Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Welshcaveman) page

Welshcaveman is offline Junior Member

I'm not even sure how I stumbled onto this website - I wasn't specifically looking for a diet or anything - but for the past 4 days straight, I don't think I've been on any site but this one! It's a bit cliche but it feels like this would "fit"(?)

Bid farewell to pizzas and cookies last night, woke up, weighed myself, kicked myself, and then tucked into a primal breakfast.

I have very recently called time on playing rugby after a couple of knee injuries, and have turned to throwing at the ripe old age of 28 as my new sport. Doesn't get much more primal than throwing, does it?!

Specifically, for the next 30 days my goals are to lose 5-10lbs. Longer term, I'd like to drop around 20-30lbs so I can look good nekkid and get stronger and faster so I can throw hammer, discus, shot and javelin further than my friend who started training a few months ago and outweighs me by around 100lbs.

Exercise plan is to lift a few times a week (all strength/power stuff), throw a couple of times, do some slow stuff most days for 30-60 minutes, and throw in a couple of Litvi Sprints every few days. Not sure on exact schedule until I get confirmation of throwing practice days for off-season, so I'll wing it for now.

DAY 1

Wt - 199.5lbs (I'm only 5'3" so this is not a good look!)

FOOD

-3 egg omlette with a few shiitake mushrooms

-big ass salad made of spinach, rocket, avocado, tomato, peppers and 6oz lean roast pork loin with olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing

- picked at 12oz roast pork loin before and after my workout, with 150g blackberries.

FITDAY said:

Calories 2,173

168g protein

51g carbs

146g fat

WORKOUT

Overhead Squats

1x5 @ 20kg

1x5 @ 40kg

2x5 @ 47.5kg

Power Clean

1x5 @ 70kg

1x5 @ 75kg

1x5 @ 80kg

Front Squat

1x5 @ 60kg

1x5 @ 70kg

1x5 @ 80kg

Romanian Deadlift

1x5 @ 105kg

1x5 @ 110kg

1x5 @ 115kg

Barbell Twists

3x5 (each side) @ 40kg

Medicine Ball Hammer throws

3x5 (each side) @ 10kg

40 mins x-trainer, hill program, lvl 13

NOTES

- good first day I think, felt hungry before lunch and again before getting in from work but I ate a salad for the first time in a looong time... this time I liked it!

- workout was ok, all weights felt pretty comfortable so will up them a bit next time out.

See you tomorrow

DAY 2

Wt - 196.5lbs (-3lbs)

Food

-3 egg omlette with a few shiitake mushrooms

-big ass salad made of spinach, rocket, avocado, tomato, peppers and 6oz lean roast pork loin with olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing

-roast chicken breast and leg (skin eaten!)

-150g blackberries

2,099kcals

140g fat

52g carbs

163g protein

NOTES

-3lbs is a nice start but obviously was just water. I'll adjust my target to being sub 190lbs by day 30 with fingers crossed for 188lbs.

-made myself a really nice ratatouille for tomorrow to have with left over chicken

gt74 is offline Member

Welcome to the party, Welshcaveman. There's a couple of UK bods beginning to make an appearance.

I found taking a photo each monday morning and seeing the changes over the weeks was a real boost especially when the scales were being economical with the truth.

Are you at Swansea uni?

Hi gt - thanks for the welcome!

I'm living in Ellesmere Port (near Liverpool) now and will be going to Keele to study - I would have loved to go back to Swansea but they don't do the course so for the next few years I'll be living here.

DAY 3

194lbs (-5.5lbs)

FOOD

-roast chicken, homemade ratatouille (1xaubergine, 2xcourgettes, 2xtomatoes, 1xyellow pepper, olive oil, white wine vinegar)

-2 tbsp peanut butter

-6oz roast pork

-150g blueberries

Fitday

2,029kcals

121g fat

94g carbs

151g protein

EXERCISE

40-60 mins exercise bike (wasn't paying attention to the clock!)

NOTES

- I know this is water loss (you can't lose 5.5lbs in 3 days surely!) but it still feels good. My face looks leaner and, bizarrely, my eyes seem brighter!? - probably because I've eaten more fruit and veg in the last 3 days than I have in the last 3 months (I'm not kidding). Hell, if I had a furry coat it'd be shining about now!

-diet was good today but I went a bit higher than I wanted on the carbs. I know 50-100g is the "sweet spot" so was still in the right area, but I wanted to keep to nearer 50g or below to begin to really kick start it. I liked the ratatouille but will not bother with the aubergine again: it tasted average and I'd rather chuck in an onion and extra courgettes at a fraction of the carb/calorie "cost".

-I probably could have lifted again today but just had a degree of stiffness and I know that an extra day will allow me to hit it all the harder tomorrow. Just did some exercise bike while my dinner roasted instead.

Hoping for some more low numbers tomorrow but think I have probably bottomed out on water-loss so the drop should slow considerably now.

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday!

DAY 4

Wt - 193.5lbs

FOOD

-2xsausage, 1xegg, 2xblack pudding, 100g baked beans, 1.5slices toast with butter

-6oz roast pork with courgettes, peppers, tomatoes

-6oz roast pork with 3 eggs

Fitday

2,172kcals

150g fat

63g carbs

143g protein

EXERCISE

none

NOTES

-It was my last day at work yesterday before heading off to uni so I got a free breakfast which meant I had to reshuffle a couple of other things to keep my calories/carbs low enough but I think I managed ok.

-another 0.5lbs was a nice surprise as I felt a bit bloated when I woke up.

-Didn't hit the gym or do any slow stuff: as soon as I got in I went for a nap that lasted until 10pm! Will go to the gym and do a bit of x-trainer after today.

DAY 5

Wt - 193.5lbs (-6lbs)

FOOD

-4 eggs, 75g blueberries, 6oz roasted pork shoulder

-6oz roasted pork shoulder, spinach and rocket salad

-6oz roasted pork shoulder, 75g blueberries

Fitday

1,907kcals

133g fat

29g carbs

145g protein

EXERCISE

Overhead Squats

1x5 @ 20kg

1x5 @ 40kg

1x5 @ 50kg

Power Clean

1x5 @ 70kg

1x5 @ 80kg

1x2 @ 85kg

1X3 @ 85kg

Front Squat

1x5 @ 70kg

1x5 @ 80kg

1x5 @ 90kg

Romanian Deadlift

1x5 @ 105kg

1x5 @ 115kg

1x2 @ 120kg

Barbell Twists

3x5 (each side) @ 40kg

Medicine Ball Hammer throws

3x5 (each side) @ 10kg

NOTES

-no weight loss today and felt a little bit sluggish. I didn't do the x-trainer after lifting, I just didn't have it in me.

-pork shoulder is fattier than neck loin... and therefore much tastier!

-training was actually ok despite feeling a bit lacklustre towards the end. Only going to up the overheads and front squats by 2.5kg next time. The rest can probably stay where it is - power cleans were weird, the first 2 flew up but then I hit a wall, rested a couple of minutes and the next 3 were solid too. Will go for a good long walk tomorrow with the dog.

DAY 6

Wt - 192.5lbs (-7lbs)

FOOD

-4oz roast pork shoulder, 75g blackberries

-5 eggs, 1/2 onion omlette, 75g blackberries

-12oz bbq'd leg of lamb, 10 sprouts, 2 tbsp olive oil

Fitday

1,903kcals

119g fat

50g carbs

158g protein

EXERCISE

-walked around a big shopping village to find some proper walking boots (decided to give this outdoors stuff a try), probably a mile all told.

-got lost for an hour and a bit in a forest with my dog. Not difficult terrain but did involve climbing over fallen trees in places.

NOTES

-Happy to see another lb fall off overnight! This is the lightest I have been in about 3 years (I was all the way up to 210lbs in January following knee surgery to fix my ACL which had kept me relatively inactive for 2 years). So, in total 17.5lbs lost, 7lbs while following the guidelines of this website.

-Despite my happiness with the results, today was mentally the hardest by a looooong way. Been trying to talk myself into eating pizza as a reward for dropping the weight and I do want to have the odd cheat meal, but ON MY TERMS. I am still struggling with the urge now (about to tuck into the lamb) but have drawn a line in the sand that any "cheat" meal will be scheduled ahead of time by ME... not by that little voice on my shoulder whenever he senses weakness! On that note, I hereby declare that a no holds barred cheat meal does await, when I break the 190lb barrier (please God, be soon!).

-Enjoyed the walk, never out of breath but did get a healthy sheen of sweat on me (while the dog got a healthy sheen of mud all over her - she misjudged a little brook we jumped). Need to make this walking outdoors business more of a fixture. Good for me and good for the dog.

DAY 7

Wt - 192.5lbs (-7lbs)

FOOD

-eggs, sausages, more sausages, onion, yellow pepper, courgettes, blackberries.

EXERCISE

-2 mile walk

NOTES

-no weight loss today but instead a sense of pride that I had beaten the temptations yesterday... I had them again today but the sausages sorted them out (see below).

FOR THE LOVE OF SAUSAGES

I've always been under the impression that sausages were just a no-no for dieting full stop - must be that CW that gets mentioned a lot around here.

Then, while trying to talk myself out of going for a Burger King today, I reasoned that they were normally a no-no because of high sat fat levels... my understanding (book now on order so I may be wrong!) is that this isn't such a concern... ah, thinks I, but what about that "what goes into a sausage?" I watched a while ago.. I'm sure it concluded that generally sausages were made out of willy's and eyelids. My local butcher is meant to have good sausages so I thought I'd drive down and see him;

Then I thought again. He's a mile away... I'll walk!! Long story short, he uses pork and that's it (no nasty fillers/water etc), is cheaper than the supermarket muck, and also has rabbit!! So, I walked a mile to the butchers, picked up 2 rabbits, 1 chicken, a dozen sausages, 2 cumberland sausage rings along with a dozen of the biggest eggs I've seen, and carried it a mile home. I now have a source of relatively cheap rabbit, free range chicken, sausauges and whatever meaty delights I fancy... plus it's a couple of miles I would NEVER normally walk.

-Next Monday I start university and I think this is going to have a pretty big impact on my activity level! During the day for the past 3 years I've been sat on my arse staring at a computer screen. Soon, I'll be walking around campus with my books, having relatively active classes and my brain will be a lot more engaged. Additionally, I will be walking to and from the train station 5 days a week. This is an extra 3 miles a day, and based on a 31 week academic year, will increase my annual mileage by 465miles! Throw in a few days of heavy lifting/sprinting and an hour or so of javelin/shot/hammer/discus a week and I'll be genuinely active!

Speaking of which, I need to reduce my lifting sessions. I was definitely flagging by the end of the last one, and I think the idea is to up intensity and lower time, so will be working on a new split tonight to start tomorrow. Any ideas will be welcome (I'm doing purely power based stuff for throwing, so compound lifts, emphasis on hip extension... can start doing chest again now as shoulder seems to have forgiven me for using a machine for heavy benching!)

2,160 159.1 41.0 143.1

DAY 8

Wt - 192.5lbs (-7lbs)

FOOD

-eggs, bit of cheese, onion, rabbit, sausages, blackberries,

Fitday

1,868kcals

128.5g fat

33.5g carbs

141.5g protein

EXERCISE

Walked about a mile

Overhead Squats

1x5 @ 30kg

1x5 @ 40kg

1x5 @ 52.5kg

Power Clean

1x3 @ 75kg

1x3 @ 85kg

1x2 @ 90kg

1x1 @ 90kg

Front Squats

1x5 @ 60kg

1x5 @ 82.5kg

1x5 @ 92.5kg

Chins with weight hanging from waist

3x5 @ +10kg

Barbell Twists

3x5 @ 40kg (each side)

NOTES

-No mvmt on losing the power belly today. Hoping for better luck tomorrrow. 190lbs is such a milestone for me (would be lowest wt since summer of 06, and I think I've got more muscle now).

-Food was fine. Now that I sit and write about it... I realise I didn't have a single craving today! Result. Still want a pizza, but didn't feel the need for one.

-Training was ok. I've shaved 6 sets off and it made a difference. I'll alternate front squats with RDL's and weighted chins with bench, and power cleans with power snatches from here on and see how it goes.

Overheads and fronts were ok, but front squats are getting near my current max I think - up both by 2.5kg again next time and see what happens.

Clean was frustrating. Have dropped the reps so I can focus more on intensity but my damn grip is limiting the pull. Need to start doing some grip work.

Major result with the chins. In February, I couldn't do 2 proper chins - now I'm banging out full ROM chins with 10kg hanging between my legs (stop sniggering at the back).

Twists were good - felt really explosive (but controlled). Keep this weight for now but start upping slowly in a few weeks.

Fingers crossed for weight loss in the morning!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

DAY 9

Wt - 192lbs (-7.5lbs)

FOOD

-onion and cheese omlette, blackberries, BIG rabbit and sausage casserole with streaky bacon, zucchini, onion, mushroom and tomatoes.

Fitday

2,082kcals

126g fat

62.5g carbs

180g protein

EXERCISE

-45 minute dog walk in forest, more hilly than last time. At the end I paced out a little race-course of about 30 metres, featuring tree stumps/roots, ditches, puddles and a wicked incline for the last 10m... raced the dog to the top, walked back and repeated for 5 goes. The little bugger didn't let me win once.

NOTES

-At last!! Have broken the 192.5lb mark! Only half pound lost but on a day to day basis that's all you can hope for. Another pound by the weekend would do me fine!

-Casserole is simmering away as I type and mouth is watering!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast