Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whine, whine: I'm still sick . . . page

entwyf is offline Senior Member

Whine, whine: I'm still sick . . .

Shop Now
    I was sick with what I would call some version of croup when I took the Primal plunge on November 3, 2010.

On and off, for the next two and a half weeks, I felt bad, stayed home, got better, went to work, felt bad, stayed home . . . the best part of the experience was discovering what wonderful, comforting soup you can make with sardines and collard greens. Once during that time I had two pieces of pizza with friends. Otherwise, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, veggies, fruit, butter, and some heavy cream in tea.

Eventually, the green snot stopped pouring forth, I stopped baying like a bloodhound.

I have been coughing on and off since before Thanksgiving, due mostly to the fact that they've really cranked up the heat where I work, and the air is very dry.. A humidifier by my desk has helped me.

The week of Christmas, I coughed and had a runny nose.

Since Christmas, ditto. Yesterday and today, I've had a runny nose, sneezing, and a cough producing a small amount of clear goo.

I am up to my eyeballs with water, tea, and soup. I've gone the peppermint and licorice route. I've gone the cayenne pepper and garlic route. I've used my Neti pot. I've done the towel draped over a pan of steaming water route. I've been pretty good about avoiding grains, sugar, junk food, blah, blah, blah. I have had way too many Ricola cough drops with aspartame, I will admit.

I have tried to get enough sleep. That may be my weak spot.

Oh, and I am also taking Vitamin D3 (6,000 units a day), Vitamin C (1500 mg a day), Calcium (1800 mg a day), and Vitamin B complex (don't remember how much).

And also, I use a CPAP machine, but I have been doing without since Christmas and sleeping propped up until my nasal passages stop doing whatever. (So far, so good.)

I'm tired of coughing and blowing my nose. I'm tired of sounding like Tallulah Bankhead when I talk.

I have read glowing testimonies about vibrant good health with the Primal way of life. I will say I have had a wonderful number of days in the past two months when I have felt very energetic and focused; mostly though, I have felt tired and drippy and frustrated.

Any suggestions? I really would like not to have to go to the doctor's office. I just want to get rid of whatever is whacking me in the face.

Thanks,
    Edith

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    You may have a nasal infection, or your cough could have developed into bronchitis or a chest infection...

GO TO THE DOCTOR! You've been sick for too long to think this is just going to clear up on it's own.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    You may have a nasal infection, or your cough could have developed into bronchitis or a chest infection...

GO TO THE DOCTOR! You've been sick for too long to think this is just going to clear up on it's own.
    Yes , please do. Bronchial infections are nothing to screw around with.

Of course serious infection is nothing to screw around with. I am definitely in favor of Conventional Wisdom and modern medicine when absolutely needed.

But if Primal Wisdom IS the superior way to eat and live, is there nothing in it that is sufficient to address this issue? Is trying to address an illness with the opposite of Conventional Wisdom "screwing around"?

"Oh, yeah, Primal is good, except when it isn't. Conventional Wisdom is bad, except when it isn't."

Doesn't sound too much like commitment and confidence.

Sorry. I know there's no such thing as a panacea, but I have been too often royally screwed by the doctor's office.

Edith

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I hear you on the docs!
    NO grains or sugar or alcohol. Period.
    Definitely get some good sleep. 9-10 hours/night may be what you need to kick this.
    I also do the Hydrogen Peroxide trick. 3 drops (3%) in your ear, let bubble for 5 min, switch ears. Works well for me.
    Tap on your thymus gland (the center of your sternum) to stimulate T-cells.
    You are taking an awful lot of calcium. Maybe too much. No expert here, but if your D blood level is sufficient (have you tested?) you don't need as much calcium. You also need Magnesium--check the Vitamin D thread on this site for more info...

I have to apologize for posting yesterday while deranged. I feel marginally better today.

Since the beginning of November, I've been dealing with a snarl of physical symptoms that have similarities but different origins, and the fact that they all are doing a number on my nose, sinuses, throat . . . AAAaargh!

Bad bug at the start of November--survived thanks to sardine and collard green soup. No more green snot.

Nasal congestion due to use of CPAP machine--appointment made a month ago for next week.

Drippy, constantly drippy nose, sneezing, and coughing--happens mostly when I am at work, a place where I'm convinced the humidity is under thirty percent, and the dust that blows around is never addressed by the cleaning crew. My desk is near one of four air return vents, and until a couple of weeks ago (when I cleaned it), it was black with grime.

Based on a subjective self-assessment and review of information about it, I don't have bronchitis. The most annoying thing is the drippy nose which leads to mouth breathing which leads to coughing which leads to feeling tired.

I read some where a looooong time ago that if one is making changes in favor of health, some things that have not been a problem become a problem because the body is more responsive, much less bogged down in trying to deal with crap.

Not to minimize symptoms, but if what I'm going through is a sign that my immune system is trying hard to kick bug ass, that's of course a good thing. Right now it just feels like it's kicking my ass just a bit too much.

I have been taking Vitamin D for some time, but over the holidays I haven't been consistent with that.

I so need more sleep. If I get to bed soon, I can probably get eight hours.

I know that this too will pass. I hope that on the other side there will be benefits to riding this out without benefit of NyQuil.

Edith

Could it possibly be an allergy? I know my mom dealt with what seemed like a non stop drippy stuffed coughish weirdness and it turned out to be allergies. She was able to treat it holistically.
    -John Lennon

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Funny thing those abx. They actually save lives sometimes And prevent sinus infection inflammation and scar tissue from causing permanent structural damage to the sinuses. And can, on rare occasion, stop a sinus infection or ear infection from traveling to the brain and killing a person. Or causing permanent kidney damage from untreated UTIs. Or stop pneumonia from killing....oh yeah...me.

It seems reasonable to consider that after three weeks of all manner of stuff, abx *might* be in order. Maybe not if it really isn't an infection but it is worth considering.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Funny thing those abx. They actually save lives sometimes And prevent sinus infection inflammation and scar tissue from causing permanent structural damage to the sinuses. And can, on rare occasion, stop a sinus infection or ear infection from traveling to the brain and killing a person. Or causing permanent kidney damage from untreated UTIs. Or stop pneumonia from killing....oh yeah...me.

It seems reasonable to consider that after three weeks of all manner of stuff, abx *might* be in order. Maybe not if it really isn't an infection but it is worth considering.
    +1 I erased my comment two or three times and then decided it wasn't worth it, but this was what I was going to say, albeit much less eloquently.
    -John Lennon

Yes, antibiotics are amazing things. Two examples of what they have done in my life revolve around cats. A number of years ago, one of my cats, for some god-forsaken reason, raked the bottom of my foot with his claws, and the marks started to look not happy. A ten-day course of antibiotics kept my foot from getting infected.

Another cat got an abscessed tooth and turned into a miserable lump hiding in the bottom of my closet. Because she was old, I had to shell out 800 dollars for special X, Y, and Z, including antibiotics. But it was amazing how alert and energetic she was when she came back from the vet.

In my case, I don't think antibiotics are necessary for wht ails me at this point.

The good news is that, today, my nose is no longer dripping. I can breathe again without it hurting from the tip of my nose to the back of my head. I sound almost normal, not like a Tallulah Bankhead impersonator. What's more important, I can think clearly again.

The two things that have helped quite a lot are hot showers and the suggestion I read somewhere about putting cayenne pepper in a glass of water and drinking it slowly.

The biggest problem I have right now is that I work in an office that is excruciatingly dry. My nose is dry, my mouth is dry, my eyes are dry, my skin is dry . . . I can easily drink half a gallon of water and still feel like everything is shriveling up. (I shudder to think what is happening to the mucous membranes in my body.) I have a standard room humidifier right on the corner of my desk, and its effect is marginal.

The HVAC is old and clunky and blows dust-laden air around. Viruses, bacteria, allergy-promoting particles . . . I'm sure that they are all swirling in an invisible maelstrom around my desk.

The irony is that the building I work in has been promoted by the powers that be as a "green building" because somebody spruced up the outside of the building in some PC way.

I think what this situation has shown me is that living primally may mean that a properly functioning immune system becomes more, not less, sensitive to things that can cause illness.

Since Monday, I have been without Nyquil, Benadryl, Delsym, ibuprofen, or rum, things I have used in the past to make things go away as fast as possible. I have had one unhappy body. Things haven't just gone away after a weekend of sleeping, taking ibuprofen, and eating lots of oatmeal with butter and brown sugar.

It's going to take some effort on my part to address some problem issues that have come to my attention in the past two months, especially things in my environment that seem to be causing problems.

It's not the walk on the beach experience I thought I was going to get, but it shows me I'm not snoozing through daily life the way I used to be. That's something good.

Edith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast