Thread: Question about logging fat page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Question about logging fat

Primal Fuel
    A quick question about entering meat into fitday or whatever other tracking program you use.. Since meat loses quite a bit of weight during the cooking process, what is the best way to track it as closely as possible? I know that on fitday, if you select a cooked item from their list, they build in some nutritional information for cooking oils. Any thoughts?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Seagal is offline Junior Member
    I weigh it after cooking (choose raw when entering) and add whatever fat (1T coconut oil or whatever) separately.

Just a thought....

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I use livestrong. Weigh meat raw and enter that weight. Some entries will specify cooked or raw weight so obviously go with that, but when in doubt - weigh it pre-cooked. I wouldn't use it if they "build in" some sort of assumption about what/how much cooking oils you use. That's stupid.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    2nd. use raw weigh for meat unless it specifies cooked.

Also, fitday's database and algorithm are phenominally inaccurate. I'd use just about any other tool besides theirs. I find dailyburn to be the most intuitive and fast but it's only macros unless you pay for more.

Nutritiondata.self.com is the most comprehensive but is also very cumbersome.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thanks chicas!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Not to be prickly, but why worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Not to be prickly, but why worry?
    My brother and his wife have just this week started their primal journey. They are coming from the same background I did, which was a very low fat frame of mind, and want to track to make sure they are getting enough fat, etc., since suddenly including so much fat in the diet can be very counter-intuitive. I know that it definitely helped me track for the first couple weeks so that I could get a grasp of the nutritional makeup of a primal/paleo diet and what that looked like in actual food.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Ah. I can always tell, because I don't feel full. Wadn't meaning to come off as a jerk. When I am interested in macros, I use dailyburn, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Ah. I can always tell, because I don't feel full. Wadn't meaning to come off as a jerk. When I am interested in macros, I use dailyburn, fwiw.
    You didn't come off as a jerk at all. I started primal after a very dedicated, by the book round of p90x, so I was used to the mindset that I MUST eat every 2 hours and very low fat, so I had literally forgotten how to eat because I am hungry, or what hunger even felt like, because I had to shove so much food down my throat to get enough calories.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a question on bacon. I cook my breakfast in the bacon grease from the bacon I just cooked. Do you add bacon grease when entering foods? I haven't been unless I am cooking in bacon grease without actually having bacon.