Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan coming to visit - HELP! page

sofiawahaj Guest

Primal Fuel

My vegan friend is coming to visit me next month. We both love to cook, and I really want to cook super yummy meals for her while she is here. However, I couldn't imagine two more opposite diets. Yes, we overlap in veggies and nuts (although I like to cook my veggies in butter or bacon fat usually!). I guess I will have to use olive oil and make meals where I simply replace our meat with tofu for her. Does anyone know any yummy vegan-primal hybrid/crossover recipes?

Also, any links to articles I should read before she comes over would be great. I have heard of the Vegetarian Myth and plan on reading that, but anything else? I don't want to challenge her vegan ways, but I want to be ready to defend any possible debates that might arise.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind that these are diets, not religions, and you should be able to eat together in peace and harmony.

Put all your effort into killer veggie dishes, then have meat on the side for you, and a loaf of whole-grain bread or a pot of brown rice and beans for her on the side.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Those squash fritters cooked in coconut oil are awesome and something both of you could probably enjoy.

I'm having mine with pork loin though...

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

well my oldest daughter is on Atkins and her husband is a vegan she makes her meat dish and makes vegetables for him(well she makes x tra veggies) and does some sort of bean dish for him.

they get along wonderful on 2 different ways of eating!

fritchbeetle is offline Junior Member

I had a vegan friend here for three weeks! One of those weeks was the Health Challenge!! Ack! I made fish soft tacos for my husband and myself and made quinoa for him to eat instead of the fish. I had black bean dip, homemade guacamole, lettuce, onions, bell peppers, and mahi mahi. Yum! You might try a quiche for you and a egg-substitute quiche for her. I also like dragonmamma's suggestion of creating killer veggie dishes with meat on the side for you and brown rice or ezekiel break (or sourdough) on the side for her. Also, sweet potatoes might be okay to throw in as a starch for her.

I would suggest against using tofu. Soy is evil. Read "The Vegetarian Myth" for more about soy. And use coconut oil to cook your veggies in instead of olive oil. Read "Nourishing Traditions" for information on why it's bad to heat (and then eat) olive oil.

Not sure how to approach defending your diet. Just be patient and full of grace.

maba is offline Senior Member

This post might be useful should a debate arise:

http://nourishedkitchen.com/49-reasons-vegetarian-rebuttal/

WAPF article on Soy:

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtsoy.html

sofiawahaj Guest

Thanks everyone! My library doesn't have Vegetarian Myths, and not sure if I actually want to spend the money to order it. But I would like to read it.

Anyways, I am making sure I understand why I do everything I do exactly. For example, I knew cooking with olive oil was bad, but I forgot exactly WHY, so I looked it up and now I remember why (oxidation). I know I am gonna get the "Why don't you eat tofu? And why can't you eat legumes?" I think the canned answer for most things will be "Because we weren't adapted to eat those things and my body performs at peak function without them." But I want to have all my ducks in a row and be able to stand strong in my defenses and not just say "Well, I know it's unhealthy and there is a reason, but I can't remember exactly what it is."

nina_70 Guest

If you do get into a discussion on foods, I think the book "nourishing traditions" is a good resource. Do you know if she sprouts her grains? Or, uses fermented products? Even if she's not interested in alternative ways of eating, sprouting grains & using fermented foods could help to neutralize some of the anti-nutrients in the food & help her long-term. Western A Price also has some good sources on this.

Main page:

http://www.westonaprice.org/

On soy & fermented soy products:

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/ploy.html

On sprouting grains:

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html

pandapuffs Guest

Everyone is different, so I can't speak for your friend, but as a very recent ex-vegetarian/vegan the excerpts I've read from The Vegetarian Myth didn't speak to me at all. I was totally turned off from ever reading the book because of the bits I read. Some vegetarians (many, belief it or not) are reasonable, cool-headed people--which the author, I got the distinct impression, is NOT, regardless of her diet. So tread lightly with that one. I think as far as boning up on your research, go at it from the approach of what is healthy and good about both your diets, and see where that leads.

Anyhoo, you asked about food! If you don't avoid soy entirely, tempeh is something that you can both enjoy. It's fermented (good), minimally processed, and traditional. You could also do a Japanese meal with sashimi for you and vegetarian rolls for her, with tamari on the side. Asian greens or a seaweed salad on the side, and maybe if you want to throw in more cooked foods a few teriyaki kabobs (meat and veg). A hearty vegetarian soup or stir-fry can be for both of you, just serve her and toss in meat after that.

There are some low-carb vegetarian cookbooks out there that you might check out, as well as recipes online. Those books might have some primal veg recipes that you can both happily enjoy. But don't be afraid to cook veggie sides and meat for you. If she's like most vegans out there, she will just want both of you to eat well, and will be "live and let live" about it. As a vegan guest I was always really gracious and appreciative for the vegan food people cooked for me, and while I was happy if we all ate the same thing it wasn't required

Lastly, ask her! She knows what she likes and might have some great ideas.

Sofi, how about a veggie soup? You can always add a whole bunch of cooked meat into yours right before eating it.

Also, you could cook (steam) a variety of steamed veggies and tubers with natural spices and then drizzle your final meal with warmed Coconut Oil! (With your choice of meat on the side).

Bake some of Elana's pantry's baked goods, since she does have some vegan items and should make your friend feel right at home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast