Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burger recipes please! page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Burger recipes please!

Shop Now
    So I bought some minced beef yesterday, and I'm going to experiment a bit, but I'd like a few tips as I'm just getting to know my ingredients at the moment

Quick question about the beef: Do you guys buy minced or get a proper cut and chop it up yourself. Generally speaking, I would be getting better quality meat if I buy a steak and do the chopping, right? If people just buy minced because it's easier I'll opt for the steak and the chopping. I think to myself.. What would Grok do?

I made 3 burgers yesterday. Just chopped some onion and mixed it with the meat, squashed it down and put it in the oven at 190. For a first attempt it wasn't bad. The beef tasted nice, if a little dry, but the onions were maybe too large and kept falling off. I want it to stick together next time. I think I'll chop a bit of garlic and ginger into it as well.

Anyway, please share all of your burger making tips. Anything from meat, heat, and the things you chop into it. Cheers!

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    I made some burgers the other day where I mixed some sour cream with dijon mustard and added some dill. I saved some of the mixture for a sauce and put the rest in the burgers. They were quite tasty but because the meat was so lean they didn't hold together well enough. I think I will add an egg the next time to get them to hold together better. I ate them for dinner with mashed rutabaga and am having the leftovers today.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    The falling apart bit is why most recipes call for breadcrumbs

I've tried a few things:

Shredded zucchini and onion (tastes great, doesn't really help the falling apart)
    a tablespoon of almond flour/meal (helps the falling apart, and if you season the meat well, tastes great)
    both of the above plus adding bacon fat: PURE WIN I got delicious, juicy burgers, with tons of flavor and they stuck together! WOOT!

Hope that helps

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I always add an egg yolk to my meat mixture to keep it from falling apart. Helps them stay juicy, too. I also fry them in bacon fat rather than baking in the oven. I like them crispy on the outside but still a bit pink on the inside.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I mix some ground beef/pork with salt and pepper (a generous amount of pepper, that's how I like it), some crumbled feta, a few tbsp of pesto and an egg or two (depending on how much meat I'm using). Then I leave it sitting on the counter for an hour or two for everything to bind together nicely. (It won't go bad, don't worry.) Then I shape it into patties and fry it in some rendered bacon fat. Yum.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I agree with a little egg if you're having trouble keeping them together. Or, just get the fattier meat. I opt for 80/20 grass-fed (when it's on sale ) and haven't had a problem with any of my burgers. Along those lines, you could mix leaner beef and pork.

Basically if you think of anything people do with meatloaf, you can do that with burgers. The ideas in this thread are great!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I agree that you need to make sure you're not choosing meat that's too lean. When it comes to burgers, I swear by the 80-20% fat ground beef, and it usually doesn't fall apart, nor is it too dry. Mixing in an egg can help. I like minced onion (minced fine so it cooks), salt & pepper, and sometimes a dry rub that's meant for steak like a Monreal steak seasoning (just check for sugar in it). If I have a good sharp cheddar on hand, I will mince up little pieces and mix that in too. Not a lot of it, but maybe a 1/3 to a 1/2 cup for 3 or four bugers.

I buy my ground beef already ground, but I have a good local source that I trust, and it's generally a pretty decent price. Also, I like my hamburgers a little pink on the inside, but I only eat them this way when I know where the beef has come from. If I'm getting a burger in a restaurant, I request no pink.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the great feedback. I've got a few ideas now, and I'll be trying them out very soon. I'll post back on the results, probably in a day or two. I like making burgers already

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Chef Hubert Keller has a fun burger making video located here

I too have an issue with the burger staying together and will try fattier cuts of meat. A meat grinder can really be helpful I have heard but have not had the chance to pick one up yet.

Keller uses a bun for his burger but just ignore that part Also ignore the canola oil part - bacon fat all the way - woot woot
    Last edited by canio6; 01-03-2011 at 07:40 AM.

mm84321 is offline Senior Member
    Grilled portobello mushrooms make great buns for burgers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast