Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a water fast. page

mm84321 is offline Senior Member

Starting a water fast.

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone.

Earlier in 2010 I completed a 20 day water fast. I had done this for various reasons, with weight loss not being a primary goal. I have never been overweight to begin with, and I was searching more for internal health and self discovery from the fast. It was not a spiritual quest, nor a religious endeavor. I was eating primally, in conjunction with practicing intermittent fasting on a daily basis, prior to, and immediately after the completion of my fast. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I have never felt so good as I did during that 20 day period.

I am about to commence in another water fast tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with fasting for extended periods of time, and what they have seen as the benefits and/or side effects from doing such.

My first fast, I saw a great improvement in my mental clarity, a very serene, calmness in my mood, and a complete disappearance to my ever so often bouts of depression. I hope to experience all of this again, however, I would like to sustain the aforementioned benefits for a greater length than my previous fast offered.

If anyone has any questions concerning my first fasting experience, I'd be happy to go more into detail.

I would enjoy documenting my day to day experiences if there is any interest here on the boards.

Thanks!

Max

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Longest I have done is seven days. It was part of a fast my church was doing. It certainly helped me focus and clear my mind, but that was my intention in doing the fast. It also was a great way to stress discipline and that my stomach is not in control of me.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Never thought about doing a veggie juice fast? From what ive read gives almost same effect but quite a lot safer and will help dealing with all toxins getting released.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    I've wanted to try an extended fast, but parting with heavy lifting sessions makes me a little sad inside. ;-) Isn't it reccomended that you only do easy exercise? If my push-up count goes down by the end of the week, I'd be very upset!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    I've wanted to try an extended fast, but parting with heavy lifting sessions makes me a little sad inside. ;-) Isn't it reccomended that you only do easy exercise? If my push-up count goes down by the end of the week, I'd be very upset!
    Yeah, can you tell us more about what exercise was like say after day 3, day 10, day 15, etc? Duration, intensity, style?

I’ve no interest in doing this, but I wonder if the body would respond well to exercise in those conditions.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I climbed to the top of a mountain on day 7 of a veg juice fast. It was a small one but I managed it easier than I normally would. When I juice fast i only consume small amounts of veg juice, maybe three glasses a day.

mm84321 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yeah, can you tell us more about what exercise was like say after day 3, day 10, day 15, etc? Duration, intensity, style?

I’ve no interest in doing this, but I wonder if the body would respond well to exercise in those conditions.
    During my previous 20 day fast I was able to do moderate levels of cardio, such as walking and hiking. I did virtually no exercise the first 2 days, as those are usually the worst days of the entire process. After day 3, however, I did have the energy to climb mountains and occasionally sprint after my dog who I'd always take a long with me, and who would always be going at a faster pace than me, haha. I just had to be careful because I would sometimes overextend myself and feel pretty exhausted afterwards. I found only about 2 or 3 days during the fast where I had no energy whatsoever and could only sit and read in bed the whole day.

Surprisingly, at about day 15 my energy levels became very constant and I even experienced what I would call enhanced energy. It was in these last 5 days that I felt the best.
    Last edited by mm84321; 01-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Yeah, yeah.

Used to fast all the time. Water, juice, water+vitamins, water+herbs. 3 days, 7 days, 14 days. 21 days water+lemon, then 7 days green veggie juices, then another 21 days...etc. blah blah.

"mental clarity" "energy".... HORSEPOO!

Sure maybe I over did it, but combined with raw foods my metabolism went straight to hell.

I wasn't even that crazy about IFing when I first got here after all that crap I did.

Whatever, good luck, hope you see the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whatever... *yawn*

I can see fasting for a couple of days, but I have trouble believing that fasting long-term isn't bad for you.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Yeah, yeah.

Used to fast all the time. Water, juice, water+vitamins, water+herbs. 3 days, 7 days, 14 days. 21 days water+lemon, then 7 days green veggie juices, then another 21 days...etc. blah blah.

"mental clarity" "energy".... HORSEPOO!

Sure maybe I over did it, but combined with raw foods my metabolism went straight to hell.

I wasn't even that crazy about IFing when I first got here after all that crap I did.

Whatever, good luck, hope you see the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whatever... *yawn*
    Were you bullied at school or do you just have an incredibly small penis? Just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast