Thread: What's Your Opinion On "Metabolic Typing" page

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Hey hey everyone,

I'm not sure how I feel about this "metabolic typing" diet I've heard about.

Basically, it says that some people are designed to eat mainly:

-Protein

Or

-Carbs

The basis is that *some* people do better on mainly carbs, and others do better on mainly protein and fat.

The reasoning is that some cultures like the Eskimos ate mainly Protein and Fat and did just fine.

While other cultures ate mainly carbs and were very healthy as well.

Seems kind of... incomplete... to me.

My hunch is that there's other factors in play with the high carb groups.

Such as maybe mainly glucose carbs like tubers?

I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

-Sean

maba is offline Senior Member

GoodFriendSam had thoughts on this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tabolic-Typing

hannahm34 is offline Member

I'd like to know too. I was convinced to take the MT Test and I turned out to be a mixed type. You're only supposed to eat certain foods together.

I'm wondering if it's a scam. I've been trying it out (primally...no grains, dairy etc) for the last week, and I don't notice any difference yet.

Tarlach is offline Member

The whole metabolic typing sounds like a load of rubbish.

Humans are basically the same as we were 75,000 ago. The majority of our genes are all the same. We certainly aren't that different that some of us should live on carbs and others protein.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Dream Guest

From what I've read about the diet, it's a waste of time. Our blood types are based off of other occurrences throughout history (viruses, bacteria, etc throughout various parts of the world, and not others- for example)- not "carbs or protein".

-Anthony

Helen Guest

I am eating right for my blood type since April and after one week of eating this way, I was able to sleep at night without pain. I have arthritis in my feet. Now I am also eating primal, but only the foods that are okay to eat according to my blood type. All I know it works for me and I plan to continue.

Travis G Guest

John Barban put together a great paper over this, and other BS diets. According to him, blood types can change throughout a person's life due to certain issues such as organ transplants.

Hey hey everyone, thanks for the replies!

It seems there is some kind of cross-bleed and/or confusion between "metabolic typing" and "blood typing."

As far as I know they're different.

Metabolic typing focuses more on how you metabolize macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat.)

It seems to say that some work better on carbs, and some work better on protein.

I think that sounds kind of fishy to me, and I can't find anything to substantiate it.

The "creator" of the diet supposedly has a proprietary way of testing for what type you are with all kinds of advanced algorithms, and fancy words...

And he's been doing this for 30+ years.

But when asked if there is any studies, or science, etc behind it... then he says that there's no interest from the medical community so they've never done one...

Sounds fishy to me.

Does anyone have anything that backs up this diet or refutes it from a scientific/factual standpoint?

All I can find is anecdotal info...

-Sean

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks Mark,

That's how I think as well right now.

And then as soon as you say something that "attacks" the metabolic typing theory, then a ton of anecdotal evidence keeps coming back.

IE "I feel much better on carbs than protein." or "My wife eats carbs and loses weight, but if she eats fat then she gains weight."

It's a bit confusing. I wonder if there something else going on there that's not being discussed.

If metabolic typing is a real thing, I'd love to see some studies on it.

Even paleo has studies done.

Primal doesn't to my knowledge yet, but it *is* backed up by real science, not esoteric theory about geographic region related to your ancestry and diet.

-Sean