Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite primal veggies? page

alireb is offline Member

Your favorite primal veggies?

Primal Fuel
    Right now mine are roasted brussel sprouts and roasted broccoli. I could eat my weight in both of these I'm looking for some other ideas though so chime in with your favorites!

geoffspakes is offline Member
    Do you just roast them in the oven? I've never tried roasting broccoli...I love it steamed with butter. What do you put on your brussel sprouts, I've tried them roasted and just find them rather bland.

Pluto is offline Junior Member
    Roasted cauliflower/squash
    Cabbage cooked with bacon
    Any frozen veg stir-fried in bacon fat
    Fried onions/garlic, dump in some canned tomatoes, serve over fish/chicken
    Pumpkin soup
    Mushrooms in heavy cream sauces or in omelets
    Asparagus and fiddlehead ferns in season, with butter
    Much more...

Flexi is offline Member
    try stir-fried broccoli - important thing here is to boild the broccoli first for a few minutes and then let it dry thoroughly - I do the boiling when I am cooking other foods, then let the broccoli stand on its head until dry. To stir fry just throw in some garlic, ginger, chilli into the oil first and when fragrant add the broccoli for a short while. It should have a bite and not be soggy and overcooked.

I just love what they sell here in UK as winter greens - green leafy veg with stems, not spinach. I cut up the stems first and fry them for 1 minute or 2 before adding the leaves. Very nice.

I think I'll have some now :-)

Pluto is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexi View Post
    try stir-fried broccoli - important thing here is to boild the broccoli first for a few minutes and then let it dry thoroughly
    Easier method: Use a covered pan/wok. Dump your (still raw chopped up) broccoli in the hot oil/garlic & seasonings mixture. Stir-fry a few minutes, then dump 1/4 to 1/2 cup (depends on amount of broc) water or broth in the pan. Cover quickly and let it steam a few minutes more. Works for all veggies.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffspakes View Post
    Do you just roast them in the oven? I've never tried roasting broccoli...I love it steamed with butter. What do you put on your brussel sprouts, I've tried them roasted and just find them rather bland.
    Try steaming the brussel sprouts, then slapping them in a pan with some baconfat and serving with some home made bacon peices. *drool*

When roasting them in the oven, toss with olive oil or coconut oil (YUM!) and spices/herbs...they get all caramelized and om nom nommy like.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Stir fried broccolini, sauteed mushroms, Sauteed onions mmmmm.

alireb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffspakes View Post
    I'll all for roasting veggies in the oven since I have a 3 year old and it just makes dinner that much easier. Plus they come out so delicious with hardly any work!

For the broccoli, I follow Ina Garten's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

I have used the parmesan and everyone gobbles it up. I don't do the pinenuts or basil. I also do it just with olive oil and salt and pepper and then add a bit of lemon juice and/or zest at the end.

For the brussel sprouts, I do something similar but I always cut mine in half. They just get more tender that way. Lots of olive oil, salt, pepper and roast in oven for about 30-40 minutes. We did them for Thanksgiving and they were the only dish that we had no leftover of!

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    +1 on roasted brussels sprouts... I did this last night, was fabulous... quarter them and toss in olive oil with garlic, salt, pepper. Roast until they start to carmelize. yum.

Also love:
    carrots & parsnips cooked in loads of butter with herbs
    mashed rutabaga with cream & lots of butter (or rutamousse as my family calls it)
    grilled zucchini & yellow squash, or asparagus

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Zuke chips! Slice zucchini thin, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper (and we usually add parm cheese too). Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
    Roasted broccoli.
    Spagetti squash
    Kale chips
    spinach salads
    mushrooms sauteed in butter or bacon fat
    pumpkin soup
    cabbage mixed up in a variety of slaws - flavor changes depending on what we're eating with it
    Marinated cucumers (sliced, marinated in white wine vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil with red onion too). Cool & yummy in the summer w/ grilled meats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast