Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overdosed on Vitamin D drops... Help!! page

ALLBIZNISS is offline Junior Member

Overdosed on Vitamin D drops... Help!!

After a recent Vitamin D blood test , my doctor noticed that I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency (19 ng/dI … optimal 60-80) and prescribed me to take 12,000 IU’s of Vitamin D per day for 3 months and then drop to 4,000 per day.

I ordered a bottle of NSI Vitamin D-3 drops from Vitacost (cheaper than Carlsons and more servings... 900 2,000 IU servings for $9.99).

I consider myself to be a pretty smart fellow , but in my absent mindedness when I read the serving on the bottle of 1 drop = 2000 IU’s… I translated it as 1 dropper = 2,000 so I needed to take 5 per day.

The last several days the symptoms I have been experiencing before such as fatigue, irritability have been off the charts. I have also been experiencing a little vertigo, which I have had before so thought maybe my body is just adjusting.

I notice that the bottle was half empty today and then it hit me that maybe it was really just one drop, not dropper.

If there are truly 900 2,000 IU servings in the bottle, then I have ingested about 900,000 IU's (150,000 IU's per day) of Vitamin D-3 over the last 6 days. That is basically about 3 months worth!

I am not sure what to do. I have read a bit on the net of the side effects and possible negative results from a Vitamin D overdose.

Should I just not take anymore Vitamin D for the next 12 weeks and then start again?

Should I take something else to flush my system?

I need some help here.

Please provide any guidance here.

Thanks
    Last edited by ALLBIZNISS; 01-02-2011 at 10:16 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You might want to read this: http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/is...man-study.html and the articles linked from it.

Essentially, you will need a lot of Vitamin A and possibly magnesium to overcome the toxicity of your Vitamin D3 overdose. I can't say how much of either will help without introducing its own toxicity, especially with the Vitamin A. Taking magnesium until it induces diarrhoea is safe, if unpleasant
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    May also want to double check the bottle and/or check out the manufacturers website for actual stats of the supplement.
    My vit D drops are only a few hundred per drop and approx 5,000 IU per dropper full.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I would call your local poison control center, ASAP, and do whatever they advise. They will know who to refer you to and will give you the same instructions that they'd be giving to the ER doc if you showed up at an ER and s/he called them. You can also call the manufacturer. They may give you the run-around, but maybe not. They are probably more aware than anyone of the potential toxicity of what they are selling. Keep us posted!

Stancel is offline Junior Member
    The obvious thing to do is to STOP taking the Vitamin D. If the toxicity is not immediately serious, you can let the levels go down over time until you feel safe enough to use it again. Be careful with nutritional supplements. They are not safe just because they are healthy. All vitamins and minerals are toxic and even fatal at some point.

Stancel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    You might want to read this: http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/is...man-study.html and the articles linked from it.

Essentially, you will need a lot of Vitamin A and possibly magnesium to overcome the toxicity of your Vitamin D3 overdose. I can't say how much of either will help without introducing its own toxicity, especially with the Vitamin A. Taking magnesium until it induces diarrhoea is safe, if unpleasant
    This is not good advice as "a lot of" Vitamin A in retinol form can be highly toxic. People have died from eating the livers of Arctic species of animals with extreme levels of retinol Vitamin A.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Stancel. DO NOT take Retinol, especially in excess.

Here's a full quote of the Vitamin D Council page on vitamin D toxicity. From looking at this, I would advise you to contact Dr Cannell. He will certainly be interested in your case and you are likely to show up on the next version of this page!

======
    Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol Toxicity The Truth About Vitamin D Toxicity

VITAMIN D TOXICITY FEARS UNWARRANTED -- Is vitamin D toxic? Not if we take the same amount nature intended when we go out in the sun. Vieth attempted to dispel unwarranted fears in medical community of physiological doses of vitamin D in 1999 with his exhaustive and well-written review.

Is toxicity a concern for you? If so, then increase your levels the way nature intended, with ultraviolet B light! His conclusions: fear of vitamin D toxicity is unwarranted, and such unwarranted fear, bordering on hysteria, is rampant in the medical profession. Even Ian Monroe, the chair of the relevant IOM committee, wrote to the Journal to compliment Vieth's work and to promise his findings will be considered at the time of a future Institute of Medicine review. That was more than two years ago.In 1999, Vieth indirectly asked the medical community to produce any evidence 10,000 units of vitamin D a day was toxic, saying "Throughout my preparation of this review, I was amazed at the lack of evidence supporting statements about the toxicity of moderate doses of vitamin D." He added: "If there is published evidence of toxicity in adults from an intake of 250 ug (10,000 IU) per day, and that is verified by the 25(OH)D concentration, I have yet to find it."

Like most medication, cholecalciferol is certainly toxic in excess, and, like Coumadin, is used as a rodent poison for this purpose. Animal data indicates signs of toxicity can occur with ingestion of 0.5 mg/kg (20,000 IU/kg ), while the oral LD50 (the dose it takes to kill half the animals) for cholecalciferol in dogs is about 88 mg/kg, or 3,520,000 IU/kg. This would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000 IU or 440,000 of the 400 unit cholecalciferol capsules.Vieth reports human toxicity probably begins to occur after chronic daily consumption of approximately 40,000 IU/day (100 of the 400 IU capsules).

Heavy sun exposure when combined with excessive supplement use is a theoretical risk for vitamin D toxicity, but if such a case has been reported, I am not aware of it.Physician ignorance about vitamin D toxicity is widespread. A case report of four patients appeared in the 1997 Annals of Internal Medicine, accompanied by an editorial warning about vitamin D toxicity.

However, careful examination of the patients reveals that both papers are a testimony to the fact that incompetence about vitamin D toxicity can reach the highest levels of academia. See worst science for a full critique.

CHOLECALCIFEROL, NOT ERGOCALCIFEROL, IS SAFE -- Although there are documented cases of pharmacological overdoses from ergocalciferol, the only documented case of pharmacological—not industrial—toxicity from cholecalciferol we could find in the literature was intoxication from an over-the-counter supplement called Prolongevity. On closer inspection, it seemed more like an industrial accident but it was interesting because it gave us some idea of the safety of cholecalciferol. The capsules consumed contained up to 430 times the amount of cholecalciferol contained on the label (2,000 IU). The man had been taking between 156,000–2,604,000 IU of cholecalciferol a day (equivalent to between 390–6,500 of the 400 unit capsules) for two years. He recovered uneventfully after proper diagnosis, treatment with steroids, and sunscreen.It is true that a few people may have problems with high calcium due to undiagnosed vitamin D hypersensitivity syndromes such as primary hyperparathyroidism, granulomatous disease, or occult cancers, but a blood calcium level, PTH, 25(OH)D, and calcitriol level should help clarify the cause of the hypersensitivity. Although D can be toxic in excess, the same can be said for water.

THERAPEUTIC INDEX ----- As a physician, I know that psychotic patients should drink about 8 glasses of water a day. However, many would hurt themselves by regularly drinking 40 glasses a day (called compulsive water intoxication). So you could say that water has a therapeutic index of 5 (40/8).Heaney's recent research indicates that healthy humans utilize about 4,000 units of vitamin D a day (from all sources). However, 40,000 units a day, over several years, will hurt them.

Therefore, vitamin D has a therapeutic index of 10 (40,000/4,000)—twice as safe as water. We are not saying vitamin D is as safe as water, we are saying vitamin D is safe when used in the doses nature uses.

SUN SUPPLIES 10,000 UNITS OF VITAMIN D -- The single most important fact anyone needs to know about vitamin D is how much nature supplies if we behave naturally, e.g., go into the sun. Humans make at least 10,000 units of vitamin D within 30 minutes of full body exposure to the sun, what is called a minimal erythemal dose. Vitamin D production in the skin occurs within minutes and is already maximized before your skin turns pink.Fear of the fatal form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma, keeps many people out of the sun. The problem with the theory is that the incidence of melanoma continues to increase dramatically although many people have been completely avoiding the sun for years.

We are not saying sunburns are safe, they are not. We are saying that brief, full-body sun exposure (minimal erythemal doses) may slightly increase your risk of skin cancer but it is a much smarter thing to do than dying of vitamin D deficiency.

HYPERSENSITIVITY, NOT TOXICITY -- Vitamin D hypersensitivity syndromes are often mistaken for vitamin D toxicity, as they cause hypercalcemia. The most common is primary hyperparathyroidism although some cases of "primary" hyperparathyroidism are actually secondary to Vitamin D deficiency. Patients with hyperparathyroidism should only take vitamin D under the care of a knowledgeable endocrinologist. Granulomatous diseases such as sarcoidosis, granulomatous TB, and some cancers can also cause Vitamin D hypersensitivity, as the granuloma or the tumor may make excessive amounts of activated Vitamin D, thus raising serum calcium. These patients should not take vitamin D except when under the care of a knowledgeable physician.Other syndromes occur when abnormal tissue subverts the kidney's normal regulation of endocrine calcitriol production. Aberrant tissues, usually granulomatous, convert 25(OH)D into calcitriol causing high blood calcium. The most common such conditions are sarcoidosis, oat cell carcinoma of the lung, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma but other illnesses can cause the syndrome and they can occur while the patient's 25(OH)D levels are normal, or even low. For that reason, while rare, it is advisable to seek a knowledgeable physician's care when repleting your vitamin D system, especially if you are older, have sarcoidosis, cancer, or other granulomatous diseases. In such high-risk patients, periodic monitoring of 25(OH)D levels and serum calcium will alert the physician to the need to do more tests—such as calcitriol or PTH—and take further action.It seems clear that restoring physiological serum levels of 25(OH)D will help many more patients that it will hurt. In fact, living in America today while worrying about vitamin D toxicity is like dying of thirst in the desert while worrying about drowning.

John Jacob Cannell MD

Executive Director
    updated 2009.06.20
    Last edited by slacker; 01-03-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: get some line breaks in there

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stancel View Post
    This is not good advice as "a lot of" Vitamin A in retinol form can be highly toxic. People have died from eating the livers of Arctic species of animals with extreme levels of retinol Vitamin A.
    The linked articles above make it clear that there is a relationship between Vitamins A & D and magnesium and there are first hand anecdotes of both Vitamin A and magnesium being used to treat Vitamin D toxicity. Yes, magnesium is the safest option. As I was careful to point out, Vitamin A has its own toxicity so you must be careful how much you take. Nevertheless, it has been demonstrated to counter Vitamin D toxicity so is worthy of consideration in this case if you have taken as much Vitamin D as you suspect
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Grizz is offline Banned
    I agree with others - DON'T EXPERIMENT WITH THIS.

CALL THE MANUFACTURER ASAP

CALL POISON CONTROL ASAP

Please inform us of your results,
    Grizz

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    See a toxicologist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast