Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and breastfeeding? page

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member

IF and breastfeeding?

Shop Now
    Can you do IF and breastfeed? I'm nursing my 6.5 mo old who is just starting solids, but will probably be getting her primary nourishment from me for at LEAST the next 6 months, if not longer. And also, is there more to it than "skip breakfast and lunch" now and then? I skip breakfast a lot, and sometimes lunch too, I just don't think to eat, or have anything in the house that's appetizing.

katzilla is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do it. I'm breastfeeding right now and thought about it and then dismissed it. You need to consume a decent amount of calories while breastfeeding in order to keep producing enough milk.

alireb is offline Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't IF while breastfeeding either. Once your supply drops, it's really hard to get back up without major time and effort.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
    Can you do IF and breastfeed?
    Absolutely! Pregnancy and milk production being the 'biological norm' for human adult women really aren't all that taxing for us. Women in famine conditions can (and do!) produce sufficient milk for their nurslings.

Drops in supply will show up around ovulation and shouldn't be attributed to any issue with primal/paleo/low carb or even intermittent fasting. Keep weight loss to 1/2lbs-1 lb per week, maintain nutritional density, appropriate Ω3:Ω6 ratios, lots of appropriate SaFAs, sufficient (not excessive) protein - around 20-30% of cals and you will be fine as will your baby.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    It may also be comforting to realize that in an environment of evolutionary adaptation, it was likely very common to miss a meal here and there or to eat only two meals a day. Pregnancy and breastfeeding are normal states for adult human women....only giving birth is very very draining for us.

Here is some other interesting reading:
    http://www.sightline.org/research/en...ngraber_essay/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tein-diet-quot

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thanks for the info!

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I'm bfing and I IF'd last wednesday - as I was going in for Tubal... didn't eat from 9pm the night before until 4pm the next day. No problem - no issues w/supply (& I have a history of supply problems) I broke the IF with a nice egg and cheese scramble... yummie...

This was my first IF, I've been primal for about 2mths (Give or take) and I'll be honest I couldn't have IF'd at the beginning of moving to a Primal WOE. I *needed* to snack too much initially - now - its just 3 meals (2 if I'm not hungry) I'm averaging btwn 1800-2200 cals/day depending on how much working out I'm doing. I eat till I'm satisfied, then move on... and I do eat rice, quinoa and potatoes occasionally (though not regularly enough to consider them part of my daily WOE - they are my 20% - as is my coffee sweetener which I'm slowly weaning off of in anticipation of doing a partial Whole 30)

If you're just starting out with the Primal WOE/WOL - make sure you've got the principles down before jumping into IFing... that way when you've got the basics you can start adding IFing to help tweak the system... at least that's my pov....

I read a bit more about IF on Mark's blog today- I don't plan on doing it quite yet- unless it's incidental, like I said. But I wondered how compatible with breastfeeding it was.

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    When I go without a meal or two I end up with the shakes, assuming low blood sugar, and then after I eat I feel horribly ill for the next several hours. My 6 month old son eats constantly, he's about 21# now exclusively breastfed, and I've not got much excess weight. I think depending on your body you can IF just find while bf'ing but it doesn't work for me. So try it and see how you feel

My baby is about the same age and weight too, I think? She hasn't been weighed in a while, but she was 9 12 at birth. She doesn't really eat very often, she prefers a huge meal and a 3-4 hour break- makes nighttime great! When is his birthday?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast