Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and low-carb page

maba is offline Senior Member

Breastfeeding and low-carb

Primal Fuel
    My carb consumption increased significantly after the birth of my baby 3 months ago, mostly in the form of rice and lentils. Now I'm trying to get back to primal WOE. After eating an almost primal diet yesterday, I'm having slight low-carb symptoms today - headache and light headedness. I'm aware that these symptoms can also be caused by the body trying to get rid of toxins. My question - can these toxins go to my baby through breast milk? I'm not as concerned about losing fat now as I am about going back to eating clean. But at the same time I don't want my baby to get toxins from my body. What would Grokette do?

katzilla is offline Senior Member
    I am and would nurse through it. Breastfeeding provides so many benefits that it's probably worth it to have a few toxins pass through.

You can actually test your milk for ketones, which are the "toxins" that everyone is worried about. I use ketone test strips to make sure I'm not passing them though my milk. Ketones are actually needed for a growing baby brain so it seems a little silly to be worried about a few of them getting through. I keep my carbs higher than 60g a day and I manage to stay out of ketosis, ymmv.

Also remember Ms. Grock would have been eating lower carbs, and at times would be in ketosis, releasing "toxins" so clearly we were designed to survive that.

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discu...tml?1052170264

Also Dr. Hale, who is an expert on breastfeeding and drug safety says it's not dangerous.
    Last edited by katzilla; 01-03-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added a link
    5 foot 5 female.
    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

Thanks katzilla! Not BFing is not an option. I was only wondering if I should increase my carb intake to avoid quick weight loss and thus the release of toxins. I'm not concerned about the ketones passing to the baby, only the nasty stuff my body may be harboring from eating not-so-clean in the last 3 months. Thanks for assuring me that it won't affect the baby.

Kellymom website says eating low-carb can affect milk supply as a result of the reduced calories. That's another concern of mine too. Even when eating primal, my carbs tend to be on the higher side (>= 90g).

katzilla is offline Senior Member
    You probably have established your milk supply well enough at 3 months that you wont have issues. My experience is that being primal has no effect on my supply. In fact I am taking b6 to lower my supply. If you do notice a drop just start offering the breast more and up your carbs
    5 foot 5 female.
    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

splunky is offline Senior Member
    Fenugreek also helps increase your supply if you should need it. I found that low carb decreased my supply personally, but the fenugreek worked wonders!
    Also, think of it this way, the toxins in your milk(if you end up going lower carb and release toxins) isn't nearly as bad as the toxins in what you eat should you continue to eat less than optimal choices daily. Also, the amt of toxins that go through that avenue isn't that much, our bodies are smart, there are many other avenues in which to release toxins.
    Just my 2 cents worth

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Go for it maba! I found I felt so much better when I dropped the carbs while breastfeeding!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I would take it very slowly and wean off of carbs gradually by eating some winter squashes, sweet potatoes, maybe a little rice and white potato. There's no hurry and you need to keep your energy up as well as your milk supply. I have always found day number 3 to be the worst when shifting from high carb to low carb. I stupidly tried a low carb diet while still breastfeeding my daughter and felt so horrible that I practically crawled to the pantry and inhaled half a box of cheerios. Gradual is better IMHO. Best wishes to you and your little one. Such a special time. Sigh.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    Personally, I would take it very slowly and wean off of carbs gradually by eating some winter squashes, sweet potatoes, maybe a little rice and white potato. There's no hurry and you need to keep your energy up as well as your milk supply. I have always found day number 3 to be the worst when shifting from high carb to low carb. I stupidly tried a low carb diet while still breastfeeding my daughter and felt so horrible that I practically crawled to the pantry and inhaled half a box of cheerios. Gradual is better IMHO. Best wishes to you and your little one. Such a special time. Sigh.
    Yes, definitely listen to your body!

Also I forgot to mention that I soak in epsom salts almost daily (2 cups for a bathtub full of water) and they are detoxifying as well as soothing and good for skin and hair!

Aww, thank you all!

@katzilla: Are you having an over-supply? May I ask how old the grokaroo is? I suspect I have an over-supply too but at this point I don't want to do anything that may result in decreasing the milk. I have forceful let-downs in the mornings especially and as a result, my baby cries a bit initially.

@splunky: "the toxins in your milk(if you end up going lower carb and release toxins) isn't nearly as bad as the toxins in what you eat should you continue to eat less than optimal choices daily" - I didn't think about it, totally makes sense.

@shat: That's the way I'm planning to do it, slowly easing back into Primal WOE.

@lil_em: Long time, no see! I haven't visited your blog in ages too. Thanks for the epsom salt suggestion.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by maba View Post
    My carb consumption increased significantly after the birth of my baby 3 months ago, mostly in the form of rice and lentils. Now I'm trying to get back to primal WOE. After eating an almost primal diet yesterday, I'm having slight low-carb symptoms today - headache and light headedness. I'm aware that these symptoms can also be caused by the body trying to get rid of toxins. My question - can these toxins go to my baby through breast milk? I'm not as concerned about losing fat now as I am about going back to eating clean. But at the same time I don't want my baby to get toxins from my body. What would Grokette do?
    Unfortunately, with humans being at the top of the food chain, your baby will get your toxins during pregnancy and breastfeeding no matter what - whether or not you loose weight, whether or not you are in ketosis. Since our bodies are designed to get rid of toxins, the best bet is to supply said body with what it needs and let (in this case) nature do it's thing.

http://www.sightline.org/research/en...ngraber_essay/

Don't stress about it; don't think on it....just eat as cleanly as possible minimizing both food toxins (ie skins on tubers, legumes) and food supply toxins (ie choose organic )

I also wouldn't worry about the oversupply unless it's causing symptoms in baby - ie green, mucousy stools, gassiness and general discomfort, choking/breast refusal. It's often easiest to just feed baby upright (sling or upright carrier or sitting upright straddled on your lap) so baby can control the flow at the times of day when OALD/OS is an issue.

K
    Last edited by cillakat; 01-03-2011 at 12:09 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast