Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek yogurt - I can't find it page

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Greek yogurt - I can't find it

Shop Now
    I went grocery shopping today, and am missing my berries in the morning, so thought I'd find some Greek yogurt to use as my berry excuse (it was oatmeal - no love lost there!). I searched through what seemed like miles of different yogurts, and couldn't find anything remotely like what I thought I was looking for. The best I could come up with was a 6% variety, and figured what the hey, I'll give it a try.

What kind of milk fat does Greek yogurt usually have, and how can I find it? I wasn't shopping at a small store, Zehr's is a big chain in Ontario and this one is a good sized one. I'm just not happy sitting down to a bowl full o' frozen and now thawed berries by themselves, and want to see if I like this stuff.

Ideas?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    greek yogurt is strained regular yogurt and you can easily make your own by lining a strainer with cheesecloth or a paper towel, pouring the yogurt in and sitting it over a bowl to catch the liquid. let it drain til it's as thick as you want

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    In one of our grocery chains the Greek yogurt is in a separate section than the regular yogurt. Ask the dairy manager.

Paleo Bill is offline Junior Member
    Two places I've bought Greek Yogurt: Trader Joe's and Wal Mart. Trader Joe's 8 ounce serving 24 grams of protein, 9 carbs. I don't remember the ratios of the Wal Mart stuff. I don't get to Wal Mart that much. Also the Wal Mart with Greek Yogurt just started carrying fresh groceries. There is a Wal Mart closer to the house that only has canned, boxed and frozen food (except for dairy and eggs). They don't have it.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Not every store is going to have it. Is there a food co-op or natural foods store in town?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Check the "natural items" coolers with the tofu and tempeh and other stuff, not the traditional dairy cooler.

Two brands I've bought in the past are Fage and Chobani. I don't have a huge preference between them.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I can actually find Greek Yogurt in most store these days...the low fat version...but it's there. I can only get the full fat Fage yogurt at Whole Foods, so I buy a big tub of it every time! Chobani also seems to be common, but usually only in the "fruit already added" individual cups. Same with Oikos. Not sure what I'd do without Whole Foods...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    if you can't find greek, you could always do the full-fat plain regular stuff. i can't find full-fat greek anywhere here, so i just enjoy the regular full-fat with my berries.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Stonyfield Farm full fat cream on the top plain yogurt has the Greek stuff beat a country mile in my book. New Hampshire company distributed at least to the border. Not sure if it gets into Canada.

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    When I was shopping with my mother over the summer we bought the Stoneyfield full fat cream on top. My mother was concerned that my step-sister wouldn't like the cream on top, because she usually gets low-fat everything for the family, and is only just becoming okay with non-skim products. I said, "She's never going to see the cream on top. That's my treat!" As soon as we got home, I scooped all the thick creamy goodness off the top and had it with berries. Hah. It is very yummy.

I also love Fage full-fat.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast