and broccoli

[having a hungry day... ]

Snack 2: 1 c plain whole milk organic yogurt
    [still having a hungry day... ]

Workout: 1 mile walk

Dinner (planned): souvlaki chicken and a big-ass salad
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Morning weight 255.6 (-9)

Breakfast: 1 cup plain whole milk organic yogurt, 16 oz coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, 3 eggs scrambled in butter with a little cheese, 1 slice bacon

Lunch: big-ass salad and home made chicken soup

Workout: 1.5 mile walk

Dinner: 8 oz hamburger with 1 slice bacon and cheese, and broccoli
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-06-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Morning weight 255.8 (-8.8) Guess the water weight is all gone ...

Workout: Physical therapy ... PT says I'm doing great, especially on the balance/strength exercises. I can see the homestretch on recovery from my injuries!

Lunch: 6 oz mahi-mahi with green beans and broccoli, one satsuma mandarin

Dinner: big-ass salad, Niman Ranch bacon-wrapped pork loin chop
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Morning weight 256.0 (-8.6)

Workout A couple miles walking around SF

Lunch Chicken soup and lamb curry

Dinner: arugula sauteed with bacon, garlic, and red onions and topped with a fig balsamic, big-ass salad
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-08-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Morning weight 257.0 (-7.6) Not worrying yet. Letting the body settle out for a while and I know my body - fluctuations of a pound or three from day to day are totally normal and to be expected. If I'm going to weigh daily I have to acknowledge daily ups and downs ... as long as the general trend is down.

Brunch: 1 cup plain whole milk organic yogurt, 16 oz coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, 4 mini-quiche (egg, parm cheese, broccoli, onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, goat cheese).

Workout: Physical therapy exercises

Snack1: apple with almond butter

Snack2: 1 cup plain whole milk organic yogurt

Snack3: apple with almond butter

Dinner: Avocado chicken soup, medium-ass salad
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.

My primal log

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Morning weight 255.4 (-9.2)

Workout: personal training

Brunch: 16 oz coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, 4 mini-quiche (egg, parm cheese, broccoli, onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, goat cheese), satsuma mandarin.

Snack: Satsuma mandarin

Lunch: Sigh... box lunch - Tiny salad with ranch dressing; ham / cheese from the ham sandwich, leftover avocado chicken soup (I knew better than to trust a box lunch!)

Dinner: Big-ass salad + 6 hot wings (processed... these plus the ham might explain some of the weight gain).
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-11-2011 at 08:22 AM.

My primal log

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast