Thread: Procedures: Freezing Fresh Vegetables page

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member

Procedures: Freezing Fresh Vegetables

Shop Now
    I'm looking to learn how to properly freeze veggies so they don't go bad before we use em. List the steps you follow for the various veggies you freeze - please and thank you.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I often freeze greens (like collards). After they're cooked, I just place them in a single layer on a pre-chilled sheet tray and pop them in the freezer for a few hours, until they're totally frozen. Then I wrap them in plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil and into a freezer bag. They reheat very quickly and taste not much different from fresh. Next time I might try running them through a salad spinner or drying with paper towels to remove excess moisture.

I have also frozen winter squash and sweet potatoes. After cooking, I put them into old yougurt containers and put them in the fridge overnight. The next day I stuck them in the freezer. I have also frozen caramleized onions in the same manner. I did this because, from what I understand, the quailty of a frozen food is better if the transition to frozen is as fast as possible.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Things I have chopped and thrown in a bag: onions, peppers

things I have blanched (10-20 seconds in boiling water, then plunge into icy water to stop the cooking process): greens, roots (carrot, parsnip)

Things I have cooked completely before freezing: greens, "random leftovers".

In all cases, my approach was to bag it up in portions, and throw it in. It mostly worked! Anything with a very high water content would probably turn to mush though - like tomato, aubergine, courgette...??

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    blanche them for a few seconds & vacuum seal them in portion sized bags. If you dont have a vacuum sealer...get one
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Chop fresh onions, peppers, tomatoes, apples, greens, etc. to use in cooking later, toss into freezer bag. Done.

This DOES NOT work for broccoli - fresh broccoli that is frozen then cooked takes on a more bitter taste.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I had a favorite web page for looking up how to freeze just about anything, but now I can't find it. This looks pretty much the same, though: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze.html
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.