Thread: Eat when hungry? page

splunky is offline Senior Member

Eat when hungry?

Primal Fuel
    I think one of the best things about this way of eating is you can eat, whenever you are hungry!!
    There's just 1 problem though.............

I almost never feel hungry. I get cranky, or a headache, or lack energy, but my stomach almost never growls or gets that "empty" feeling. For some time now I have tried to determine when I am actually hungry, so i know when to eat. But I just get all confused. Some days i can go many hrs without feeling hungry, and once in a blue moon if I wait long enough (like 6hrs or more) my stomach will actually rumble! But most of the time if I wait, I get irritable, or lack energy etc etc. It's difficult to decode, sometimes I feel like it's lack of lseep that causes these symptoms, or just a busy schedule, but then I eat a snack, simply because the children are, and all of a sudden I feel better! So, waiting for these signals doesn't really work because getting irritable isn't so great when teaching my children, or out and about.

Being low carb doesn't help this. The only time I really get consistant hunger feelings would be eating high carb and low calorie, which I KNOW isn't the answer.

The other thing is, if I stop when I am full, I would probly not ever feel like eating for the rest of the day, which just perpetuates this cycle. I can just "eat sensably' and assume it's enough but then it gets inot a lower calorie mindset.

So, I am confused how to go about this concept. Any thoughts?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My hunger signal is getting cranky or low energy. That's what I use to know when to eat.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    My hunger signal is getting cranky or low energy. That's what I use to know when to eat.
    There ya go, if you know that's what signals your body is giving you when you're hungry then eat!

Well I guess that's normal and didn't realize it. It's just quite inconvenient to get that way. but I guess knowing this I can change my minset knowing that if i pay attention to my body signals I can repond quicker, therefor get less moody.
    I also feel guilty eating when my stomach doesn't feel hungry, like it's not realy the case, but this must need a mindset change as well I guess. Thanks!!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I, too, have noticed that I don't get hunger pangs as frequently while eating primal. I do notice a slight low energy feeling or my brain feeling a bit fuzzy, which just happened. I warmed up my spaghetti squash and meatballs, took a few bites and feel better already.

After six weeks of primal, I am noticing I feel full on less food and don't get hungry as soon, so that's great.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Griff is offline Senior Member
    This might just be your hunger symptom - the crankiness and headaches. Not everyone gets that "empty" feeling in their stomach. Other indicators of hunger are just as valid. For a lot of people, the stomach symptom is entirely based on carb cravings; once you get past the low-carb flu, you no longer have that feeling. Doesn't mean you're not hungry!
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    This might just be your hunger symptom - the crankiness and headaches. Not everyone gets that "empty" feeling in their stomach. Other indicators of hunger are just as valid. For a lot of people, the stomach symptom is entirely based on carb cravings; once you get past the low-carb flu, you no longer have that feeling. Doesn't mean you're not hungry!
    Thanks for that validation Griff! I was anorexic most of my teen yrs and the mentality takes a long time to leave. I am not any where near that now, I love food, however, somethings linger for quite a while. And, eating when "not hungry" makes me feel so guilty. One more hurdle to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    I, too, have noticed that I don't get hunger pangs as frequently while eating primal. I do notice a slight low energy feeling or my brain feeling a bit fuzzy, which just happened. I warmed up my spaghetti squash and meatballs, took a few bites and feel better already.

After six weeks of primal, I am noticing I feel full on less food and don't get hungry as soon, so that's great.
    It's amazing how it disappears so quickly isn't it! Glad I am not the only one. BTW, great job on 6 wks Primal!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup, i get the crankies too. that's how i know it's time to eat.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I alternate between my version of hunger showing up as me being tired, or by my stomach growling, no idea why it's sometimes one and not the other. It feels 'wrong' to eat if my stomach isn't empty-feeling - I rang in the new year with 36 hour fast, simply because I didn't feel hungry at all and didn't really need energy for anything - I had to say goodbye to my boyfriend on the 1st, so I was upset and all I wanted to do was lie in bed being sad forever, looll.

I'd just advise eating something when you feel like you need energy. Don't stress out about eating too much, just focus on getting enough nutrients.