Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Nutrition page

Namasteak is offline Senior Member

Dog Nutrition

Does anyone feed their dog organ meets &/or bones? Where is the cheapest place you have found these? I got excited when I saw it at a great price online but the shipping was soooo expensive!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Have you got a farm shop near you? That would be the first place I'd ask. In the meantime, a grain-free diet is a good substitute. We use Taste of the Wild for our little spoodle.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I like Orijen. Grain-free and great Primal ingredients!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I shop grocery store sales, wholesale restaurant food supply places that are open to the public, ethnic groceries (mostly for organs), butchers, and game processors. You do not need to buy a 'pre packaged' raw to feed a raw diet. That is the most expensive way to feed raw.

If you are leery on going out on your own and want to ease into raw with a commercially prepared product, if you are in the US check out Bravo or Omas Pride......they might have a distributor in your town which will reduce shipping (since they order it on pallets). Still going to be more expensive, but can help you get through the beginning stages. Also check out yahoogroups for a local raw feeding group that can recommend places to shop in your area for the best deals.

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    We were planning on ordering the meat/bones from the same place we order ours (they have pet mixes). However, once you factor in shipping its pricey!

I've got him on a grain free food & will look into ethnic stores too!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I try to do one meal a day raw. I combine chicken wings, cut up beef heart/liver and a raw patty from the pet store. She chomps through the wings like it was butter.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 01-05-2011 at 07:38 AM.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I make up a batch of food for my Cavoodle that has kangeroo mince, chicken livers, beef heart and lamb kidneys which lasts through the week. Once a week he gets a section of marrowbone and he always gets the bone (except chicken) from any roasted meats I cook for the family.
    I can't help you with sources as I'm in Australia, but I just buy mine from the offal section of the supermarket. The most expensive thing is the kangeroo at $5 a kilo, everything else is 2 or 3 bucks a kilo.

Bacon Mint is offline Junior Member
    I belong to a raw feeding co-op in the Austin area and the prices make it easy for me to keep my dogs on a prey model diet. I would recommend searching the interwebs for one in your area.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I like Orijen. Grain-free and great Primal ingredients!
    And very, very expensive. Raw is cheaper. We do Orijen for one meal and raw for the other. Using Orijen for convenience.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try a butcher shop. You can get chicken backs and necks for cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast