Thread: The price of primal becoming popular? page

lizch is offline Senior Member

The price of primal becoming popular?

A thread today about feeling chest pain and attributing it to primal made me think about the future. As more people eat primally, there are bound to be examples of people dropping dead of heart attacks, shortly after changing their diet or after years on it. Those invested in conventional wisdom will highlight these incidents as proof that this way of eating is dangerous. Those who are borderline about adopting this plan will be easily swayed away from it. The fact that more people died eating conventionally will not be included in most stories on the topic.

I see this all the time around birth. Homebirth deaths are talked up (The OB's political organization even requested their members submit stories of bad outcomes...can't think of a worse study design! It was briefly thwarted when home birth advocates flooded their site with stories of lovely, normal births, which made them lock the page for members only.)

I've no idea where I'm going with this....I suppose just realizing that (selfishly) I rather like that primal isn't headline news yet.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Those who are determined to get healthier will find a way somehow. No matter how many people happen to die while professing to be on the PB, the PB's principles will still be heard, and even if they are cast in a negative light, inquisitive people will still do their research and adopt the lifestyle. It will be kind of like how the whole paleo movement was in the beginning: full of intelligent, inquisitive people unafraid to forge their own path to health.

Not everyone can be saved from the SAD and CW.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    This reminds me of all the talk about how Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack, when he actually slipped and fell and suffered a head injury. People will always refute the benefits of fat, and of course say "I told you so" when a person following Primal/Paleo nutrition dies of a heart attack, but there is no denying the advantage of consuming whole and natural ingredients over processed foods.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    It will be interesting to see where Paleo/Primal are in the next 5 years. I think most people are so addicted to SAD diet they will eventually dismiss Paleo/Primal as a fad.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    It will be very very interesting to see where Primal/Paleo is in 5 years. Even by the end of 2011. A lot of people are doing A LOT to help spread the word. Most dismiss it when they here about it but when it pops up over and over again then they are more likely to give it a try. More and more people will dive in and most will almost drown while a handful will see the world like never before as they swim up since they adapted the lifestyle correctly.

It will continue to grow and will make the news more and more as time goes on. After all, it is how we ate and lived for thousands of years!

I would LOVE to meet more people that live a primal lifestyle. There is simply not enough of us out there in my opinion. The more it gets out there then then the more fun it will be to live eat this way. It will be easier to eat out soon too.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    My mother would never, ever change the way she eats though now it is really important that she does. My father, I don't know. He gains interest in different diets and he read the PB but hasn't implemented it yet. I would love for him to start it but if something happened to him shortly after starting PB, my mother would put the blame on me for trying to push him towards it and I would get something like, "Now look what you did. I told you it was bad!". It would never be the way that he ate 62 years prior to that which was a mix of good and bad.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Forty years ago, my mother cooked meat and three vegetables most nights of the week, with potatoes being one of the vegetables. We would put butter on the meat and veg. Comparing that to what most eat today, it actually wasn't too bad. Unfortunately breakfast was cereal and lunch sandwiches.

Just a reminder that the demonisation of fat and saturated fat in particular is a new and hopefully transient phenomenon
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Ask a 1000 random people if they're ever heard of the primal diet and I'd be surpised if the answer was more then a fraction of 1%. Will there be more people eating primally in the future? Sure but it'll still be a very small percentage, IMO.

Imogen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Those who are determined to get healthier will find a way somehow. No matter how many people happen to die while professing to be on the PB, the PB's principles will still be heard, and even if they are cast in a negative light, inquisitive people will still do their research and adopt the lifestyle. It will be kind of like how the whole paleo movement was in the beginning: full of intelligent, inquisitive people unafraid to forge their own path to health.

Not everyone can be saved from the SAD and CW.
    This is my perspective, too.

Five years ago, I read a mainstream news article bout NYC's Caveman. I remembered that he called his lifestyle "Paleo" and given that my internet connection was poor, I had three babies, and had just moved 2200 km from where I had lived for the previous 3/4 of my life, I didn't devote any more time to reading about it.

A year later, my internet connection was much better and I had more time to read (and some friends, and familiarity with my new town), and came across traditional foods diets. That made sense to me, and we adopted it full-out, no exceptions. But the Paleo guy article stuck in the back of my mind.

Making the switch after deciding to look into it (that back-of-the-mind nagging) has been very easy because I've always disliked grain foods, and even quitting dairy and nightshades was surprisingly easy. I'd long ago quit sugar, junk food, etc... (over a decade earlier).

Right now my biggest concern is that I've told too many people about good sources for a variety of foods, and while before, I could have stocked up on them because nobody else was buying them, now we either have to race to be the first or order things in. So annoying.

But worse, two retailers increased their prices upwards of 25% (!) after we'd cleared them out several times of shelf items (supplements and food oils), citing that "well, it's become quite popular!" Ummm, yeah, we're the people buying it all. They didn't even care when we reminded them of this rather significant fact. Now we order the stuff from the US, and these retailers still have the grossly overpriced stuff sitting on the shelves awaiting expiration.

So, recently I've been wondering whether or not I should keep my mouth shut so that my food supply doesn't disappear or double in price. Hard call. Word travels fast here. There have been several instances when I was the last to know things about my own life. Nothing bad, but it's still weird and sometimes difficult to navigate.

It would be nice if it did become mainstream, though, because paleo/PB people seem to be so much easier-going and reasonable than the gen. pop. distribution of same qualities, in my short and pleasant experience.
    Last edited by Imogen; 01-03-2011 at 09:37 PM.