Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random food questions... page

tanyahk is offline Senior Member

Random food questions...

Primal Fuel
    New to this and have some basic but specific food questions that come up daily as I am working through what to eat each day. Understanding that most of you no longer snack.... Us newcomers still do that said, I need simple snacks that I can bring into the office. My staple is always fruit so not sure what to replace that with... Can't digest carrots properly so those are also out. Final comment - I'm not a cook. At all. I don't know how, not good at it when I try and don't enjoy it. I do try simple things but I'm going for basic and simple here. So some questions I have today include:

Is skim milk really that bad if I had some in my 1 daily coffee? I hate the taste of cream and whole milk ....

Butternut squash? I though it would be fine and then I saw a Comment in a random post about someone falling off of the wagon and eating it.... ?

Pesto sauce ok?

I have dry roasted almond 100 calorie packs, should they only be raw and not dry roasted?

I think that's all I had from today! Sorry if they seem basic and stupid! Still learning here!

mm84321 is offline Senior Member
    A tablespoon or two of skim milk a day won't hurt you. But how could you not prefer the taste of rich heavy cream in your coffee?!

Butternut squash is a healthy source of vitamin c, among other things, however, it is all dependent on your weight loss goals. Starchy vegetables, such as squash, carrots, parsnips, etc., should be avoided if you are attempting to lose weight. <50g of carb a day will yield weight loss. 50-100g will help you maintain your weight.

Pesto is fine as long as it is homemade. Otherwise be sure to check the ingredient label to make sure there are no funky ingredients in your store bought version. And I assume you aren't planning on pouring that sauce on any pasta...amirite?

Roasted almonds are actually considered to contain less levels of anti-nutrients, such as phytates, found in raw almonds. Eat away!

Good luck!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I eat different types of squash a couple of times a week and thus far have not had a problem with weight loss or with it triggering cravings. You may just need to experiment to see if it is okay for you.

Mica is offline Member
    Actually I think in Marks' book it's under 100g of carbs will induce weight loss, and 100-150g carbs is maintenance.

Butternut squash isn't starchy like potatoes are starchy. The same quantity of squash vs. potato yields significantly less calories. The two links below show that 100 grams of baked butternut squash has only 40 calories (and 10 carbs), whereas 100 grams of baked sweet potato has 76 (and 18 carbs).
    Butternut squash: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2648/2
    Sweet potato: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2668/2

To me they aren't quite comparable. Squash might be starchier than, say, spinach, but it's not on par with potatoes!

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    Actually I think in Marks' book it's under 100g of carbs will induce weight loss, and 100-150g carbs is maintenance.
    Yeah, I seem to recall under 100 being 'effortless fat loss', and under 50 being 'rapid fat loss'. I might be wrong, though.

Ah, yes. My apologies. Just checked the book. 0-50g=keto, 50-100g=weight loss sweet spot, 100-150g=effortless weight maintenance. Obviously, however, this will differ between individuals.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyahk View Post
    I need simple snacks that I can bring into the office.
    How about hard boiled eggs?
    Last edited by ennasirk; 01-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    How about hard boiled eggs?
    A great snack.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Strips of cooked chicken with guacamole for dipping. Chicken drumsticks are great for snacks too. HB eggs are awesome, also you can make egg salad with them and wrap it in lettuce leaves. Nuts ideally should be raw, but if you have packets of roasted ones already, eat them and don't stress.
    Skim milk is not ideal, but if it's just a T or 2 it shouldn't be an issue. As you become used to Primal eating, you will no doubt find that your tastes change and you will prefer the heavier fat foods anyway.
    Also fruit is fine as a snack, just have it with some protein and fat. An apple with a little chedder cheese is delicious, strawberries with cream... Yum!
    Coconut products are also a terrific snack. Coconut butter spread on an apple is to die for. Trail mix made with shredded coconut, raw nuts and a little unsweetened, dried fruit makes an easy portable snack.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Is it REALLY just a tablespoon of skimmed milk each time? It's hard to pour just a tablespoon--you could be using far more than you think. I suggest measuring 1 cup of skimmed milk into your usual milk container and see how much you use over the course of the day. I was amazed how much I was using!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast