Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 95

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi all. Can't sleep. Don't know why. That's been a problem. It's like, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I wake all the way up.

Food: Doing better. Some off-plan, but primal for the most part. Been eating lots of eggs, meat, chili, primal fuel, fruit, and veg. Still not sure I'm eating enough, but we're already spending a lot on food.

I have been primarily drinking water, and we got an infiser, so I get lemon water, etc. I've also been drinking a lot of green tea, but have trained myself to not use sugar with it. I don't like other teas without it, so I carry green tea packets with me.

Exercise: more consistant, improving but have a long way to go. Jen states that I am gaining muscle, so that's good. Doing primal movements. Feeling good about it.

I feel bad for Jen. She's super busy working at work and home, so she's not getting as much exercise or relaxation as she should. Hopefully things will calm down for her. She certainly takes good care of us all.

Okay. That's it for now. Night.
    Last edited by Optimus Primal; 03-21-2012 at 11:24 PM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I barely slept last night myself. Not so sure why its that way.

Things have been crazy here lately as well.
    Georgette

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Primal View Post
    Hi all. Can't sleep. Don't know why. That's been a problem. It's like, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I wake all the way up.
    Actually, that means you're finally sleeping properly. It just doesn't jive well with how we live nowadays. I often wake up fully sometime between 1:30am and 3am and am up for a good half hour or so.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Actually, that means you're finally sleeping properly. It just doesn't jive well with how we live nowadays. I often wake up fully sometime between 1:30am and 3am and am up for a good half hour or so.
    huh, any sources? seems counter-intuitive from an evolutionary perspective in light of babies frequently night-waking.

hopefully it will turn out to be nothing Jenny. It seems everyone has a different definition of "talking." mine never really talked until well after 2, but that's coherent speech (saying "daddy" and referring specifically to daddy). both of my older two score well in fluency and vocabulary, so if that's what you're talking about I wouldn't worry too much. By contrast, one of my professors claims that his daughter is talking; she's maybe 7 months old. Obviously she's doing the baby babble thing.

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Regarding sleeping. If being up at night for a while IS normal, then it may be a problem for our busy kid/work-infested daily schedule. Need more hours in a day. Who knows. As I work out maybe I'll need less sleep anyway. that's how I used to be.

Sources?! Do you not read Mark's blog? He's talked about this quite a lot, as have other ancestral health folk.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    ehh...sometimes...*ducks*

ahhh...reading skills. optimus is waking up independently and being wide awake. i was thinking (maybe projecting?) that the kids were waking him up and he was having a hard time falling back to sleep (i've forgotten that your girls sleep so well). in my limited experience, men seem to have a much harder time waking up for kids, then falling back to sleep than women do. either that or the men that i know are just great liars. *g* regardless, waking up to tend babies/small children is a different matter altogether than just simply waking up. I haven't read much about what mark says WRT to nightwaking, but i have read about it a bit in the context of a mother/baby pair, which is the evolutionary norm. that's the POV i was coming from.

in the context optimus actually provided, i do that too sometimes. it's usually when i go to sleep before 10 pm, i will wake up around 3-4 and stay wakeful just long enough for the sun to come up, then i'm tired again. i fix this by just staying up later.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 03-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    As always, sorry I've been so MIA, everybody. Big things happening and eating up all my time I would usually spend here!

I think Optimus is dealing with both kinds of waking -- middle of the night natural waking (which as Patrick said doesn't go too well with a modern schedule) and also kids waking up.

Saoirse, we're unusual in that he's always been a lighter sleeper than me, wheras I get so comatose that it takes me a very, very long time to rouse even if the baby is screaming and I'm the only one home. So when our toddler wakes up to use the potty, has a nightmare (or whatever) he ends up handling it. Even when I do, of course it wakes him up. And then regardless of whodunit, then he has great difficulty falling back asleep.

I suggested maybe a very low-dose melatonin pill to get back to sleep without being totally groggy in the morning. Gotta put the bottle somewhere more obvious so he remembers that option, though.

Also working on convincing our toddler that she can go pee and then go back to bed without our intervention, "like a big girl." We'll see if that starts sinking in.

At least the baby sleeps well! But that may be because she can't hear us: the test showed she does have mild hearing loss. They'll install tubes at the end of April and that should be a total fix.

Her hearing issues may be intermittent depending on fluid levels in her ear. But the pediatrician and I think the fluid pressure has been pretty consistent; I've brought her in many times to get checked for ear infections and in retrospect, his response was always "It's not infected but there's definitely fluid in there." Anyway, since even intermittent fluid can cause issues, the tubes seem like the clear-cut way to go.

I have an ear infection myself right now. Second one in a month. I'm prone to them on one side (so no wonder my kid has drainage issues...)

Let's see, what else. We've been sick so much in between tremendous projects for my business, so I'm basically just coasting along maintaining my weight, still not exercising much other than walking. Yeah yeah, excuses. On the upside, at least it means my incision had a few months to get really solid before I jumped back into swimming. I finally feel safe again!

Patrick, still PAXing? We gotta get together somehow/when. Want me to PM you my cell #?
    Last edited by Jenny; 03-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Hey, Jenny. No, I can't hit PAX. My work time off and the time I'd be in Boston don't line up. Off by a week. Maybe next year, though. I'm bummed about it, but kind of relieved. Truth be told, it's an expense I can't really afford at this particular point in time. I want to see pictures and read all about it, though!!

Also, this doesn't excuse Optimus from his push-up regime.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Oh that's no fun... Well, good luck for next year then.

Heheh, Optimus has some nice arm muscles coming up now actually. Surely we'll both be fab for when you put us through our paces drill-sergeant-style next year. ;)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast