Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal for 1 month, now have flu. WTH? page

Imogen is offline Senior Member

Primal for 1 month, now have flu. WTH?

I'm not happy with this.

On the plus side, and this is major, I am nursing a five month old, and despite having had no solid food for over two days, I have had no reduction in milk. Previously, my milk production was completely dependent on the meals I ate that day. If I skipped a meal, I'd be up all night nursing a constantly hungry baby.

Anyway, I didn't expect to get the first flu going around after switching to primal eating. The changes I made were quitting grain (of which I never had more than two "servings" in a day- like two pieces of bread, or one oatmeal square) and dairy. Otherwise, my diet was already fat and meat heavy, low carb- no sugar and only berries for fruit because I get headaches if I eat more than about 70 gms of carbs in a day, and immediate headaches if I eat a banana or grapes, for instance. BUT we have significantly increased our coconut consumption.

I'm wondering if this is a flu/detox combo.

I guess I'll keep my mouth shut about PB until I'm well again. "I went Primal, and now I have the flu and can't eat" is hardly an encouraging testimony. My body composition has drastically changed though. But I have a flu!!! My children and partner did/do too.

Boo.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Flu is caused by a virus. Your diet might have strengthen your immune system, but it will never make it invincible against every bug out there.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sound like carb-flu, so I doubt this has anything with going Primal. Have you checked your Vitamin D levels? You may also need to up your mineral levels.

Flu is caused by a virus. Your diet might have strengthen your immune system, but it will never make it invincible against every bug out there.
    Yeah, I know. I have a decent understanding of immunology, but I average being ill about twice per year, so I hoped that I might make it to the new year having been ill only once. I guess I was due.

Quote Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
    Yeah, I know. I have a decent understanding of immunology, but I average being ill about twice per year, so I hoped that I might make it to the new year having been ill only once. I guess I was due.
    I haven't been sick in over a year, since supplementing with D & minerals to sufficiency and otherwise eating well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Doesn't sound like carb-flu, so I doubt this has anything with going Primal. Have you checked your Vitamin D levels? You may also need to up your mineral levels.
    I've been wondering about this, too. I'm not keen on taking any vitamins in isolation because, for instance, vitamin D production is only one of over one hundred actions the body takes during its synthesis. For that reason, I rely on cod liver oil and fatty fish for D, because they contain co-factors that straight D3 doesn't. I'm not closed to considering taking it, though; I just need to do some more research before I make my conclusion.

I've also found that I have not needed all the supplements I was taking since quitting grain. I no longer need supplemental C, Mg, any of the mood-stabilising herbs, and have even been off my dessicated thyroid and adrenal. I have been taking Concentrace, Mg, clo, and thyroid and adrenal during this flu, though, since I'm not eating. I had some lamb bone broth yesterday, too. I'll have chicken broth today.

All in all, this flu has been resolving quickly and even though I am weak, I am clear-headed and as long as I don't stand up or walk too long, I'm okay.

I haven't been sick in over a year, since supplementing with D & minerals to sufficiency and otherwise eating well.
    Okay. Time to do some research. Thanks.

I'm going to try taking the D3 I have. I live in a region with little sunlight right now. During the summer months, it's all sunlight, though. Do I store that? I'm outside from 8-16 hours during the sunny months (and it's sunny that whole time). But then, it gets very cold and dark for a long time.

I'm going to try taking 4,000 IU and see if that helps. Up to 10,000 IU is considered safe, right? I just read through a bunch of Mark's posts and links from them (I read extremely quickly), and that's what I read from several sources.

I'll do more research, but today I'm going to take 4000 IU.

Thank you for the suggestion, Dragonfly.

You are welcome! Unless you are obese, you aren't able to store more than a couple of weeks' worth, from what I've read. At the latitude that you live, it's possible that you can may not get enough from sunlight even in the summer.

Also, if you are deficient, so is your baby. Suggested supplementation for infants is 400 IUs (oil-based drops.) (I work with pregnant moms, so have been researching nutrition for a long time...)

Yes, 10,000 IUs is safe. I've been taking 8,000 IUs for a year and got my blood level up to 91 ng/ml--the high end of the "lab normal" range, but I was able to clear my chronic eczema pre-Primal at that dose. I will drop down to 6,000 IUs in March and re-test in June.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You are welcome! Unless you are obese, you aren't able to store more than a couple of weeks' worth, from what I've read. At the latitude that you live, it's possible that you can may not get enough from sunlight even in the summer.

Also, if you are deficient, so is your baby. Suggested supplementation for infants is 400 IUs (oil-based drops.) (I work with pregnant moms, so have been researching nutrition for a long time...)

Yes, 10,000 IUs is safe. I've been taking 8,000 IUs for a year and got my blood level up to 91 ng/ml--the high end of the "lab normal" range, but I was able to clear my chronic eczema pre-Primal at that dose. I will drop down to 6,000 IUs in March and re-test in June.
    My babies!!!

Okay, well now I'm more than freaked out. I looked at the drops in town and they contain nasty preservatives (sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate), so I didn't buy them. When we moved here, two years ago, I was giving my children dissolvable D3 tablets, but stopped because my children ended up having little bumps all over their skin that looked like calcium deposits, after several months of taking it. I was giving them 3600 IUs, then reduced to 2000 IUs when summer came. Why would they get those bumps? We were eating grain and dairy at that time- always organic. The bumps didn't leave until we quit dairy a month ago now. There's a connection there, I think. Do you know what it is? Why didn't they have those bumps until I started giving them D3?

They are all bump-free now, so I guess I'll see what happens this time with no dairy.

Our D3 tabs are 400 IUs. Is there any reason not to give that to my infant? Obviously I will crush it so she doesn't choke on it, but I mean are drops essential to an infant who has never had any table food, for some reason?

I hate being ignorant, lol.

Oh, and I'm not obese, and have the classic warm climate figure: long, long limbs and short torso (5'6" wearing a 34" inseam...). I don't carry much fat, even when pregnant. This is probably the worst climate for me. My ancestry is Sicilian and Hungarian with a predominance of my gene expression being Sicilian- olive skin, dark hair, the limb thing, freeze very easily.
    Last edited by Imogen; 01-02-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast