Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fiber and carb counting page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

fiber and carb counting

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    when counting carbs, do you count fiber? for example, if my total carb consumption for the day was 70g, but 30 of those g were fiber, does that mean i was low carb, or very low carb?

Suki is offline Senior Member
    When they talk about carbs in the PB, they are talking about whole carbs including fiber, not net carbs. So the sweet spot, 50-100 g, includes fiber.

And your 40g of carbs a day was not very low carb though that term is subjective. I consider "very low carb" to be 0-20 g.

from my subjective pov, anything that puts a person in ketosis is vlc. what's special about the number 20? so how is it possible to have a diet that is based on vegetables while eating 20g carb or less per day?
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    I don't count carbs from non-starchy veg at all. It's just easier for me... I don't see any reason i should limit my spinach consumption .

I read somewhere around here that they are digested like fatty acids anyway?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavebot 3.0 View Post
    I don't count carbs from non-starchy veg at all. It's just easier for me... I don't see any reason i should limit my spinach consumption .
    Because then you end up like this:

I read somewhere around here that they are digested like fatty acids anyway?
    interesting. i'd love to know more about this if anyone has any info. are you trying to lose weight, and if so, have you been successful so far?

Christina* is offline Senior Member
    I count all carbs for simplicity's sake. I don't consider 40g net carbs to be VLC either but the term VLC is subjective. To the average person, 30 - 40g is VLC but to many low-carbers it's not. I wouldn't get too hung up on the labels!

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    interesting. i'd love to know more about this if anyone has any info. are you trying to lose weight, and if so, have you been successful so far?
    Can't find it on a quick search, but i read something like this i know it. I've pretty much reached my fat loss goals, working on gaining muscle now. Top of abs starting to show- I'm not super lean, but i don't think I want to be. I'm looking pretty great lately

~70g carbs a day, if i am counting those.

I found this old thread that is basically this thread though.

Can't find it on a quick search, but i read something like this i know it. I've pretty much reached my fat loss goals, working on gaining muscle now. Top of abs starting to show- I'm not super lean, but i don't think I want to be. I'm looking pretty great lately

I found this old thread that is basically this thread though.
    hmm... the search function doesn't seem to be working for me.
    if you don't mind, what was your starting weight or bf% (estimate), and how long did it take you to get where you are now?

Mizz Hawaii is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Cavebot 3.0;299541]Can't find it on a quick search, but i read something like this i know it. I've pretty much reached my fat loss goals, working on gaining muscle now. Top of abs starting to show- I'm not super lean, but i don't think I want to be. I'm looking pretty great lately

Cavebot are you a male or female?? I always find men can get away with more carbs then woman. The first time I did a low carb diet which was an unhealthy atkins diet I lived on bacon, eggs, cheese, burger pattys, buttered peal 'n eat shrimp and steak
    I literally ate almost no carbs. I did loose 20 #'s like I was on crack. Every week people were flipping out at how fast I was loosing weight. I started 5'4 weighing 135 got down to 115 in 2 months. Now I'm trying to repeat this process but in a healthy way and I noticed as I've gotten a little bit older diet really is starting to affect me. Achy joints, tired, cramps, gas, bloating, lack of motivation and energy when I dont eat well. I'm in it for the life style change. So obviously my previous diet is out. I was wondering since I'm adding way more veggies to my diet no dairy, limited nuts and no fruit till I lose most of the fat. I do however eat plenty of spagetti squash and butter but squash are they to starchy? Should I limit the amount of these veggies I eat? I'm looking for maximum loss in the shortest time. So I can go back to eating my yummy fruit and not have to be so strict with my diet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast