Page 9 of 101 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 9

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rather than doublepost, I'll just crosslink to what I just posted:
    Another possible convert -- from Weight Watchers
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...120#post318120

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Cereal commercial: 95% of Americans aren't getting enough whole grain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Tp7HgpS2U

Mmmsalad:

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    PRIMAL LEAP POST 10

Week 4
    Diet Action Item 1: Manipulating Caloric Intake/Week 4 Food Log:

Thereís talk in this section of controlling caloric intake to reach the sweet spot to lose weight. Given that this is not my goal, Iíll just discuss how close or not close I have come to maintaining mys\ numbers in the maintenance range.

Per the first week, my calculations suggested the following ideal numbers daily:

Protein: 90 grams
    Carbohydrates: 100-150 grams
    Fat: 134 grams
    Total Calories: 1,969

Week 4 Food Logs:
    Jan 24:
    3 Fage yogurt cups
    Fresh Strawberries with plain yogurt and 2 tsp sugar
    Fresh blueberries
    5 oz sirloin
    Pistachio nuts

Jan 25:
    4 Fage yogurt cups
    3 packages fresh blueberries
    4 oz sirloin
    A salad (homemade, with carrots, celery, spring onion, tomato, green pepper, red wine vinegar)
    2 Bane chicken wings
    12 Doritos

Jan 26:
    Soup (homemade from wife, celery, onion, carrots, turkey, salt and pepper)
    5 Fage yogurt cups
    Fresh Strawberries with plain yogurt
    Fresh blueberries
    10 oz grape tomatoes
    4 Bane chicken wings
    2.5 cups of pasta with meatballs (this more than doubled my carbs)
    6 Reeces Pieces (which I very much enjoyed. I threw the rest of the bag in the trash.

Jan 27:
    4 Fage yogurt cups
    10 oz grape tomatoes
    Half cup of pistachios
    4 Bane chicken wings
    Fresh blueberries
    Homemade soup (from wife, celery, onion, carrots, turkey, beef, salt and pepper)
    Salad

Previous results from food logs:

Jan 1: Calories: 2864 Carbs: 339 grams Fat: 97 grams Protein: 163 grams
    Jan 2: Calories: 4593 Carbs: 81 grams Fat: 327 grams Protein: 321 grams
    Jan 6: Calories: 2838 Carbs: 222 grams Fat:165 grams Protein: 131 grams
    Jan 7 Calories: 3381 Carbs: 187 grams Fat: 338 grams Protein: 341 grams
    Jan 12: Calories: 2548 Carbs: 182 grams Fat: 152 grams Protein: 127 grams
    Jan 13: Calories: 2438 Carbs: 220 grams Fat: 126 grams Protein: 121 grams

Week 4 food log results:

Jan 24: Calories: 1858 Carbs: 157 grams Fat:111 grams Protein: 100 grams
    Jan 25 Calories: 1619 Carbs: 174 grams Fat: 66 grams Protein: 85 grams
    Jan 26: Calories: 2688 Carbs: 294 grams Fat: 109 grams Protein: 134 grams
    Jan 27: Calories: 1818 Carbs: 141 grams Fat: 101 grams Protein: 94 grams

Averages:

Jan 1 & 2: Calories: 5,135 Carbs: 207 grams Fat: 212 grams Protein: 242 grams
    Jan 6 & 7: Calories: 3,109.5 Carbs: 204 grams Fat: 251 grams Protein: 241 grams
    Jan 12 & 13: Calories: 2493 Carbs: 201 grams Fat: 139 grams Protein: 124 grams
    Jan 24-27: Calories: 1995 Carbs: 194 grams Fat: 96.75 grams Protein: 103.25 grams

Comments:

Iím clearly not staying within the recommended 100 to 150 carb level, although I definitely below what I was doing every day. Plus, you can see that my averages went down in the last week.

It seems that the few exceptions Iíve made, including pasta, a few chips, or a couple pieces of candy, to take me over that limit. Of course, those days in the future when I try a soda it will be the same or worse. The primal foods that may up my carbs (berries, for example), do I need to limit those? The Fage yogurts are not bad, but if I eat enough, the bit of sugar in them must affect me as well.

I need to decide how much indulging I will be willing to do.....Thatís still tough for me.

Additionally, I am clearly eating a lot of protein. I love meat, and tend to have a lot, especially since Iím cutting down on so many other foods I used to like, or used to eat a lot of. Does it matter that Iím usually getting more fat and protein than I used to?

Exercise Action Items 1-3: Recovery Period/Continue Aerobic Workouts/Continue Strength Workouts:
    As I said, I will be following this in a structured way later. This has been difficult due to severe sleep deprivation. However, I have had a few strenuous workouts from shoveling snow, and I have taken several walks (but I have not been monitoring my heart).

Lifestyle Action Item 1: Primal Leap Conclusion and Future [EXTENDING THE LEAP]:
    I am not ready to make conclusions about the Leap or my future, except that I like the trend I am on. Due to difficult circumstances, I was very tired all of the time, and did not follow much of an exercise or lifestyle program, compared to what I would like to.

Therefore, I am extending the leap by a month. Next week I will begin the program again, primarily focusing on the following:
    Exercise: Iíd like to begin focusing on the exercises more, now that I think weíre beginning to get a bit more sleep.
    Lifestyle laws: Especially sleep, play, pursuit of hobbies (I have read SOME of the book I like, and fixed the Bane chicken recipe twice by myself. Woohoo!)
    Food: I will decide what level of commitment I am willing to make here, how much of and what non-primal foods, if any, I am willing to continue to enjoy. I will, of course, become more creative with primal foods as well!

BeagleMan is online now Senior Member
    that salad looks good! lots of colours too. yummy

Ellie G is offline Senior Member
    Ooh, that salad looks super good!

That's Optimus's salad. Tragically I am not a big fan of raw tomato or any form of peppers.

Speaking of things I am not a big fan of... I finally got so grossed out the other day that I declared I'm not eating chicken off the bone anymore. I just can't handle it. Yeah, I'm a meat wimp.

We have some whole birds to roast and I can handle those since there are nice clearly defined sections of meat to be had off the breast. But I can't picture myself attempting any limbs unless starving and desperate, seriously.

In other news, I've been making a lot of soup lately. Optimus was nice enough to precut a ton of veggies for me, and those are in the freezer just waiting to become soup-ified in batches. It's definitely a good way to get red meat, for me -- ground beef.

And we asked our toddler last night "Do you want some soup?" and she flipped out going "YAY SOUP" and ran to the table. Yay primal toddler! This is basically the only way we've been able to get her to eat veggies, to boot.

Optimus -- I'm glad you like the trend so far! Regarding extending the leap by a month, arguably just plain continuing to be as consistently primal as possible is the same thing, whether you call it a "Leap" or not.

You can reboot your exercise program along with me once I'm cleared to do that. (they keep canceling my appointment due to snow and I keep rescheduling...) I'm just anxious because that one spot in my incision is STILL not healing right...

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Jenny- i'm not a big fan of chicken-on-the-bone either (unless it's chicken wings). sometimes i can find boneless chicken thighs (yummy dark meat with no bone- win!) sorry to hear that your incision isn't healing right. i wonder if a little dab of tea tree oil would help- it seems to speed the healing of my (much smaller) wounds.

optimus- your salad looks delish! almost more like a relish.

Yeah Saoirse, it's the whole... fiddly bits that may or may not be meat factor that gets to me. Are wings any better than drums in that regard? I'd assumed drumsticks would be the most straightforward.

It's just one last little spot of my incision that won't heal, probably because I've been sitting a lot now that I'm back at work and, since my tummy folds there, it doesn't get a lot of air. I double-bandaided it this morning hoping that will kinda give it some breathing room. I've been alternating days of nothing, neosporin, and tea tree oil. Really not sure what else to do!

Our salads tend to me more about the veggies without a lot of leafyness. Most people think of salad as lettuce/spinach-plus-stuff... we just have the stuff. It keeps better in the fridge that way if you don't end up having the whole thing, and you can prep it the day before.

P.S.: Frustrated, I just did some googling for "c-section incision won't heal". Several people who had months of issues reported them miraculously fixed by a few weeks of applying malanuka honey. Oh honey, is there nothing you don't fix?!

Gotta make sure it gets air, too. Maybe I should wad up some gauze and tape it there.

Page 9 of 101 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast