Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important question: unsafe for carb-eaters to partake in saturated fats? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Important question: unsafe for carb-eaters to partake in saturated fats?

One thing I haven't gotten a good sense of is whether it's safe for people on a SAD diet to consume saturated fats like we Primal folk do. Yes, saturated fat is healthy and is burned off as fuel, but if I understand how the whole process works—and correct me if I'm wrong—people who are eating refined carbs on a daily basis will wind up having their insulin lock the saturated fat into fat cells for storage, thus making them fat.

Is this true? Should I not be telling SAD dieters to eat saturated fats, and tell them it's only advisable if they are not eating processed carbs?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    as i understand it, this is true for all fats, not just saturated fat. polyunsaturated fats are still inflammatory regardless.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Saturated fat is still healthy for all sorts of reasons and should be eaten whether one is on the SAD or not.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    The impact of excessive oxidation and inflamation is also a large issue with elevated cholesterol. Keep oxidation in check and you avoid those nasty clots.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    healthy foods are healthy no matter the diet

I'm not so sure it's that simple, guys. I have a feeling that someone with lots of insulin in their bloodstream would actually have saturated fat stored as fat, rather than burned off. In other words, while saturated fat may not clog their arteries (which we all know is BS), I think it might make someone on a SAD diet fat. I think the combination of saturated fat + processed carbs might be a bad one.

Anyone have any links or anything?

Why would saturated fats be worse than transfats or monounsaturated fats? In a typical SAD diet, people are still eating fats. If not saturated, what would you suggest?

I didn't say they were worse. And no, I think in a typical SAD diet, people are avoiding saturated fats.

I'll restate my theory again: in a healthy body, free of processed carbs & sugars where the insulin process is normal and healthy (Primal diet), I believe saturated fats enter the system and are used as fuel, NOT stored. However, I have a theory that in the body of someone who is eating sugars and processed carbs where there is an abundance of insulin often present in the bloodstream, saturated fats are ushered into storage by the insulin rather than burned off. I'm trying to find out if this is true or not.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't matter if it's true or not. If someone is producing excess insulin they're going to be fat regardless of what their fat intake is. Just because their body may store the saturated fat doesn't make it any worse than storing other forms of energy as fat. At least if they're eating saturated fat (and I'm assuming using it to replace polyunsaturates/trans fat) then they're going to be healthier.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Edited to say: Never mind. I think your theory sounds right on.
    Last edited by fitmom; 01-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast