Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthing / Grounding - Snake Oil or is there something to it? page

RedYeti is offline Junior Member

Question Earthing / Grounding - Snake Oil or is there something to it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On Marks recent post on relaxation someone commented and linked to a site on "earthing".

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/15-wa...comment-697147

So my first thought was "Rubbish!" (very sorry DBeee! but I don't know who you are, and there seem to be no other comments from you previously).

Which is probably a healthy reaction as long as you then follow up to ensure you're right...

And poking-around online, there is indeed some reasonable looking research and a lot of noise about this being "for real". See this for example:

http://www.groundology.com/scientific_research.php

It has a certain logic to it but I'm wondering if anyone here has come across any better information or has any personal experience of it?

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like nonsense to me.

Yes thanks - sounded like it to me too but as I asked - does anyone know if it actually is nonsense or not?

Anyone with any experience of it or knowledge that might back it up or invalidate it?

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Well, all I can say is that I feel better when I've had a chance to walk around barefoot in the grass. I've never heard of this being an actual "thing" before, but I do think all the currents, transmissions, & etc flowing through the air can't be good. People used to think meditation & yoga was all new-age nonsense, but we've come a long way from that.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I can easily get behind the psychological benefits of walking barefoot, but that stuff looks like pure grokplop to me.

And to me - hence the title.

But does anyone have any knowledge to add to this perhaps?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    As an electrician I can tell you every time you use a tap, or touch a metallic appliance case, you are (Or should be) electrically 'earthed'.

The electrical potential between you and the general mass of earth at that point, is 0 volts.

Any difference between you and earth would be reduced to 0 at the speed of electricity; think of the speed and sensation of both static and current electric shocks!

Exactly, so a shower should do the trick nicely.

Some evidence then on the "It's snake oil" side!

However (to play devil's advocate) it's the slightly longer term application (say overnight) that may make the difference perhaps?

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    As an electrician I can tell you every time you use a tap, or touch a metallic appliance case, you are (Or should be) electrically 'earthed'.

The electrical potential between you and the general mass of earth at that point, is 0 volts.

Any difference between you and earth would be reduced to 0 at the speed of electricity; think of the speed and sensation of both static and current electric shocks!
    As a former electrician, you beat me to it. lol

Walking around barefoot on the grass does feel freakin' GREAT! Although I doubt it has anything to do with magical energies floating around...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    THAT sounds like a load of hogwash. I thought you were referring to another version of grounding, which I can safely say does work. Different people call it different things: centering, grounding, clearing.... Essentially, it's releasing stress and anxiety, calming down, and coming back to the present moment. It was something I picked up back in my HS Wiccan explorations and I liked. It's a method to clear your head and fend off any nastiness or panic attacks. It works well for me.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast