FOOD

-dougnnuts, pizza, dorritos.

Fitday

not pretty

EXERCISE

-nothing

NOTES

-Why the hell do I do this to myself?

I decided to have a cheat day in advance so I could enjoy some foods without feeling bad... I ate some foods... and feel like absolute crap! I crashed for an hour after eating the pizza and when I woke up, I felt hung over. Few hours later and I'm still fuzzy headed, bloated and my eyes hurt.

-Not plannning a cheat day next week.

-From here on, I think I'm "adapted"/"habituated" or whatever enough that when I really need to (either mad craving or situation requires it), I can have a cheat meal without worrying that I'll want to continue munching on crap. Today I sort of forced myself to cheat, so it's not like I feel "shit but satisfied"... I just feel shit.

-Going to lift tomorrow and take a walk, weather permitting, and will be hitting the meat hard again. Ironically, I'm craving steak.

-butchers eyes lit up when he saw me today - I think I'm keeping him afloat during the recession! I probably over-ordered on meat for the week, but am all set to eat rump steak 5 days, big-ass ham steaks (gammon we call them) 2 days, in addition to sausages, burgers, rabbit, bacon, egg etc. He gave me a bit more info on what was in the sausage and burgers and basically they have "enough fat to make them fun" but no additives or crap like that. He minces up decent pork, throws in a bit of pepper and for one type of sausage a bit of garlic, sticks it through the sausage skins and voila! A meaty sausage.

The next time I mention a cheat day, someone slap me in the face with a bloody steak.

Welshcaveman is offline Junior Member

DAY 20

Wt - didn't look

FOOD

-cheese and onion omlette, bacon, sausage, pork burger, steak...

Fitday

2,035kcals

155g fat

10g carbs

146g protein

EXERCISE

Bench Press

10x3 @ 100kg

Dbell Flyes

4x6 @ 25kg(x2)

Deadlift

10x3 @ 120kg

Chins

4x6 @ BW+7.5kg

NOTES

-woke up feeling groggy and stomach was "loose". Not been feeling well all day but feel my colour returning as I can smell the various meats about to go on the BBQ.

-Interestingly, I woke up in the middle of the night and had a mad craving for eggs. It wasn't the sort of "oh, I fancy some eggs in the morning", it was more "get up, make eggs, and we'll say no more about that ridiculous pizza episode yesterday". So I obeyed.

-Exercise was good - mixing the lifts up a bit now, having to work out a program that will fit with my new gym at uni, which I'll join this week. Switched reps on their heads a bit, going for 10 sets of 3 reps. It means I lifted a lot more intensely and a lot more weight than I would have with 3x10 and I really like it. I will feel this tomorrow!

Major lesson learned this weekend. Don't cheat for the sake of cheating. There will be times when I fancy some pizza or a cake and, dammit, I'll eat it. But I won't do it just because it's Saturday.

I must away. Somewhere, meat is sizzling.

DAY 21

Wt - still bloated this morning, didn't look.

FOOD

-cheese and onion omlette, bacon, gammon, burger, sausage.

Fitday

2,346kcals

183g fat

11.5g carbs

160g protein

EXERCISE

-walked a mile or so

NOTES

-Well, the 10x3 worked. Chest is sore, front delts are sore, and got really nice deep soreness (good soreness) in middle of back. 10x3 is here to stay! Will roll it out on thighs and maybe biceps (its meant for compounds but I'll see if its any good on poser muscles).

-still felt bloated so didn't bother weighing. It would only demotivate me. Only this evening am I feeling recovered from the carb-up so will tread carefully next time.

-off to bed, got to be up at 5am tomorrow to walk to the train station. Cold too so some kcals being burnt in am!

DAY 22

Wt - 190.5lbs (-9lbs but +2lbs)

FOOD

-Gammon, bacon, sausage, egg, cheese, onion

Fitday

2,289kcals

175g fat

12g carbs

162g protein

EXERCISE

Walked a mile or two.

Front Squats

10x3 @ 80kg

Barbell Curl

10x3 @ 42.5kg

Overhead triceps extension (cable)

4x6 @ 65kg

Shrugs

4x6 @ 100kg

NOTES

-Well, I had the weight spike coming after Saturday, but I did think it would have gone by now? Feeling firmer towards the end of today so hopefully will be back into good territory tomorrow or Thursday.

-Food was, as always, simple and delicious.

-Training was good - really enjoying the 10x3 rep scheme. You get intensity and the pump so best of both worlds.

DAY 23

Wt - 192.5lbs (-7lbs but + another 2lbs)

FOOD

egg, cheese, steak, sausage

Fitday

1,734kcals

131g fat

7g carbs

128g protein

EXERCISE

-walked around campus, prob logged around 2.5 miles.

NOTES

-Not sure WHAT is going on with the weight. Had a think and only thing that has changed since my weight was going down is the introduction of gammon and bacon. Not sure if cured meat have an adverse effect on something I don't understand yet but will cut them out for rest of the week to see if it makes a difference. Have also reigned the calories back to nearer 1800. Of course, it could be a continued reaction to the pizza and dougnuts but I thought I'df be over that by now. Certainly noticed my jaw looking softer this morning....

-muscles feeling good and sore today; may or may not have a weight workout tomorrow, if I don't I'll walk on the treadmill or do some light cardio for an hour in addition to the walking.

-no cravings at all since the splurge on Saturday, which is a welcome relief because carbs seem to open the door to more carb cravings for a day or so after. No cravings, but plenty of weight gain!

I did have a thought - and I'm not sure if this is an original one (in fact I'm sure it's not) - so forgive me if I'm stating the blindingly obvious (or blindingly obviously wrong).... at this stage I'm confident I am "fat-adapted" by which I mean my body is favouring fats as a source of energy (it has no choice, my carbs are always sub 20g). To give the fat loss a kick in the ass, I thought that having a very lean day - whereby I still take in protein, no carbs but reduce fat to as low as possible (ie; only fat ingested as a by-product to getting adequate protein), it may get my body to burn some of the bodyfat in the place of dietary fat? I've been meaning to read some of these IF threads and will do so tonight as this may well be a similar mechanism - this is prob a "duh... use the search" post but I'm just thinking out loud!

DAY 24

Wt - 188.5lbs (-11lbs: I'm BACK, baby!)

FOOD

cheese and onion omlette, sausage, big-ass steak.

Fitday

2,002kcals

150g fat

11g carbs

148g protein

EXERCISE

walked around 1.5-2miles, carrying a moderately heavy bag (gym gear and couple books).

NOTES

-Not sure what happened with my weight spike but have returned to where I was last week. Not sure if it was a major hangover from the carb-fest on Saturday or if it was that combined with a couple of days of cured ham but so long as its off I don't care.

-went a whole day clean of Coke Zero on Tuesday...crashed and burned yesterday and today having 3 500ml bottles. Still, this is about half my usual daily intake!

-decided against lifting today: muscles recovered enough to do it but felt an extra day would allow for a more intense workout.

-loving the physiotherapy course, and the whole eat big but only twice helps with my time during the day.

Also, trying a slight tweak from tomorrow: my calories are pretty evening-heavy - just over 2/3 in the evening. I hadn't even noticed this! I'll switch it to around 50/50 and play with it from there.

DAY 25

Wt - 187lbs (-12.5lbs)

FOOD

-cheese omlette, steak, more steak. Bit more steak.

Fitday

2,160kcals

152g fat

3.8g carbs

183g protein

EXERCISE

Walk about 1.5-2 miles with heavier than normal bag.

Bench Press

10x3 @ 105kg

Flyes

4x6 @ 28kg(x2)

Deadlift

10x3 @ 120kg

Bent Over row

4x6 @ 75kg

NOTES

-Major result on the weight loss. Not sure what the hell happened: had a delayed reaction weight spike earlier this week, presumably because of the carb overload on Saturday, and then suddenly drop back down to previousn weight yesterday and another 1.5lbs today? I don't understand the mechanics of what happened, but I like the results.

-Lifting was good and felt strong so confident weight loss is predominantly fat.

-Bench was solid: the first 5 sets feel tough but then the second half feels easier. Up to 107.5kg next time.

-Flyes were also good. Up to 30kg next time but keep there for a while. My main concern is to get the bench up. When the bench sticks, start increasing the flyes and try to progress that way.

-Deadlifts were strong, but should have increased the weight. 125kg next time.

-Bent-overs were strong but felt it in lower back. Could have gone heavier if I hadn't deadlifted moments earlier. Need to sort a good split out for next week.

Overall, awesome day: got to eat a LOT of steak, finished the week 1.5lbs down on last week and lifts going in the right direction.

LA
    LA is offline Junior Member

Congratulations WCM! 12.5lbs in less than a month is a wonderful accomplishment. It looks like you are doing a great job keeping your diet in line, so don't be too hard on yourself next time you cheat

Thanks for all the support you have given me. Yesterday I felt really down after my horrible headache, but reading your post made me feel much better.

There is a girl who is training with me and is trying to lose 150lbs. I am using your journey as proof to her that it is all about the diet and the determination to make changes to your lifestyle. You are an inspiration!

Thanks very much, LA - I have been called many things, but never an inspiration!

The best of luck to your friend - have you got her going PB yet or is she taking some convincing? I spent years losing (and gaining) the same 10-15lbs, mainly because my method was the traditional low fat, low calories and an hour a day cardio which just isn't something you (or atleast, I) can keep up indefinitely.

I'd be 210lbs, drop to 200lbs pretty quickly... crawl to 195lbs then whoomph! Back up to 200lbs+. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Part of why this low carb deal works is because hunger is a non-issue and because the effect is rapid. Success breeds success: I had a taste for doughnuts last night... I pacified myself with 24oz of steak and 6oz bacon instead... despite eating "too much" (I really did gorge myself!) another 1lb was lost over-night!

In terms of the training for your friend, I'd say PB fits the bill perfectly. Being heavy, pounding the treadmill won't be particularly good for her joints and going at moderate or high intensity on the stepper/crosstrainer/whatever won't be comfortable and therefore not something she'll want to keep doing at this stage.

The slow, steady activity is ideal - walk to places within a mile or so radius that you would normally drive to, don't not bother getting somthing until later because it's upstairs (get it now), and generally just move more.

Aerobics classes/boxercise etc are not necessary to lose weight (particularly to begin with)... they should be viewed as fun activities you can do WHEN you've lost some weight (and maybe to help with the last awkward 5-10lbs), in my opinion.

Maybe a 10-20 minute walk on the treadmill or outside after a weight session would be a good place for her to start? - I think that after a good weights session, you've used up most of your glycogen stores and so you'll tend to burn more fat in cardio immediately afterwards.

Thanks for your support LA, and well done on finishing week 1!

PrimalCon New York

DAY 26

Wt - 186lbs (-13.5lbs)

FOOD

Going to have a relatively relaxed day... not going nuts but will see what the day brings.

EXERCISE

Nothing formal, but a walk to the butchers (2 mile round trip) and a day to be spent pulling up my carpets and laminate flooring, lugging it to the car, multiple trips to the dump and lugging crap from car to disposal skips. Will burn a lot of calories!

NOTES

-I ate 24oz of steak last night, and 6oz bacon... I did this because I had an urge to "cheat" but didn't really want to... it hadn't been a full week since my last naughty meal and, as I said previously, it's important that any cheats are on my terms: not just because the carb-monster tapped me on the shoulder and smiled when I walk past a pastry shop. I did, however, want to make sure I didn't feel tempted to make a trip to the shop to get something so I overfed on the good stuff. The result? I'm still in control, and I lost another 1lb!

-My mum is coming to visit from next Tuesday, and I'm hoping that a) she'll notice the 13.5lbs; b) she'll take pity on me and buy me some new jeans because mine keep falling down!

-The ultimate goal for me going forward is for Xmas. Last Xmas, I'd just had my knee surgery and was sitting at a very soft 210lbs... We have all the family get together for New Years and its the only time in the year we'll see most of them. If I can get to 175lbs by then, there's no way they won't notice?! I will have lost 35lbs of weight and probably more in fat (my operated leg has visibly more muscle mass now, and I can do 5 chins with 10kg weight hanging from my waist - compared with 3 with no resistance in January - plus my 3RM for bench is now 120kg+, compared with 100kg in January so a couple of pounds of muscle MUST have been added).

I'm hoping that 35lbs+ lost on a 5'3" guy will make for a striking difference!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast