Thread: Indoor windowsill gardening page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Indoor windowsill gardening

Primal Fuel
    I am thinking about starting to grow some organic herbs indoors this winter. Can anyone who does this offer tips on how to start? Which herbs grow best indoors? Can any vegetables be grown this way? Where do you buy good quality organic seeds?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've been dabbling in it. I have basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano. I'm also re-growing beet greens from the cut tops. You can get seeds on Amazon, or from catalogs like Burpee.com or if you buy organic veggies you can just save the seeds from them.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    My brown thumb killed them. I need to get a light because I don't have any appropriate south facing windows.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    You need a lot of light. A south-facing window (uncoated) is best, and they appreciate some time outside come late spring.

For seed (and plants through the mail), these people (The Thyme Garden) are really good. And their farm and store are really neat to visit! Their place is a little ways outside of Alsea, Oregon.

http://www.thymegarden.com/

periquin is offline Senior Member
    You can grow just about any herb that you want indoors. Ideally they will be by a window that provides sunlight--especially south or west facing--but not a source of drafts.

A good source of seeds is seedsaversexchange.org. They are a source of heirloom seeds.

I keep cilantro, culantro, a few basils, thyme, some mint, oregano, and sage. Also aloe. I have some pineapples that I propagated during the summer. Also a fledgling meyer lemon which I intend to keep at a dwarf size, if I succeed at getting a viable plant.

I have them in self watering containers that I made from plastic buckets and/or rubber made containers.

If you don't have the right layout in your home, you can set up a system with grow lights. Also, I have a small ceramic heater in the 'greenhouse' room of my home, just in case things get a little too cold.

You can get advice online from MotherEarth magazine, Backwoods Home magazine, Backhome magazine, Hobby Farm magazine and many others that I just don't have time to read since I follow all of the preceeding.

Don't expect anything but success. Those plants want to live if you just help them a little.

I forgot to mention that if you do plant on a windowsill and the plants are touching the cold glass, well, that could be very detrimental.
    Last edited by periquin; 01-02-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added info
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i wanted to make a windowbox for a huge window we have on the south side of the house, for this very purpose. it's probably not going to happen this year, but i will be starting seeds indoors in a few months. my favorite online companies are the natural gardening company, vermont seeds, and seeds of change. it's beneficial to buy seeds from a company that is in the same basic climate as you are- they are more likely to cultivate varieties which will produce better for your area (for example, melons that grow well in the short summers of maine will also likely thrive in the short summers of southern minnesota). also, be sure to fertilize with organic fertilizers (like a kelp fertilizer) or use well-rotted compost in your pots.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I am a former commercial greenhouse herb grower. You will most likely need supplemental light unless you have some awesome south facing windows.

Johnnys Selected Seeds is the best source, in my book.

Overwatering is the most common way people kill their plants. For seed starting check out the systems from growerssupply.com.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Fedco Seeds out of Maine is my favorite seed catalog. They are a co-op, have a very large selection of seeds, and clearly label their seeds sources and whether they are organic.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore