Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control? page

MrsToon is offline Senior Member

Birth Control?

Primal Fuel
    I've been on the pill for a good seven years now. I am sick to death of having to remember a pill at the same time every day, and am considering something like the IUD. Was wondering what insights y'all might have regarding birth control in general, and whether certain kinds go better with Primal living. I am not willing to do NFP, as that seems like even more work and hassle than the pill. Any Grokettes out there with an IUD? Thanks for any info!

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    There are indeed some. Hang in there.

Condoms?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm on depo. Have been for 10 years or so now. I'd recently started looking into IUDs and decided against it. Mirena is just like depo only the progestin is localized rather than injected, which takes less time to leave your system if you want to get pregnant. Like depo, you may get silent periods. Paraguard, the copper IUD works by causing an inflammation response in your body. A lot of what I've read about it, you can end up with heavy bleeding or constant spotting. It didn't sound like a good time at all.

For now, I'm happy on depo until I decide to have kids. After that, I may do Mirena since it's easier on women who have had children versus those who haven't. I don't like having synthetic hormones in my body, but it beats the alternative, to me at least. I don't want to deal with periods and want birth control I really don't have to think about.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i'm sorry that I don't have more insight. we use a combination of NFP and condoms, and once it's learned, it's not that much effort (for us). i've been doing it for about 7-8 years now, so it's old hat. I don't even do the temps anymore, just the other two. i'm pretty reliable, so i'm not that worried about it, and we use a back up if we feel that it's "close to" something.

but, because we are unsure as to whether or not we want more children (both of us are leaning heavily toward just staying with one), we are loosely talking about sterilization. it would be DH who goes through it, and i am actually emotionally opposed to either of us being sterilized, but, like you, we don't really want to "think" about the birth control, we just want to have it. ah well.

decisions, decisions. i'm not comfortable with any chemical birth control, or an IUD, or sterilizing myself.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I had the Copper T for 5 years. LOVED it. Got pregnant (intentionally) the same day it was removed.

If I was doing it now, I'd go for the Mirena just for the chance of fewer/lighter periods (though mine weren't heavier than normal on the Copper T). Though my dermatologist just told me that a side effect is acne, which I'm prone to anyway.

Thankfully, I don't have to do anything now, because I'm using my very favorite form of contraception: a vasectomy
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Something to keep in mind if you choose to use an IUD and later decide to get pregnant--occasionally IUDs can create uterine scarring that can impede implantation of the fertilized egg or cervical scarring that can prevent the cervix from dilating without external intervention (evening primrose oil and/or manual cervical dilation.) In our small town of 10,000, I've already coached 2 women with cervical scarring that impacted their labors adversely.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    NFP isn't much work or hassle at all, and I find it very comforting. I don't trust other forms of BC, lol.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I had Mirena for several years and it was worry free and problem free for me. I'm surprised to hear that someone thinks it causes acne flares. I have had horrible problems with acne in the past and had no problems in that department. Progesterone usually helps acne I thought and since it's only local seems like it wouldn't make much difference either way. My periods were light and painless. At the time, I was looking for something that was very effective, not a lot of trouble and with a minimum of hormones and chemicals. It fit these criteria.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    This is why I have found MDA forums to be the very best ever! Thanks so much to everyone for your helpful replies. I feel much more prepared to talk with my new OBGYN.

Honestly, I am intrigued by NFP. I have been a little scared off by the temperatures, mucous charting, and other terminology. I am not a very organized person (working on it!), so the idea of having to track anything over months and years is daunting. However, I am nervy about doing questionable things to my body, ESPECIALLY my reproductive system. We absolutely want kids, perhaps in the next two years. Does Depo Provera wear off quickly once we start trying to conceive? The IUD scarring thing is pretty scary, and no-way am I puttng something into my body that is designed to cause inflammation. Thanks for the info on that, Diana Rentata!

Herbwife Mama, and Zoebird, do you have any favorite resources for NFP help? Does it work best when you have a very regular cycle? I went on the pill when I was 18, and have had regular cycles. That is, unless I mess it up by skipping a pill. I've been spotting for two weeks since missing a pill two weeks in a row. Now I'm just starting my scheduled period. I guess I should be taking an iron supplement to make up for blood loss?

Much obliged again for the helpful replies. Here's a resource for y'all:

http://www.divacup.com I am about to order one of these. In addition to being tired of the pill I am sick to death of tampons. This thing seems much more hassle free, and best of all: no TRASH.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do depo if you want kids within 2 years. I've heard several stories of it taking a long time to wear off.

My favorite book about fertility/birth control is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

I don't think you need to take iron just because of two weeks of spotting. Took me about 10 years of very heavy periods to finally get anemic.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast