Thread: IF when you're Type 2 diabetic? page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've had conflicting reports on intermittent fasting if you're a Type 2 diabetic. Some people have said it was the best thing to break weight-loss stalls, some people claim it sensitizes you to insulin which makes your blood sugars drop (and ideally your insulin levels, too!) but others have said diabetics shouldn't try it because it's not safe for them. Unfortunately, it wasn't clear whether they meant all diabetics or just Type 1s and medicated Type 2s.

I finished dinner yesterday at about 9:30 p.m. and haven't eaten since. I was thinking I'd try for a 19/5 schedule of IFing, which would mean my next eating window would be tonight from about 4:30 p.m. to about 9:30 p.m., but I'm wondering about a few things:

1. I'm not on any medications (thanks to the PB!) so is IFing safe for me to do?

2. Can I still take my supplements - vitamins, coconut oil, fish oil, etc. - during a fast period?

3. Have any other Type 2s out there done IF, and if so, how was it? Did it cause you problems or did it improve your blood sugars?

4. Will this cause my body to go into starvation-famine mode?

5. Is it safe to exercise when IFing if you're a type 2 diabetic?

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I can't answer your questions except from a personal perspective. I am on medication and have not IF'ed. The closest I come to it is eating a large late breakfast on the weekends (9ish)and skipping lunch if I still feel okay and blood sugar is stable. Then eat an early dinner around 4ish. I most certainly cannot IF breakfast altogether because my BS continues to increase in the morning until I eat.

1. I would think that since you aren't on medication it would be okay. Why don't you experiment and try a short fast and monitor your sugar to see what happens. That's really the only way you will know for sure.

2. I wouldn't take vitamins on an empty stomach just because it might cause nausea. But, again, experiment and see.

3. I have not IF'ed officially so cannot say whether it would cause problems or improve my blood sugar. Other than I already know if I skip breakfast, bad things happen.

4. I worry about slowed metabolism from this as well. I have heard some people actually gain weight when they fast too much.

5. I would say to keep exercise mild- walking etc. But, again, experiment to see what works for you.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah and if you end up doing it, please report back so we can see how you did.