Thread: My experience with "primal-ish" so far page

reba627 is offline Member

My experience with "primal-ish" so far

Primal Fuel
    So, a while back my friend and I started doing CrossFit and we decided it was time to change our eating habits. I tried before to do a 30-day paleo challenge and failed miserably by the second day because I think it was just too much all at once, so our "baby steps" challenge is working much better.

Since I started 6 weeks ago, I think I've only had grains twice-some lasagna christmas eve and a small helping of mac and cheese that I made for dinner the other night. And coming from someone who loved to bake fresh bread and could never resist that second serving of rolls from the bread basket (or third, or fourth!), I think that I'm doing alright with that.

I've increased my fruit/vegetable intake (although I'm probably eating more fruit than I should but am trying to make it so I'm eating more veggies than fruit) and before, I would have a constant issue with not being able to stay off the toilet some days. I'd eat lettuce and an hour later, it would be leaving my body just as quickly as it came in. Now? Since I've started, I haven't had a single problem with multiple trips to poop my brains out, where before it was happening at least twice a week.

I had a small serving of ice cream last week and I was shocked but it was too sweet for me! (Still ate it though...).

I call my journey "primal-ish" because I am still consuming some dairy (cheese here and there but even that I've cut back on) and I do have organic soy milk in my protein shake every morning (I can't drink regular milk, that still sends me running to the toilet).

After taking 30 day progress photos and seeing everything looking nearly identical, I naturally was discouraged, but when I go to CF and each week, I'm adding weight or doing less of a modification for an exercise, to me, that tells me that I'm changing. And when I have to keep stopping to pull my underwear up when I'm jumping rope, well I take that as a plus that something is working

Of course I'd like to see the fat just melt off (especially from my midsection where I carry it the most), but coming from someone who has had some serious body image issues over the years, being able to be excited about how strong my arms are getting is good enough for me right now.

Just wanted to share my little story with some people that might understand where I'm coming from. I know I could still improve my habits more, but from where I was just 6 weeks ago, I'd say I'm doing alright. And hopefully my body will follow suit and start to shed the fat from the belly!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reba627 View Post
    I call my journey "primal-ish" because I am still consuming some dairy (cheese here and there but even that I've cut back on) and I do have organic soy milk in my protein shake every morning (I can't drink regular milk, that still sends me running to the toilet).
    Dairy is primal if you can handle it, which it sounds like you can't. Soy milk is definitely not primal.

It sounds like you are off to a good start!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=reba627;299334]I call my journey "primal-ish" because I am still consuming some dairy (cheese here and there but even that I've cut back on) and I do have organic soy milk in my protein shake every morning (I can't drink regular milk, that still sends me running to the toilet)./QUOTE]
    You could try using (unsweetened) almond or coconut milk instead.

Best of luck!

reba627 is offline Member
    Oddly, regular milk is the only thing that bothers me-cottage cheese, greek yogurt, cheese, none of that stuff bothers me. I've tried almond milk, don't like the taste of it and coconut milk I can take in small doses, so yes, I use soy milk (hence the "primal-ish" title). I have to choose my battles with this and it's easier for me to allow soy milk in the morning rather than having oatmeal or something for breakfast.

Now to work on getting my carbs lower. I know I'm still consuming too much (averaging around 125g/day) and would like to get it under 100g, so I guess that's where the swapping more veggies for fruits come in.

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    If you're crossfitting, you may not wanna cut down too much.