Thread: BodyPump page

Dollface is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Now Iím a relatively inactive person (sigh) and would like to hopefully tone my body while Iím losing, Iíve lost nearly 60lbs following PB and I have about 40 to go. So exercise is becoming a little easier however Iíve never been the most motivated person. Iím excellent with my eating but exercise, well I guess Iím just a bit lazier than some.

Most of you have probably heard of BodyPump http://www.lesmills.com/global/en/me...-bodypump.aspx , seems itís taken over the world LOL. I actually have some dvdís from a friend at home so I can do it when I like and do the bits I want, itís probably the only exercise I like because I find it motivating.

What Iím wondering is BodyPump really considered cardio or weight training? My plan is to use it as my low level cardio and maybe a bit of toning if it works and also have a day a week when I do a heavier resistance training day.

I run my own business from home so sometimes getting out for a walk for my low level cardio is not always an option. Also does the high repetition actually tone muscles or is it a myth?

kimmibear Guest

I just started doing body pump at the gym with a coworker. It is NOT cardio IMHO, not even low level. I just stopped going to my crossfit gym b/c my new schedule w/ school and work don't permit it for this semester and was hoping this would be similar. It is not. I do feel a burn the next day though. Just if you go make sure that if you have been lifting already, don't let the instructor try to talk you into beginner weights, and you can get a weight workout. I told her I had been lifting and would be fine with starting out a little heavier and I was.

And congrats on the weight loss!!! I have about 100 lbs to lose as well and it's encouraging to see someone with that kind of success!

I guess that shows just how unfit I am LOL. I'm feeling my body ache today! The good thing about having the dvd's I can watch what they teach the instructors and I can make a call on what I want to lift.

Thanks, it's soo great having lost this much and it's definately not a struggle, I have a blog http://primaljourney.blogspot.com/ has my photos etc... I like your blog too, will have to check it out more often

Clint is offline Senior Member

Congrats on losing the weight! Keep up the good work!

To answer one of your questions: Yes, low weight/high rep isn't the solution for the "toned" look. The "toned" look comes from low bodyfat levels that allow the muscle definition to show through the skin.

With that said, can you get "toned" doing BodyPump? Absolutely! The time it takes will depend on your diet and other factors. But you can also get "toned" by lifting high weights/low reps. It's all about the amount of BF you carry.

There's a LOT of information out there on this topic if you actually want to trudge around the internet, but in short low weight/high rep for toning is a myth.

Thanks Clint!

You answered exactly what I was curious about, a friend of mine doesn't even workout but she has pretty low body fat levels and you can just see her natural muscle.

But for me I feel good when I do BodyPump so if it works for me for now then i'll do it

Clint is offline Senior Member

That's the EXACT attitude you need to have towards working out! If you're not enjoying it, it's not worth it