Thread: Blood Test Results Interpretation Help page

ryanwtyler is offline Junior Member

Blood Test Results Interpretation Help

Primal Fuel
    anyone who can help,

I am a 33 year old, healthy (I thought), extremely active crossfitter. I have been active my whole life and have been crossfitting since August. I decided i was going to really try to improve my diet which hasn’t been great. My “before” body fat is 10.4%. I recently got the results of my lipid profile and diabetes screen.

Lipid Profile:

Cholesterol, Total: 145
    Triglycerides: 30
    HDL Cholesterol: 69 (it says > 59 is negative risk factor for CHD)
    VLDL: 6
    LDL: 70

That looks great but here comes the bad news.

Diabetes Screen:

Glucose: 90
    Hemoglobin A1C: 5.9% (reference interval is 4.8-5.6)
    Bunch of normal readings
    MCHC: 31.9 (reference range is 32-36)

My question is can you give me some insight to why it is that my Lipid profile is so good and diabetes screen so bad. is there anything specific i can do to target a1c and MCHC?

Will my low triglyceride negatively effect workouts or cause any other problems?

Thanks very much.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Found this: http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org.../22/3/141.full
    "Although it can be falsely low, there are other conditions that can lead to a falsely elevated A1C, including alcoholism, lead poisoning, opiate addiction, excessive use of salicylate (due to interference), and pregnancy. The increase is often small and is not of clinical relevance, leaving diabetes in the majority of cases as the primary cause of A1C elevation."
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lizch is offline Senior Member
    By the way, I'm also finding general upper limits in the 6.0% to 6.5% range. Your cut-off seems unusually low?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food