Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 98

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey all, it's been forever so I thought I'd drop in. (Note to self, cruise my subscribed journal threads here too!)

I've been chain-listening to Robb Wolf's podcast archive: Podcast

It's been interesting. I like his heavy-rotation science nerdolatry as he describes the biochemical pathways for things. Unfortunately I don't understand all their abbreviations and terminology when they talk about Crossfit or weightlifting... when I'm in better shape myself I'll get a little more oriented, no doubt.

And speaking of, my exercise program is still nothing amazing, but at least it's not entirely absent. I walk at least once a day. At least once a day at work I do some push-ups, planks, or other bodyweight exercise. I do want to step that up into a more consolidated routine in the evenings, though.

Weight is still right around the same level, even though I've been strictly paleo with my eating lately. Hmm. But then again I've been mega-stressed and problematic on the sleep front, so perhaps it's too much to expect my body to let go of extra "safety weight."

Not sure how to reduce stress really, unfortunately. I'm acting team lead at my office now and that's been quite a transition. I want to do a really good job since I might want to apply when this position officially opens later. It's a struggle just to make sure I leave the office on time these days.

Sleepwise I seem to keep alternating between falling asleep really early, and having very interrupted/restless nights. Gotta average that out somehow.

The kids are doing OK. Zany had a bad case of hand/foot/mouth disease but so far, she hasn't lost any fingernails or toenails so it could be worse! The scars are still pretty amazing though.

Buglet has been having her usual trouble with staying asleep and not freaking out at night... we're managing it pretty well through a few different tactics, and she seems relieved and better rested overall. I think now she's gone five nights without any major screaming freakouts in the wee hours so that's good. (Good for my sleep too.)

The beach vacation was definitely not relaxing, though it was fun for my kids and relatives, and that's the real point I guess. Still, I really want a "staycation" some time. Maybe while the kids are in school so I can just be a lazy bum all day and decompress!

I'll let Optimus fill you in on how he's doing, but my take is that it's pretty much the same. He is still hungry far too often and delays meals because our time at home with the kids is SO busy, especially during the week. This is the disadvantage of us both working full time, I think.

Let's see, what else. My business is doing pretty well. Thank god it runs itself for all but 3 hours a week, because I've been ignoring it a LOT. I would really like to get back to developing more creative output for it though, maybe would result in more $$$ too.

Bleeh, so tired. I still feel confident that this way of eating is the way to go for health, but I'm also still waiting for that "boundless energy." But I don't think that will happen while our kids are this age, while my stress is so high, and my exercise still extremely low.

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone!

Been super busy, but I am feeling good lately. I'll just do a quick rundown because soon my family will be home.

FOOD: I've been fixing large vats of primal chili which has become a staple for when I am lazy. I like it with cut fresh peppers, hot and plain green. Yum. We cannot afford grass-fed meat now, but otherwise I think it's very healthy.

I've given up ice cream, but not popcorn or yogurt. I have toned them down a LOT, though.

EXERCISE: I finally got my bike fixed, and I have really enjoyed taking it on short runs around the area after the kids go to sleep. Jen and I also went roller skating. I still got it, and I still love it. We both had a good time. I got plenty of cardio, sprints, and strength-building there. We cannot do it every weekend, because it's an hour away, and because of the kids, but we'll try to go more often than never.

Sleep: Still resent sleep, and don't get enough. But it's better than it had been when last I was whining on the forum.

STUPID MISTAKES: Trying to be much more aware. A few months ago I almost ran over my wife with the car. I now feel very stupid, and am extremely attentive every time I am behind the wheel (as we all should be anyway!)

HOBBY for the MIND: I have realized that I inadvertently started a new hobby: Reading and learning about sociopaths and serial killers. I'm reading my eighth book now. Most of them focused on Ted Bundy, but I also have books on the Green River Killer, Jeff Dahmer, and John Gacy. Very interesting stuff.

I want to read more within the forum, check out other people's threads. Time is one issue, as is inexperience with forums in general. This is the first I've really joined. But I've met some pretty cool people here and would like to know some of you better.

So, there we are. I'm beginning to finally feel like I'm getting this and able to commit to it. I just wish we had more local primal friends. it's amazing how hard it is to find something at restaurants or family gatherings that are not infested with corn syrup or grain products.

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Terrifying little piece of propaganda:

Ice-cream ads: words fail me. In a good way. - Boing Boing

Hi everybody. Sorry we've been MIA. Just trying to coast along... a lot of digestive trouble for me, illness all around the family, work was even crazier than usual (my old boss is now my ex-boss!) and it hasn't been pleasant and there's been no spare time for anything.

Digestive trouble: they thought maybe I had diverticulitis and/or blockage. It cleared up with various medicines but I had another bad weekend soon after. Getting a colonoscopy next week to confirm whether anything physiologically concerning is evident. I have that history of IBS so it might not be anything obvious, but it's so painfully focused in one particular location, that's pretty unusual. We'll see. I picked up some VSL-3 probiotics and have been hitting them heavy in the hope they'll help before and after that.

Eating: Haven't been as on-plan as I hoped, but I have also needed to allow myself leeway due to how life has been going and the logistics thereof. Optimus has done a great job helping me w/ salad and soup prep. For once I have the soup made with all bone broth which is a nice bonus and should help my digestion. I also have extra broth to drink during my no-solids colonoscopy prep (and won't THAT be a thrill!)

Fitness: Um, not as bad as it could be? I've been using the standing desk, walking a lot, and taking my preschooler to the pool. I still haven't entirely brought myself to do proper primal-style bodyweight exercises. I obviously need to, I just... I dunno... I'm really whiny and lazy basically. Gotta get going though.

Sleep: My sleep sucks! I've been going to bed at a reasonable hour but I keep having nightmares and the aforementioned digestive drama bugging me from 3am on every morning (which is weird if it's just IBS... IBS doesn't usually mess with sleep...) so, eeh.

Weight: which is of course a side effect of all of the above. I'm around 190. Better than it was when Zany was born, still nowhere near my goal though.

Anyway. I gotta TRY to catch up with all the threads, esp. journals, that I'm subscribed to here. Or at least stop in and say hi. How are you?

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back!
    We missed you

How are your pull ups?
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenny!! Glad to see you back. I've been a little MIA too, but be the season for it or something.

Winencandy -- My pull-ups are, uh, well I've been sporadically doing some negs that slightly reduce the acceleration of gravity! I haven't focused on it at all. I need to at least start some bodyweight exercises to get my core back in shape. I should've started a few months ago when they finally medically cleared me, but... lazy... hesitant... work killing me... no good excuse!

Pretty sure Sharon's a bot... Kh definitely is...

Saoirse -- I like this forum provided I choose carefully which threads to follow. I think it'll be good for motivation that I've reappeared. But I don't just need motivation, I need self-discipline, which is a different beast.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Self-discipline's an unruly bastard indeed.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

I'll have to discipline that bastard!! ... oh wait.

It's sort of pathetic that even thoughts like "I'm an older parent AND I'm overweight and if I don't get healthier, I am basically abandoning my children years earlier than necessary." don't get me going.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenny! Glad your back. The forum has been a ghost town. Sorry to hear about your troubles, I know you probably want me to shut my mouth but there IS always GAPS. The thing is you have to be 100% compliant, which I find is actually better for me as cheating begets cheating. Just a thought.

As for sleep maybe try GABA &/or calms forte, it's homeopathic and helpful.

How are your little ones? Are they little primalsauruses? Hope everything checks out rectally.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast