Thread: Question about Sugar vs Carbohydrates? page

LEED3D is offline Member

Question about Sugar vs Carbohydrates?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey All,

This is my first post as I'm brand new to the Primal Blueprint!! ( I'll introduce myself and my background in the other thread soon).

I just had quick question I wanted clarification on. I've read the entire Primal Blueprint along with several blog entries from Mark. I understand that both sugars and carbohydrates get converted to glucose that stimulates insulin production. Everything I've read mentions to keep your carbs in the 50-100 grams per day range. However, I never see anything about how many grams of sugar I should be limited too? I know Carbs are sugars but does the carbohydrate nutrition facts on a food already account for the sugars??

I'd really appreciate any clarification on this! Thanks all and I'm looking forward to getting to know each one of you real soon and hope to become an integrated member of this great community real soon!

Lee from Arlington, Virginia

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    In nutrition labels, the sugars are already accounted for in the total carb count. They break them out on the label for additional info.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I'd say outside of healthy carbs from sweet potatoes and squash you should keep your straight-up-sugar levels as close to zero as possible, and that if you do have sugars it's in the form of honey or maple syrup, etc.

LEED3D is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    In nutrition labels, the sugars are already accounted for in the total carb count. They break them out on the label for additional info.
    Thank you! This makes so much more sense now lol

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome LEED3D!

I've had a lot of luck limiting my sugar intake to a little bit with my coffee in the morning, and a few squares of dark chocolate (or primal chocolate mousse which is bomb) in the evening. It's probably not more than 1 Tablespoon per day, which by most standards sounds pretty good to me. However like the others have said, as close to zero as possible.

I'd also be wary of any "label" that you're reading. Go for whole foods as often as possible - no labels.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Carbohydrates ARE sugars (and fiber and starch) and sugars ARE carbohydrates. So here is my two cents: the recommendation to keep carbs between 50-100 includes all the carbs. Sugars, starch, fiber. Some people subtract the fiber from their figures, I don't. Straight up sugars (granulated, raw, honey, agave, maple syrup, etc) are metabolized VERY quickly and hence cause a spike in blood sugar with a corresponding spike in insulin and then a blood sugar crash. The carbohydrates found in things like veggies tend to be metabolized more slowly due to being more complex chains as well as being MUCH more bulk per amount of carbohydrate. (i.e. 1 teaspoon of sugar contains 4 grams of carbohydrate. To get 4 grams of carbohydrate out of lettuce you have to eat 10 cups of lettuce!) So limit your total carbohydrates to the level that works for you. Avoid the processed sugars as much as you can and it will be much better for your insulin levels and make it MUCH easier to maintain the level of carbs you want to maintain!