Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D and B12 Labs - Oops a D3 error! page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D and B12 Labs - Oops a D3 error!

Primal Fuel
    I have been struggling for many years with very low vit D in spite of taking 10,000 units of D3 per day could never get levels above 28 ng/ml. Since going primal I switched to oil based D - I meant to be taking about 10k units a day. I just got my labs drawn and have found my Vit D3 is 86 ng/ml (labs were run in-house at Stanford Hospital; normal range 25-80 ng/ml). I double checked my dosing and realized I have been taking about 17,000 units per day of D3 - oops! My doctor advised me to skip the D completely for several weeks and then go down to 1000 units a day.

The problem is, I finally feel good! My arthritis is doing amazingly well. I was thinking of dropping down to 10,000 units a day and trying to stay at the high end of normal. I would love any opinions!

Also - my B12 is about 270. Normal, but on the low end. I was hoping eating primally (4 months now - lots of red meat) would bump it up a bit. I wonder if improving my B12 could help with energy? Any thoughts on this? Or the best way to raise it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by jammies; 01-02-2011 at 06:33 PM.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Jammies

I've had excellent results, which greatly improved my sleep patterns, from taking methyl B12, under the tongue. I like Jarrow brand, just because it was the first one I tried, and the results were immediate, after the very first dose. It also helps with fine muscle control. I could play the cello faster! Works for me!

Here's the article which got me to try it. I later ordered a case of it, because I never want to be without it.

http://www.hormonalfitness.com/facts...0Cobalamin.pdf

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My D levels were tested 3 weeks ago at 91 ng/ml--after taking 8,000 IUs for a year. I haven't been sick at all during this time. Because I've had inflammatory conditions (allergies/asthma), I am happy to stay on the higher end of the range.

In March, Mercola reported that after 3 months in the sun with no supplementation his levels were tested at 75 ng/ml and he felt better at this level, too--so he is now suggesting that higher levels may be a "healthier normal" (lifeguards have been tested with levels as high as 100 ng/ml form sun exposure alone.)

Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Hi, Jammies

I've had excellent results, which greatly improved my sleep patterns, from taking methyl B12, under the tongue. I like Jarrow brand, just because it was the first one I tried, and the results were immediate, after the very first dose. It also helps with fine muscle control. I could play the cello faster! Works for me!

Here's the article which got me to try it. I later ordered a case of it, because I never want to be without it.

http://www.hormonalfitness.com/facts...0Cobalamin.pdf
    Thanks PDL! Very interesting reading - thanks for the link. I just ordered the Jarrow brand based on your recommendation. I have never had great luck supplementing with B12 (even with injections), but I have never tried the sublingual methycobalamin....so fingers crossed, maybe it will give me a little more energy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    My D levels were tested 3 weeks ago at 91 ng/ml--after taking 8,000 IUs for a year. I haven't been sick at all during this time. Because I've had inflammatory conditions (allergies/asthma), I am happy to stay on the higher end of the range.

In March, Mercola reported that after 3 months in the sun with no supplementation his levels were tested at 75 ng/ml and he felt better at this level, too--so he is now suggesting that higher levels may be a "healthier normal" (lifeguards have been tested with levels as high as 100 ng/ml form sun exposure alone.)
    Wow - this is interesting! It could be coincidence, since my D level has improved since going primal, but I sure feel better at 88 that I did in the single digits. I think I will shoot for 80 as the level I want to maintain and see how that goes. Now I just have to figure out what dose of D that means for me thanks for the feedback.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Jammies

Let me know how the methyl B12 works for you. You're aware that for sleep improvement from more melatonin your bedroom has to be really dark at night?

Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Hi, Jammies

Let me know how the methyl B12 works for you. You're aware that for sleep improvement from more melatonin your bedroom has to be really dark at night?
    Hmmmm.....that is not really possible in my current situation. My room has a giant window with no curtains or blinds plus there is other light that comes in under my door. I am moving in a month or so and will try to light proof my new room. Do you think some decent eye covers or something like that would help?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Hey jammies. I had the same issues with D... I had gotten my D up to 79 and then went down to taking 4,000 i.u/day and it dropped back to 28 in 4 months! This past time I took 10,000 i.u for a month (again, to get it back up), then went down to 6,000 i.u. and my D was up around 100. Go figure. My guess is perhaps with the other stuff I was doing I was absorbing my vitamins better as well as getting a higher dose? Not sure.

I would just drop down to 6,000 i.u/day for a while. I don't think being 86 is high, really, but you most likely don't need to be taking the super high dose you were. I think Cillakat referenced the Vitamin D council for recommendations on D dosing and it was 1,000 i.u per 25 pounds of body weight for maintenance. So for me, that's about 6,000 or a little more per day. Since you get checked regularly, I would just drop it down to what the maintenance dose would be for your weight and see how it looks at your next lab. But yes, I feel MUCH better at the upper level of the high end myself.

Interestingly, when I first started supping with D I had a level of 42. I took d at 2,000 i.u./day for 4 months and it dropped to 29. So dropping to 1,000 i.u. seems just about worthless to me, LOL. The nurse practitioner couldn't believe it. Of course, I was taking it in pill form then. I since changed to D3 drops in oil and that really made a huge diff as well.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hmmmm.....that is not really possible in my current situation. My room has a giant window with no curtains or blinds plus there is other light that comes in under my door. I am moving in a month or so and will try to light proof my new room. Do you think some decent eye covers or something like that would help?
    I use a well-fitting eye mask. Even with our (expensive) blackout shades, there is some light leakage.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Wow - this is interesting! It could be coincidence, since my D level has improved since going primal, but I sure feel better at 88 that I did in the single digits. I think I will shoot for 80 as the level I want to maintain and see how that goes. Now I just have to figure out what dose of D that means for me thanks for the feedback.
    Jammies,
    The math is really easy. Adjust your dosage down to achieve 80 ng/ml as follows:
    each 1,000 IU reduction will change your blood test ng/ml by 10.

IMO, Your doctor is dead wrong to advise 1,000 IU daily. He just wants to keep you coming back again & again for life. It is bad for business to actually CURE anyone. Health people don't make money for doctors & drug companies.

Grizz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast