Page 96 of 101 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 96

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Suh'weeeeet
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Aila is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jenny!

I miss you! And am hoping you are managing, between ear infections, sick kiddos, Optimus' insomnia, work, etc. I so relate! I tell myself that even 5 minutes of purposeful relaxation counts for something.

Maintaining is better than backsliding! And YAY that your incision is healed up enough for you to get back in the water without trepidation!

See you whenever you come up for air!
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Aila! We just got back from the PAX convention in Boston (the one we were talking to Patrick about.) It was loads of fun.

Of course we also picked up "con rot" -- illness acquired at a big convention. This year my brother and I got diarrhea instead of the more usual respiratory bug. That might've been the food, though? Dunno. It may have been exacerbated by my antibiotics (thanks to my ear infection, which mercifully didn't pop during my plane ride.) Or maybe the antibiotics helped prevent another respiratory bug? WHO KNOWS.

Anyway, we're mostly over that already. Believe me, I'm ready to get back to eating paleo-properly!

All the walking and running we did at the convention is a good kickstart to exercising more seriously again, too. I was pleased to see I had enough endurance for all that walking. Sure I started to get tired on Day 3 but really, compared to how easily winded I was months ago when I started my regular walking at work, this is great.

(Yeah, I know "being able to walk" is not much to brag about, but I'm improving! And I jogged a few blocks without dying, too, which was also a novelty.)

So let's see... I have a big event for my SL business April 21-27, baby's ear tubes go in on the 27th... evenings will be pretty busy but I WILL fit in some swimming too.

I also want to get back to working on my pull-ups and general bodyweight exercises from Sisson's book. I'm in dire need.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Glad you had a good time, despite being sick. My buddy said it was an awesome PAX. I was really sad I couldn't make it. He sent me a picture of a cosplay girl to make me feel better. It did not.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

It was good. I liked it almost as much as last time except that I missed Wheaton / Kurtz / Straub. Also, that meant no live D&D which is usually epic. They said they'll try to work something out for next year.

We aren't sure if we're going to hit PAX East every year or just every other year.

Depends on the kid factor, I think -- we ditched the kids at my parents' house this time. That meant missing my 3-year-old's birthday (OUCH) although she's had so many birthday parties in the surrounding days, I'm honestly not sure she understands that a birthday is a particular day.

We're thinking maybe next time, my parents will come up with us and stay in the neighboring room with the kids. Then we can see the kids in the morning and evening, and during the day my parents/kids can visit my relatives in NH (not far away.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Oh, and speaking of exercise... the giant two-level, two-slide, three-swing swingset will be arriving in the next couple weeks!

And our baby girl has hit the tipping point of "walking more than crawling."

So between those two items, I anticipate a lot of running around like crazy people. The baby is such a climber, we'll have to figure out exactly what limits we must set on climbing re: swingset. Hooboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Oh, and speaking of exercise... the giant two-level, two-slide, three-swing swingset will be arriving in the next couple weeks!
    AWWWWW!! Can I come play, too? Pwease?

If your mommy says it's okay and you have a current passport, you can come and play anytime!

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Jenny;772932] I think Optimus is dealing with both kinds of waking -- middle of the night natural waking (which as Patrick said doesn't go too well with a modern schedule) and also kids waking up.

Saoirse, we're unusual in that he's always been a lighter sleeper than me.....Also working on convincing our toddler that she can go pee and then go back to bed without our intervention, "like a big girl."....At least the baby sleeps well! But that may be because she can't hear us....

Yeah, sleeping is a bit better for me, except that out older child is tantruming at bed time, when we're ready to leave her, whether we spent a half hour our two hours with her. So, we've shortened the routine and basically leave her screaming. Hopefully she'll adjust. Additionally, after several nights of taking her BACK to her room up to six or seven times during a night, we basically made it so that she cannot open her door. She seems calmer, actually, since then. I hope that she's actually calmer rather than just beaten.

The younger one got her ears fixed today, so we'll see if she goes to sleep easy from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Hey, Jenny. No, I can't hit PAX......Also, this doesn't excuse Optimus from his push-up regime.
    Too bad you missed it. It was fun. Cold, though. I'm not where I want to be with exercise. I was so tired all the time when our kid was waking me up...

Exercise: Jen and I have talked a about exercise. We both walk quite a bit now. My workouts are not consistent lately, although I was going strong for a while there. Jen struggles with a multitude of other commitments. Hopefully she can get back to swimming.

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PRIMAL JOURNAL 2012

LIKE AN ADDICT

4/27/2012
    I’ve been wanting to get back to the forum for some time now, but have been extremely busy with work (covering two jobs, but the new employee is almost ready to take over a caseload).

One thing I’ve noticed going over old entries: I frequently talk about the same things, what non-primal food I’m willing to eat, goals I STILL have not met after all of this time, and frustration that I still don’t feel awesome.

Meanwhile, Jen was complaining that she had been eating off plan frequently, and that, in general, she did not feel like she was meeting her goals. She actually felt some guilt over it, like she’s prioritizing short-term pleasure over longer life with our kids.

I do not think there’s any reason to feel guilty. We care about our kids, ourselves and living a good long life.

I DO think that it’s important to come up with as many ways to stay primal as possible, starting with, whenever we pick up that non-primal option, we really consider it, whether it’s something we really want, whether there’s a good substitute, and whether we’re going over twenty percent (if we should even do that).

I do think some allowances are fine. However, in the last month, we’ve had cake many times (too many birthday parties), and that’s just some of it. We’ve also rather casually had chips and other things.

It’s the “casually” that got me thinking: There comes a time when we know what our goals are and we know what to do. It’s now come to just buckling down and doing it.

So, since Jen and I had this conversation, we have done the following:
    1) Wednesday nights (dinner at Jan’s parents), we usually have some noodles or rice, sometimes pancakes. Sometimes I’ll have coffee with sugar. Those nights will still be part of the 20 percent, but we may try to eat first at home, so we’re not so hungry.
    2) If we have chips, one bowl. But we’ve already caught ourselves and NOT ate chips on several occasions.
    3) I’ve resisted on several occasions eating fast food or candy (although I did have a burger while with a coworker, because I had not made lunch to carry with me).
    4) I will make more sweet potato chips.
    5) We have begun making and storing LOTS of containers of chili and soup, both primal. I eat those a lot.
    6) Many more things we can do: insert here.

Some barriers:
    -School provides mostly crunchy snacks to the kids. While even the doctor agrees that non-primal stuff should be limited, that is what everyone’s having. So, do we single the kids out if they want to have the crackers, etc? Not sure....

-My family: THAT is a problem. They serve lots of cake, bread, noodles, and we’ve been spending some time with them. Even the fruit, which is good for us in many ways...Most of it is of the very sweet kind: oranges, grapes, bananas...
    Quote from my father: “Get it out of your head that noodles are a bad thing. They’re a good source of carbohydrates, which people need...”
    I will sometimes have noodles. But I won’t agree with him. He has diabetes, and he still has high blood sugar, so....Plus he takes a bunch of meds for it and other things. I don’t want that for me. I don’t want that for HIM, but we Italians have many old habits and traditions. My aunt still tells me “Get plenty of meat, vegetables, fruit and grains.”

Anyway, I am Andrew, and I am a sugar addict. I got far more into this than I thought I would, despite my frustration with myself. I originally planned to cut down soda to reduce my chance of diabetes. Now I’m thinking about it all of the time, and, despite my willingness to indulge sometimes, I think this lifestyle is worth striving for.

Now I think I may have some feeling for what addicts go through when they try to tell their drinking buddies or other friends that they no longer want this or that drug. At least for them, it’s clear that there are good reasons. Try to turn down birthday cake and see what you get. Or worse, noodles and bread.

Page 96 of 101 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast