Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Earthing / Grounding - Snake Oil or is there something to it? page 6

traindude is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you read Dr. Mercola he has at least one article about it. "Grounding Helps Thin Dangerously Thick Blood and Fights Inflammation and Disease"

tomKY is offline Junior Member

something to it

In August of this year, wife told me about earthing and I started laughing about how stupid this was. Then I read about it to show her that this was a scam but I saw some journal articles had been written and a movie about it (I think on the Mercola web site). I still didn't buy it. So i agreed to try it to prove that this doesn't work so my wife would stop talking about it.

The first morning I tried it i had very vivid dreams of stuff that you might see in the walking dead TV series. Wow. At first i thought I might be tapping into demons for the under world. But I tried it a few more times and no crazy dreams. I think i'm sleeping much more deeply.

I struggle with anxiety and a little depression and I have noticed that these symptoms have diminished substantially. Very Substantially!!!! I suspect that this may because I'm sleeping better. I don't wake up very much when i'm tapped in to ground. Last night i was too tired to ground and I kept waking up. In the mornings I feel better, think more clearly .. perhaps because of the better sleep.

I don't think its magic but must have a scientific basis "grounded" in the fact that all biochemical reactions are electrical in nature. The most logical explanation I have read is that earthing behaves much in the same way as antioxidants we take into our body as supplements or in food. Antioxidents donate electrons to prevent oxidation of chemicals in our body (Antioxidant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and oxidation of key chemicals in our body leads to aging. The earth is negatively charged which means electrons will tend to flow to an object that is more positively charged (like our bodies). So in essence, the theory is that earthing is keeping us from oxidizing. It makes sense to me that life has evolved on earth over 3.6 billion years in homeostasis with earth's electrical system. And for the last 200 years we have become increasingly insulated and this has lead to imbalance in our chemistry. Like I said, this only makes sense to me and i'm not 100% sure that it is accurate.

What I can tell you is i'm better grounded than most and very down to earth

BTW, another fad my wife told me about is a raw food diet. I tried it and I was amazed at how much better I felt. No I don't eat raw meat. IN fact, I still eat cooked meat. I encourage you to try raw food with earthing.

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    This is awesome! I didn't know about this grounding/earthing but I've recently learnt about EMF and negative ions. Our bodies are constantly bombarded with unnatural crap!

Im trying a salt lamp out. Im glad to know theres other things I can do to counteract the damage from EMF and positive ions.

I dont think science knows everything either. If theres not a study on it yet, but its natural and feels good/works then I dont need science to tell me what my instincts/natural self already knows.
    To me, thats part of being primal/paleo.

tomKY is offline Junior Member

Hey Mama!!!!

Hi Earthly Mama,

One of the things I noticed is that I"m often impacted by the placebo effect..... so I really like scientific studies that compare the treatment group with a control group. Here are some papers in the pubmed database:

Here is where we bought our earthing products: Grounded Official Grounding | Earthing Information Products
    They have some videos, a free online book, and lots of other stuff.

The kind I use are electrodes that attache to your feet and I can snap a wire on to it. The wire goes down to the ground. The little electrodes have a tape and a gum that stick to your feet. tha, I put them below my ankle and wear them for a few days. Bt they fall off after not too long. We were thinking of getting the sheets but they are expensive. We might get a band that attaches to the wrist or ankle.

I forgot to mention that i"M doing DDP yoga too. I"m trying to combine yoga, an almost all raw food diet( except for a bit of meat now and then), and earthing. I feel very good. I think when you combine healthy living practices the sum is more than the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by earthlymumma View Post
    This is awesome! I didn't know about this grounding/earthing but I've recently learnt about EMF and negative ions. Our bodies are constantly bombarded with unnatural crap!

Im trying a salt lamp out. Im glad to know theres other things I can do to counteract the damage from EMF and positive ions.

I dont think science knows everything either. If theres not a study on it yet, but its natural and feels good/works then I dont need science to tell me what my instincts/natural self already knows.
    To me, thats part of being primal/paleo.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Mr Kruse has a lot to say about it

Living an Optimized Life -

Basically the disruption in your magnetic field as it relates to your balance with the earth's magnetism is caused by the electronics in your house and not being or sleeping on the ground. And this in tern causes chronic inflammation.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    It sounds crazy, and it could be a placebo effect, but I definitely sleep better with it and have more intense dreams. I just built my own device with instructions from the bulletproof executive forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthlymumma View Post
    A salt lamp? What will that do?
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

pharmageddon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedYeti View Post
    On Marks recent post on relaxation someone commented and linked to a site on "earthing".

15 Ways to Beat Stress | Mark's Daily Apple

So my first thought was "Rubbish!" (very sorry DBeee! but I don't know who you are, and there seem to be no other comments from you previously).

Which is probably a healthy reaction as long as you then follow up to ensure you're right...

And poking-around online, there is indeed some reasonable looking research and a lot of noise about this being "for real". See this for example:

Scientific Research: Health Benefits of Personal Grounding/Earthing

It has a certain logic to it but I'm wondering if anyone here has come across any better information or has any personal experience of it?

rubbish? Grounding is anything but rubbish. What is rubbish is walking with shoes, taking drugs, and eating chemicals. Rubbish is treating symptoms and disregarding cause of disease. Rubbish is tv dinners,and electrical pollution, rubbish is using a 5,000 lb machine to move a 95 lb woman to see her shrink. Now that's some rubbish. There is a lot of rubbish in our sick society but grounding is not a part of it. I think Doctor Sinatra really goes into it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XumPQLTzPWI
    Last edited by pharmageddon; 01-02-2014 at 07:28 AM.

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    A salt lamp? What will that do?
    It releases negative ions as it is heated by the light bulb. How much I do not know. I found mixed views on it so im trying it out. Anecdotally they make people feel a lot healthier, help with asthma and other health issues, and lift mood. They reduce EMF.

I use a night light anyway (yes *GASP*), because I co sleep with my 7month old, so im trying it in the bedroom.

TomKY
    Thanks for the info! It'll take me a while to read through them, I dont get much time to myself anymore! Not enough hours in the day, especially while my bub is napping!

BowRiver is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the conversation RedYeti

I, too, am interested in getting below the hype/reactivity to see what is really up with the Earthing Thing.

I found this article interesting; it says that yes, grounding does do *something* to the field, and that depending on your situation, it may make things better rather than worse.

http://www.electricsense.com/wp-cont...MDECKE_WEB.pdf

This page has a bunch of research papers, but I don't have the electrical literacy to figure out what they are saying, or how they address the issue of situational EMF discussed in the other article.

Scientific Research: Health Benefits of Personal Grounding/Earthing

I post these to add to the discussion, and in hopes that someone may be more able to decipher them than I am!

I am considering making a grounding sheet, but need to wait until the snow melts before I can hook it up.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456